Trapshooters Forum banner

Help me pick a new Shotgun

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new shotgun. I'm currently shooing a Remington 1100 that I've had screw in chokes installed that I use for everything - Sporting Clays, Skeet (very rare), Trap, Doubles, and Continental. I've been looking at all the B-Guns, and my budget is absolutely no more than $3k.

I shot a Browning BT-100 and really liked it. And also shot a TriStar TT-15 (I know the general feeling on these), other than some known quality issues, the TT-15 wasn't terrible.

I've had my hands on, but not shot yet:
Winchester 101
Browning BT-99
Browning Citori CXT
Browning Cynergy
and a Couple Beretta's

I know the BT-99 and BT-100 are very very close.

Currently I'm shooting abut 90% trap (singles and handicap) with the remaining 10% being a mix of everything else. I'm not opposed to getting a single barrel and continuing to use my 1100 for everything else. What are the
What are everyone's recommendation? I see a huge mix of everything at my Local Club and really having a hard time pinning down what I would like. I want to spend my money wisely. It just seems to me that its really hard to make a decision based on trying a borrowed gun for 1-2 games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
If you are shooting doubles and continental I would got with the CXT. I have a buddy the shoots a Cynergy trap combo, its a nice gun and he shoots it very well but some gunsmiths are scared of them. The Citori is a very reliable platform. I shoot a 99, so I have to steal my kids Citori to shoot doubles .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
bt99 would be my approach, you said you shot it and liked it and that you would not mind having a single barrel. The bt99 is well built and will serve you in a competitive way for years. Use your 1100 for everything else, they are a good shotgun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bt99 would be my approach, you said you shot it and liked it and that you would not mind having a single barrel. The bt99 is well built and will serve you in a competitive way for years. Use your 1100 for everything else, they are a good shotgun.
This is in line with what I was thinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
My first "trap" gun was the Crossover, now the CX. It is a very good all around gun, but the CXT is more trap than the CX. So shooting sporting clays may be more challenging.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
IF you come a high volume shooter you will most likely stray from your 1100...
After banging away thousands of rounds the last 4 years or so I'm starting to thin my autos out.
Get a good O/U !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
as others have stated the CXT is a lot of gun for the money, i bought one a few months ago and love it, i bought the CXT white with adjustable comb, they use Graco hardware now on the CXT model
 

·
Registered
Beretta TR1
Joined
·
563 Posts
I agree with Chief. If you are going to start shooting doubles, you'll need an over/under. The XT is a great gun that will stand up. Get the adjustable comb and you can make adjustments to fit your needs for handicaps, or just set it for handicaps and adapt for singles.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
The Cenergy is a very under estimated gun.
The original CX was a favorite of mine as well but never owned one.

Both will shoot relatively flat which you are perhaps already use to with the
1100.
Both would be a good choice if you are planning on shooting trap and Sporting Clays
JMHO
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top