Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to re-stock a gun, and I have been trying to get de-ignorantised about woods, but the more I read, the less I know.

Does anybody know of a kindergarten-level text that can tell me which Walnuts are what, and why the ratio between radial & tangential movement is important in a stable stock ... and what is sapwood anyhow, and why don't you want it in a stock.

And what does whether it is quarter-sawn or slabbed have to do with making a good stock?

This gun is a live-bird gun, and will go to the ricefields for geese, too, so the only thing it will eat is heavy-stuff. 'Pretty' means 'fragile' to me, so 'pretty' is not very important.

Does anybody know what kind of fenceposts Danielle Perazzi used in 1970? That's what I think I want: light in weight with a close, tight grain, and just enough figure to absorb some shock and not be brittle.

'preciate it.

Bob

·
Supporting Vendor
1,225 Posts
Bob,

Look through several of the established websites and you'll get a pretty good grounding on most of your questions. Google walnut gun blanks and you should have a pretty good selection of sites to choose from.

You may find some contradictory claims, but generally the wood guys agree on the basics.

Mike Mann

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, I've stocked a few guns, wih Macon & Wenig hammer-fit timber - and they were learning experiences - but this one is for MEEEEEE, and hammer-fit is not an option this time, anyhow.

Mike, I sent you a mail.

Yeah, I have read those sites until my head is whirling 2hrs after I shut the computer down.

I tend to trust shooters who are wood-men, more than woodmen, alone.

A significant complicating factor is this is a sidelock, so the head & wrist ARE the lumber.

thanks, both .

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.