Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We begin construction of our new house in 2 weeks. It will be going in the side of a bank and it will be a walk in style. We are trying to finalize the design for the pedestal and the doors. Does anyone have pictures of their walk-in style house? We have a good location where we should be able to excavate 5' - 6' allowing for a total house height of 6.5'-7'5 feet. I am trying to figure out the best way to install a pedestal ~4.5' high as well as door options that will not be in the line of site when shooting.

I found this post from Doc! in 2016: Walk-in trap houses? This is very close to what I am aiming for as far as size and layout.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Ours look like the pictures from Doc. We did pour a concrete pedestal for the trap.
We put by-fold vertical doors that connect at the outer edges on the house, and come together and lock in the center of the house. You can see a little of them when open but it has not caused any trouble.

·
Registered
71 Posts
At our club the houses are built into a bank so that the top of the house is normal height. You have to walk down some steps by one and then enter a full height door on the front. The other is larger and actually a little wider than regulation. Same full height doors in front. One thing you have to keep in mind is drainage when you are built into a bank. Water would tend to stay behind the house and soak into the ground. Then in the winter when the ground freezes and expands, it pushes against the back wall with a lot of force. A few years ago we had to rebuild one of the houses because the wall was cracked and bowing in. The other one is going to need it soon. When we rebuilt it, we put a lot of river rock around the block walls to hopefully minimize this problem. The floor is poured concrete and the pedestal is just concrete block.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Double adobe shooting park, Mcneal, Az has walk in doors. They are on the left side near the back. Being on an embankment is a great venue.

Mcneely5 here used to own the club. He might have pictures and such of the houses

Al

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Those are both great! Thank you. Have you decided what you will be doing for doors on your house yet?
I am not sure what they have in store for doors for the top picture.

The ones at Cardinal Center don't have any, but IF I were to put doors on those I would hinge them at the bottom and have one of those little Harbor Freight 110VAC electric winches in the center of the inside roof to raise and lower it. If not enough room to install it in the center, put it one one side or the other and use a pully system to get the cable over the center. I am a former fabricator, and I am sure anyone in the club who has some experience doing this could come up with a plan.

Just use a hook and eye so when the door is down you can remove the cable so it's out of the way. Drape the cable over a small hook at the top of one inside corner of the house, and when ready to close up for the day, just re-hook the cable to the door top and lift it back to the up position.

Just something to think about

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hinging the door at the bottom would put the door in the way.
What about a roll up door?
Henry
I think roll up would be great but I haven't been able to find one that would fit a regulation trap house dimensions. I had an idea like shotgunpeople mentioned above. If you make the door heavy duty enough you should be able to walk across it. I also read on here of a club doing 3 removable panels which sounded good but I have not seen any pictures of how they did it. We are in the Northeast so we do need something that will withstand rain and snow. I am also continuing to toss around the idea of a hinged roof so we can load full stacks but need to meet with our contractor to understand how much that will impact cost. I plan to show him the pictures everyone has posted here.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
we used a hinged roof at the club I belonged to in South Carolina, went up with Gas Shocks. Don't know how it would work if a lot of snow was on it.

The bottomed hinged door idea I had would have been with something like 3/4" plywood, supported so you could walk on it.

Monahmat sounds like you are up around my old stomping grounds, Central Upstate NY ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Monahmat sounds like you are up around my old stomping grounds, Central Upstate NY ?
I'm in Cooperstown. The new house is going in at the Cooperstown Sportsmen's Club. They are primarily a skeet club but I'm trying to broaden their horizons. There are currently no clubs throwing registered birds within an hour drive so I'm working hard to make sure this house gets built right and we can get some registered shoots going.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Monahmat,

We belonged to the Canandaigua, Walworth, Shortsville, and All of these NY clubs had the hinged at the bottom doors.

IN the winter we just had to shovel snow from the front of the house, took maybe 3 to 5 minutes.

They were good and stable to walk on without problems, and as you know, we got lots of weather up there.

Good luck, and let us know how and what you come up with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.