Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Never used a semi For clays but am starting to think about picking one up ... looking for opinions regarding what is a good choice for a 30” semi for sporting clays...

Thank you ,
Chris

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Rem 1100, Benelli, Franchi, Beretta, Winchester SX 1-4 for fun, but I only see Berettas in NSCA competition and once in a great while a Benelli Sport. the Benelli's feel good, but have more recoil and a so-so trigger that is difficult to improve. They'll all work for fun, but the Berettas are the most reliable to running for 100 birds and Coles can do a decent trigger job if needed. I use a 391 when I feel like shooting a softer recoiling semi.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Beretta A300 Outlander Sporting!!!!! I bought one and it is fantastic. Nice wood stock, comes with Beretta extended Mobil chokes (3), 30 inch barrel. Got mine from Karen at Gipson's for $825.00 New. Hard to beat a great gun at that price, you just can't lose on this one. Check it out. Much better, easier to clean gas system than the 391.
JMO Colonel

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
The new 1100 Competition Synthetic is worth a look.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree w timb99. I have an 1100 competition synthetic and absolutely love it. It’s the softest shooting 12 gauge I’ve ever shot. Plus it’s easy to clean and maintain, parts are overly abundant and easy to find, and it’s fully adjustable. The only negative is that it’s fairly heavy. That’s really not a negative for me because I like the weight to help reduce the recoil but it might be for you. They’ve been pretty hard to find lately so good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I shoot quite a bit of sporting clays and have done so for the last 12-14 years.

I shoot nothing but Beretta semi-autos (391/400 models) and the same goes for everyone else that I know that is a serious sporting clays shooter that shoots a semi.

I've seen guys give different brands a try, but it never lasts.

If they stick with a semi-auto for sporting, EVERYONE I've ever seen makes the switch to Berettas.

Currently, I know of NO ONE shooting a semi that shoots anything but a Beretta.

I'm sure other will disagree.

'Nuff said.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I shoot an 1100 sporting 12 for trap, skeet, and sporting. Stock fits me well and they are handsome guns. I have 4200 rounds through it so far and haven't had one breakdown. I did change the barrel seal at 3000 round, just because it was looking tired but I was not experiencing cycling issues. It came with extended chokes in skeet, IC, LT MOD and and MOD. I had to purchase full and x full separately. The choke constrictions measure out exactly what they are supposed to on each tube from the factory

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
If buying new:. The Beretta A400 is very reliable. I have had 4 jams in 20,000 shells. Joseph Fanizzi was 1 target from winning the World English Sporting with his Cole Special A400 (they do some work to improve the action such as polishing parts and a trigger job). Con is some say the A400 trigger is not as nice. Very easy to clean.

The A300 outlander my uncle shoots is not maintained and hasn't jammed yet in 4 flats. Not much to go on but impressed me. Not as nice in finish but will serve you well.

Used definitely look at a clean Beretta 303/390/391. These guns are fantastic.

Berettas seem to go 2,000 rounds before needing cleaned based on what I've read. Each gun might be different.

We had a Remington 1187 but was not maintained and was a jam-o-matic. Not the guns fault as it is the same uncle who is not maintaining his A300. Time will tell.

There are some Fabarms out there, I tried one, but as Claypoppy says I went back to a Beretta. Im not above trying a Fabarms L4S sporting but don't have an itch at the moment.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
I have to go with the Beretta auto here as well. The 1100 auto is too barrel heavy for fast Sporting Clay targets. The 1100 may be a better choice for Trap and Skeet though? break em all jeff

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
How about a real nice 391 sporting clays gun. I have either a 28 or 30 inch barrel. PM me for more info motordoc. thanks

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
York, you know different strokes for different folks, and it certainly is applicable on this subject.

Have owned most of the top autos and to the extreme on some (4, 391's). Normally shoot Perazzis on sporting in competition but got bored and all with the Corona and took a flyer - Fabarm L4S Sporting 30" @ $1850. After several adjustments, shoots way better than what I anticipated and absolutely no need for aftermarket chokes. It was supposed to be a backup to my Perazzis but now, on second thought, the Perazzis may be backing up the L4S. It's that good. Take a look.

L4S Sporting - FABARM USA

·
Registered
549 Posts
I shot a rem 1100 for a little bit then had several O/U now I'm shooting a beretta 390 sporting I really like it. 1200 rounds since cleaning it no issues. I tried a few Benelli guns but didn't like the balance as said above I see most semi shooters using beretta. My brother shoots a 11-87 supper mag and it runs flawless but requires more cleaning.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts