Trapshooters Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Napoleon natural gas with infra-red side burner replaced my 15 year old Weber Summit. The infrared side burner is a game changer, sear steaks-burgers-chicken-mahi mahi at 1800 degrees for 90 seconds per side. Then finish on gas or the Blaze smoker. Really upped my grilling.
Upgraded my 10 year old Big Steel Keg smoker with the 1" thick cast aluminum Blaze. Control it with Fireboard controls with fan and can smoke all day & night within 5 degrees of set temp.
Like wingmaster said, it's all a personal preference and everyone is different. I do a lot of research and decided on the Memphis Elite WillM mentioned to replace my smoker, found out my bride like's the charcoal smoker flavors much better than the pellet smokers so I went with the Blaze.
Got the best price on Amazon for the Blaze and BBQguys.com for the Napoleon.

View attachment 1731782 View attachment 1731783 View attachment 1731784
You're right about the infrared gas grills! I bought a cheap one to try it out, didn't want to spend mega bucks for one built like a tank until I knew I'd like it. Its awesome! The one I get when this one shoots craps will be for the long haul. Once you use one there's no going back. As far as a smoker, I bought a green mountain and love it. Had it a year and a half and its worked great. My brother in law has a pit boss and a older traeger and be said next time he'll buy a green mountain after seeing mine. I don't know of one grill that could do all I want when cooking out.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I stopped using gas grills 10 years ago. Switched to pellet and never looked back. Love my Rec Tec RT 700. It’s a beast. You can grill and smoke, WiFi, integrated probes etc.
Im going to second the recommendation for Rec Teq, I have their RT-590, the mid sized model and it works great. I use it constantly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
. I don't know of one grill that could do all I want when cooking out.
I think that is a great point. To me, pellet grills are not the end-all, but you get wood-cooked flavor for gas grill hassle and super easy smoking. You lose the high direct heat that you get with a gas grill and you can use pellet trays to enhance gas grill flavor. There are tradeoffs and tricks we can use. Like I mentioned, I have a workaround for the high direct heat aspect by using a cast-iron platen in my outdoor kitchen for searing. If I am going to grill burgers and dogs for neighborhood friends or tailgating (weren't those the days?), I will fire up my Weber charcoal grill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Great info, and a lot to consider. I ordered a Blaze propane grill, one of the burners will be an infrared burner, with the option of using a regular burner in its place, both burners will come with the grill. Ordered a cover also. Hoping with this grill and my Green Mountain smoker I will have it covered. I really enjoy having an adult beverage on the patio and enjoying just some of the pleasures of being retired. I retired in February last year. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My Pit Boss Pellet smoker will go to 500 degrees, has a sliding plate that allows direct heat/fire to the middle of grate. It is ok for it, but prefer Blackstone for steaks

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I'm still using my 50 year old Weber kettle grill. Avocado green. Only replaced two grills. What with some of you spent on grills over the years, I bought a Kolar.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts