Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a trap or trap/ sporting clays gun for my 12 yeart old son,,, hes a natural at clays and actualy took my 870 30" full choke gun on the clay course and shot a 70...lol but hes gonna start competitive trap and want to find him either a dedicated gun for singles or a gun we can adjust the comb and shoot both..he shot some trap to play around and did really well with the field gun so i dont need something with a high rib..figure hes used too and comfortable with a field gun setup so im ok with that...12 gauge so let me know what you have... again im ok with a gun that has adjustable comb we can move for sporting and back to trap!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Just find an adjustable comb stock if he's hitting well with the 870 why start all over again. Also "could" look for an extra bbl. with CTs for SCs probably less expensive too. Ross Puls

PS. Yes I'm a pump gun guy, tried just about everything else, still shooting a pump about 45\50 years now.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I started my kids with Browning BT-99's. Not soft-shooting guns, but I could load as light as I wanted to to make it manageable. If you buy a used one at the right price, you can use it for years and get your money back when sold.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The BT-99 is a good starter gun. However it can only be used for trap singles/handicap . Sporting clays is not possible with this gun. Find him a nice used 1100 with choke tubes or a Beretta semi-auto with tubes. He can shoot all the games with these. Ed

·
Registered
173 Posts
Browning Silver Sporting Micro (Semi-auto Invector Plus)also works - My grand-daughter is shooting and she is 12. But then she shoots most guns well I might add. No disrespect intended! Mike

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still looking and yes i thought of jack west stock as well, problem with that is hell be shooting sc with a full choke although he does well with it, he shot against me at skeet two days ago with the full choke 870 and shot a 19 which isnt too shaby..lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you get a extra barrel with choke tubes for the 870 he should be just fine. You may not need the adjustable comb if the gun already fits him well but it would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I vote for the semi-auto route. If you could find a 391 RL (reduced length stock) for him, he could grow into the Standard Length (SL) stock, or you could have adjustable butt plate added for a gun he could shoot into adulthood.

The newer 1100 Competition guns with the recoil reduction from Rucker would also work well, as long as you can use a thin enough pad for make the LOP right for him. Then thicker pads as he grows.

Anyone know offhand what the minimum LOP is on the 1100 Comp?

Danny

PS - He can shoot all clay games with those two guns.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
used Beretta 390 would be perfect. Inexpensive, reliable and you can use it for any shotgun sport. Plenty of them on gunsamerica or gunbroker or at your local gun shop. A Browning gold is good also. Bill

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hard to beat the Beretta 3901RL (390) made for youth. My boys each have one and they shoot great with them. The gas operation helps absorb recoil too. As he grows, you can adjust the length with spacers and the height of the comb. Not sure that Beretta still makes them, but they were in production up until last year, so I'd think you could find one fairly easily. Two years ago I bought a new one for $890 and later found a used 99% one for $675. Beretta 390 parts are always readily available so if he wants to shoot it when he's grown he can find a full size stock to bolt on. Hope this helps.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-target-rl-12/26/

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Get a Browning XT, put a PFS on it and your son will have a gun that can grow with him as he grows or a Beretta 682.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMHO. If you get a dual purpose gun the sacrifice will be to the trap side. If you want him to do well & become a long term trap shooter find someone who can help you find a trap only shotgun that FITS HIM. Otherwise you are just throwing money away, and possibly causing him to dislike the sport. Best of luck. Trapshooting needs all of the young shooters we can find.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
he loves sporting clays, and what few rounds of trap he has shot he has done very well with the 870. im going to keep the price under 2k,but auto is second on my list I have a member here that's offered me a skb 785 combo 34 upsingle, 30 o/u with adj comb I will probably get if nothing comes up in the next couple days, he likes that gun and fit should work out well,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that will be kind of hard as most of the guns are no where near close to me, he shot my 30" gti and he said it felt similar in recoil to the 870, also looked at the xlr5 with adj comb and and rib, just hate to get auto and have to deal with ftf or ftl, which is just a given with any auto, obviously some more than others..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts