Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
No heat in the Trap house, no targets being thrown. The hydraulic buffer on our vintage Western Trap doesn't like the cold.
Minus 22 overnight last night.
Hummason shot works fine.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Lawry targets will break just fine in the extreme cold if you do your part.
I use 8 1/2 shot all year long for singles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Three feet of snow at the trap range. Won't be shooting for a while yet. Until then I just keep loading STS and Nitro hulls with my old Hornady 155. If I load on the 366 I get too many loaded too fast. LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Number 8 shot. Started out with an old Shannon Shotmaster. Had two drippers. A trap shooter came to me and said I will supply the wheel weights can you make me shot? He brought me 2,000 pounds of lead. Took me all summer to make his shot. My fee was $1 a pound which he was more than happy to pay. In turn I took that $2000 and picked up a Browning 725. I have since sold that shotmaker and now run a home made 6 dripper model. Needless to say production has increased.

Scrounging for lead and reloading is just as much fun as shooting. Hope lead wheel weights are still around for a few years yet.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Meet stuff gdkmedic.

Getting harder and harder to reload in Western Canada. Very few dealers carrying reloading components. Reloading 12 gauge generally isn’t cost effective and too few people reloading sub gauge for stores to carry reloading components in stock. I’ll keep doing it as long as I can keep scrounging components

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The problem in Western Canada - shot from Hummason costs $60+ a bag landed in Saskatoon based on 16 bag order. Wads can be ordered from Hummason or Lawry's.
You can buy primers from gun show suppliers at fair prices (when gun shows resume).
Buying cartridges in bulk, if your club has a bulk buy, is likely as good a deal as reloading, at current costs.
Challenger offers good prices in pallet load quantity.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem in Western Canada - shot from Hummason costs $60+ a bag landed in Saskatoon based on 16 bag order. Wads can be ordered from Hummason or Lawry's.
You can buy primers from gun show suppliers at fair prices (when gun shows resume).
Buying cartridges in bulk, if your club has a bulk buy, is likely as good a deal as reloading, at current costs.
Challenger offers good prices in pallet load quantity.
Yes being in Saskatchewan and only shooting on my property,I don't have access to any MT hulls other than my own. Shipping kills us getting primed hulls and powder and shot.I do it to pass the time but honestly I can buy maufactured shotshells cheaper most of the time. I enjoy trying to get that PERFECT load for the big geese in the fall. I love reloading rifle bullets and have done so for many many years but this shotgun reloading certainly is much more complicated and interesting.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have recently started to reload again, now that all the ranges here in Ontario are closed. I would normally load about 10 to 20 boxes a year for my Wobble Trap shoots and shoot factory for ATA and winter league shoots.
I recently purchased a new 8llb keg of clays powder, Claybuster SO wads 1,000 Cheddite primers and 25 llbs of shot. Using a published spreadsheet from The Lost Target I calulated the cost of my loads including sales tax at $8.20 per box based on Ontario costs. This does not include any cost for GM hulls as I have thousands.
I have been currently shooting Gold Medal Grands or AA's for the winter league shoots and either Challenger or Super Target for practice at around $7.35 a box or less. I buy the AA's and GMG's when the price rebate is on which helps to keep their price down, currently $100 per flat plus tax before any rebates.
Devonian.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts