Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gun Id like to get the receiver Titanium Nitrided but in the color of MY choice not the only one they offer...anybody know who does this? I'd like either a silver /gray shade or the bronze tone of the olde Greystone Berettas..like to gather a list of as many candidates as possible

·
Registered
13,589 Posts
Titanium Nitride only comes in one color, gold. If you want a different color, it will be a different compound.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I thought it only came in gold.

Calvin, could it be that you are looking for CeraKote? (see link above)

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chip..thanks but no...there are places that do "TiN" plating in many various colors but its whether or not they will do what is small piece work to them and some want nothing to do with a "firearm part" I think that Arts may do the trick..looking for a nice pewterish finish after a bit of engraving on a blued receiver

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
TiN coating is only GOLD and can only be done on steel or stainless steel.

Anodizing can be had in a rainbow of colors but that's for aluminum only.

Cerekote and such are COATINGS, applied to the part, and it comes in a rainbow of colors.

Newer Browing are ion nitrided...this is a heat-treating process...a very controled case hardening. This is what Art's does. When the part comes from the oven, it then needs to be polished to remove the light dusty "scale" that forms.

There are other form of nitriding using the physical vapor deposition method. I believe the method used on Beretta Graystone receivers was AlTiN. This leaves a dark violet colored part.

My believe for the reason Beretta discontinued the process was the labor involved to polish the receiver to perfection, prior to the coating.

There are companies that offer the AlTiN process, but they do not polish, nor do they have an FFL to keep your firearms overnight.

Doug

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Doug..Is there any way to retain /replace the gold model designation "decal" that Browning uses...Like on the GTIs, Special Traps etc? After a rebluing?

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
The above website shows available ( to this shop ) colors. Now to see if I can find a place that will do firearms.

Don T

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
And;

http://coatingservicesgroup.com/coatings

Might get you where you want to go.

Don T

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
Says shotgun recievers are $90 bux to do.

Don T

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
My old Infinity"One of One" had the receiver done in black TIN---the gun can be viewed of the DeVault Industries website under used guns "sold"

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Be sure to ask any of the above if polishing is included in the price. One of the above does not included dis-assembly or re-assembly and ony bead-blasts of of the parts.

The $90 receiver company has a minimum charge of $300. Sounds like you may need to send 4 receivers.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Just to clarify TiN is Gold in color. ALTiN is titanium aluminum nitrite and is black in color. The are two other types of coating in different colors but I have not worked with those. One word of caution be sure that the parts you are coating do not have silver soldier or any adhesive present during the coating process. The vacuum will suck out all the impurities and trash the vacuum pump. I did that in my first job and the pump was $ 2,500.00 to replace. The company we use does the high heat process not a flash coating. The flash coating is a low temp process and it has a problem of coming off with sweat or acid in your hands. The company we use is Hard Coat Technologies and they are in Monroe Falls Ohio. The manager's name is Tim. Great folks to work with and they do great work. Their phone number is 330-686-2136. I hope that this will help.

Dennis DeVault

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Calven,their is a place in Michigan that specializes in the different kinds of coatings. They have a web site and right now I can't think of the name. They have some impressive pic. Try googling chrome, nickel. Titanium plating for Michigan. Bill

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Gold lettering on new Brownings...this is just gold plating. It is possible to reblue a gun with gold plating as long as you're careful not to polish into the plating. If you really want to replace the gold, you could have stencils cut and have a gold plater "wash" over the stencil.

Anything else...Cerakoting, nickel plating, TiN coating etc, will cover the gold plate. When I nickel plate Brownings, I hand polish the gold plating off prior to the glass-beading and nickel plating.

Perazzi have gold inlay letters, some firmly seated into the metal, most not. Most of the time the gold lettering will blow out during the glass beading.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Doug..I thought for sure the lettering on those Browning guns was some type of cheesy decal or gold paint...I may actually go with a reblue then as I'm usually careful not to palm a gun under the receiver like this guns previous owner...its a BT100 so I assume that the trigger assembly side panel jeweling was etched into a chrome plate base and therefore wont be affected if it is thrown in "the tank" too?? Thanks to ALL ..this has been a wealth of info,...I thought of creating something very unique looking and the greystone treatment on the older 682 Golds always was the most attractive to me..which is the reason I'm trying to figure this all out

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Calvin, are you thinking more of a silver nitride coating? Pretty durable stuff with a nice silver/gray color and doesn't stick to gold from what I hear.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The "silver nitriding" is ion nitriding. No it does not affect gold INLAYS, but will not work well with gold plating. The part needs to be polished after the heat-treating.

WIKI--Silver nitride is an explosive chemical compound with symbol Ag3N. It is a black, metallic-looking [1] solid which is formed when silver oxide or silver nitrate [2] is dissolved in concentrated solutions of ammonia, causing formation of a silver-amide or imide complex which subsequently breaks down to Ag3N. The standard free energy of the compound is about +315 kJ/mol, making it an endothermic compound which decomposes explosively to metallic silver and nitrogen gas.[3]

Silver nitride is often produced inadvertently during laboratory experiments involving silver compounds and ammonia, leading to surprise detonations

Could some reloaders be using this^^^^when shooting their K-80s?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts