Trapshooters Forum banner

Looking for input from members who own and shoot the Browning adjustable rib trap combo

993 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  cmccoy76
I am looking for input from forum members who own and shoot the new style Browning adjustable rib traps combo from Guns Unlimited. This is the model that has adjustable ribs on both the bottom single bl. and the O/U Bl.

Iam interested in the good bad and ugly---how well the rib locks and unlocks for adjustment etc.

Thanks in advance for a reply, George
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Yes that is the O/U model, here from Guns Unlimited it is the combo with a bottom single bl. and hard case.
No personal experience but 2 friends of mine who went from Perazzi and Beretta respectively to this model are completely over the moon with their choices.

That's not a direct answer to your rib adjustability question, but maybe the fact that neither has complained is an indication that it works fine.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
The unsingle adjusts by loosening two set screws about mid-way. You can then adjust the front via thumb dial and the rear via slotted screw that has positive clicks similar to the front dial. Not the cleanest way but effective nonetheless. There's some rattle to it but not during the shot.

The OU rib is a single point adjustment via thumb screw at front and the rear pivots freely on a hinge. Tool-less, I can and have adjusted it between posts. The center of the rib rests on/in a cradle with a rubber bumper to prevent rattling. Again, no audible rattle during the shot.

Ergonomics are typical 725 and comb hardware's Graco so nothing new there. I opted to forgo the recoil reducer but again, standard Gracoil.

I'm roughly 1500 targets into mine and so far so good. I added one of @BENCHREST Braun through the pad adjustables and a Microcell. I also filled the stock with shot to help with balance while using the OU barrels (front heavy) and ended up shooting both barrels better.

Figuring I have about 1200 through the bottom firing pin...it was showing signs of pitting and wasn't hitting Federal primers hard with a FTF issue of about one in ten. Last night I swapped the bottom pin and spring with JP Products so we'll see if that resolved the issue.

Overall... Love the combo. It's likely going to become my primary gun over my Summit combo. It moves smoothly but is capable of shifting gears to catch up with those hard angles that surprise you. I was concerned about losing some consistency as I began the move into making the GU 725 adjustable combo my primary over my Summit. It took less than 500 "serious" targets to gain the same level of confidence as I had with the Summit. Doubles...unreal. In my previous years of ATA doubles I think I've only come close to a 90 once. I've shot three doubles events with the 725 and the last two were well into the 90's. I did have trouble at first, trapping the trigger but that was me. Adjusting resolved it.

As far as the trigger... nothing to write about. It works. Not the greatest and certainly not the worst.

Pros:
Awesome grip/swell allows consistent hand placement and repeatable mount without thought.
Adjustable hardware is fairly simple and hasn't budged a bit.
Positive ejection throws them plenty far.
Balance is acceptable.
Moves perfect for me.

Cons:
The firing pin issue is real.
Stock sorta looks like a boat oar. Pretty wood but...
Unsingle adjustments require more tools than I would like.
No cast can lead to a ledge underneath the comb.
Factory pad sucks but I ordered the aforementioned items the same day I ordered my combo.
Slotted stock bolt, wish it was hex.
Doesn't come with stock wrench.
Factory tubes thread in easily for 2/3's then require a wrench to fully seat. Won't be an issue for some but I prefer hand tight.

Would I buy another?
Absolutely.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
WadHopper, great evaluation, except my 2017 unsingle is adjustable at the rear of the rib also. Yes it rattles, quite annoying. The factory DS choke tubes do require a wrench, because of a brass seal ring, the aftermarket I patterned do not require a wrench. But also didn't pattern as well as the Browning.
I have had mine for 2 years, going on 25000 trouble free rounds.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
WadHopper, great evaluation, except my 2017 unsingle is adjustable at the rear of the rib also. Yes it rattles, quite annoying. The factory DS choke tubes do require a wrench, because of a brass seal ring, the aftermarket I patterned do not require a wrench. But also didn't pattern as well as the Browning.
I have had mine for 2 years, going on 25000 trouble free rounds.
Not the same combo. I figured aftermarket tubes would thread in by hand and it was inherit to the B design.

Here's a pic of the bottom pin after 1200 rounds. Sad....
Finger Thumb Pest Nail Parasite

· Premium Member
311 Posts
I picked up a Guns Unlimited 725 combo (with adjustable comb added) about a month ago as a backup rig. I've shot a few league rounds through it and it seems nice. I shot it well enough to be confident with it as a backup gun for ATA shoots. I was able to adjust the rib and comb to my preferred POI of 95-100% high. How you actually loosen the mid rib set screws on the unsingle is a mystery to me. If I did not have the adjustable comb, I would not have been able to adjust it to my liking. The directions say to use the provided 2mm hex wrench but it doesn't fit. I can't get any wrench to seat into the hex screw. Didn't want to mess with it too much for fear of stripping it. Such a tiny set screw for such an important part of the gun seems like a poor design to me.

Aside from that one beef, the gun seems very nice. Don't have a lot of rounds through it yet.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Not the same combo. I figured aftermarket tubes would thread in by hand and it was inherit to the B design.

Here's a pic of the bottom pin after 1200 rounds. Sad....
View attachment 1758224
I have a 725 sporting that had the same issue. The JP pin has about 1500 through it with no issues, time will tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.