Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking for some 7/8 ounce 12 gauge load recipes for trap, I want to start the grand daughter out with these. I figure I can start her with these and work her up to 1 ounce and eventually 1 1/8. I figure it would be more economical than buying a 20 gauge gun and then a 12 gauge later.
Here is a list of components that I have on hand.

#8 shot but was considering #8 1/2 shot
Promo Powder
Green Dot Powder
Red Dot Powder
Remington STS and Nitro Hull
Have some TGT 12 wads but open to suggestions for other types of wads.

Thanks in advance everyone for any suggestions or recipes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are several 7/8 oz. loads using either the Red Dot or Promo in the Alliant manual. If you don't have a current book look at their web site.
For a 7/8 oz wad I would use either the Downrange XXL pink wad or the CB0178 wad. They are both good wads.

Green Dot is not a good powder for 7/8 oz. and I don't think there are any listed in the Alliant manual.

The #8 shot will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
12,273 Posts
7/8 ounce shot
any wad rated for same
Promo - around 16 grains

I worked this up for myself (the original recoil sissy). I started around 15 grains, which worked - sort of. I had a fair number of bloopers. Went to 15.5 which was better - unless it was cold (bloopers returned).

The bushing I use now throws right around 16.2 grains - which has been great. No bloopers and I find there is basically no recoil.

Reactions: Tat2Bruce

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Alliant Powder ⊕ Reloading and Reloading Data ⊕ Shotgun, Centerfire Rifle, Handgun, Cowboy, International Loads

has all the SAFE information you need. Just remember that loading data for Promo is the same weight as Rad Dot BUT since powder density is different you will have to use the bushing that throws the correct weight with the actual powder you are using. USE A SCALE TO WEIGH THE POWDER CHARGE YOU ARE USING.

I have used, depending on what was available at a given time, Promo, Nitro 100 (NF) or TiteWad in 7/8 Oz. loads using the Claybuster 4100 wad (Lightening) and have been very happy with the results. All of the loads I have used were right around the 1150-1200 FPS mark so recoil was quite light. My cases were usually Win AA, either CF or HS, but I also used the STS case with satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
The 4100cb is a great wad also. I shoot in fairly hot weather year round. If you find it a bit blooper like in the cold I've subbed the Fed 209 for the win.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the recipes, I have the Alliant manual, was looking for some pet loads or favorite loads that someone uses and had good luck with as far as pattern and cold weather shooting and so on.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
What do you want from her, how much does she weigh; 16 to 16.5 grains CLAYS with #8's and a spacer, try a 3/4 ounce, break her in low recoil
if you expect her to stay in. A soft 12G is better than a 20G lite. I sill have left over 20's my daughter didn't want, the 3/4 did the job.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think most of us understood what you were looking for. But again I want to caution that unless you actually take the time to verify the source of each "pet load" (factory or backyard ballistics), you're better off to go to a source where you can be sure that the data you'll work by has been tested and verified for safety and performance.[/QUOTE

I am a rifle reloader as well and I always check any pet loads I get against the manuals to make sure pressure limits are not exceeded. Reloading is always check , check and recheck with me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you want from her, how much does she weigh; 16 to 16.5 grains CLAYS with #8's and a spacer, try a 3/4 ounce, break her in low recoil
if you expect her to stay in. A soft 12G is better than a 20G lite. I sill have left over 20's my daughter didn't want, the 3/4 did the job.
Yes, I want to break her in with light recoil loads, my concern isnt so much getting on the birds at this point, but getting her comfortable and relaxed shooting the gun, then I figure once she is comfortable with the gun I will move up to 1oz loads for a while let her get comfortable with those, then maybe after a couple of months shooting see what she thinks about trying 1 1/8 oz. load. Also considering a gracoil system also, this way it will reduce recoil but as she grows I can lengthen the pull if need be. It also might help get her into 1 1/8 oz. loads a little quicker.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I use 15.5 Gr of ExtraLite and it works real well. Of what you have I'd use Red Dot. The wads you have should work if you use almost no wad pressure and don't mind the crimp being dished a bit. Good on you for making some loads that won't beat her up.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
for 16 yd trap or skeet, try Alliant's ExtraLight load for 7/8oz 1200fps, but use 3/4oz hard shot. Recoil is very light and this load works well. AA hulls and Downrange XXL pink make a pretty decent reload with minimum dishing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Any recipes for 7/8 load using 700 X powder ? Currently I have 5000 Winchester primers and probably 2000 TGT wads and 16 lbs of 700 X . I usually load 1 1/8 oz

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Any recipes for 7/8 load using 700 X powder ? Currently I have 5000 Winchester primers and probably 2000 TGT wads and 16 lbs of 700 X . I usually load 1 1/8 oz
In a sts hull the tgt will work with 1 1)8 using 15.5 grains. That is what I use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Played with some Claybuster TGT12's with 7/8 oz load for my daughter. That particular load didn't work as well as I would like so we just went to a light 1 oz load of 8's out of a Beretta 390 with recoil reducer, etc. Frankly, this all but eliminates recoil. The 1 oz loads cycle perfectly through the semi-automatic and she is not interested in changing guns and really enjoys shooting now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
15.5 grains of Titewad and the Downrange XXL Pink hull with either 3/4 or 7/8 Oz. lead will crush skeet targets and 16 yd. trap targets just like the heavy loads, without the recoil. The XXL wad was developed especially for applications like this. Also, I use reclaimed shot to further reduce costs, with no noticeable loss in performance. You can put this in either the Remington STS/Nitro hulls or the Win AA's as long as you adjust your reloader to provide a good crimp. Gotta keep the girls happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts