Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have a 10 year old AOG grill. Had an issue with corrosion and the interior was replaced under warranty for free! AOG and FireMagic are two of the best brands made. Made in the USA with incredible customer service if ever needed. They are made of 304 stainless steel and last forever. The AOG is less expensive than the FireMagic. You can get them as a stand alone unit or built-in.
Ignite. Invite. Inspire.

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
I have a SS Kenmore hand-me-down grill. A good friend researched heavily before buying it and it is a work horse. He 'up-graded' when his boss sold his house and gave him one that filled my trailer during the move. I ended up with the Kenmore (He continues to bitch about how he misses the old Kenmore).

About two years in I pulled it apart and put in new burners, cross-over bars, and flavor plates ($35 from Amazon) - I made new brackets to support the end of the burners (mounting points were a bit tatty).

It is roughly ten years old and hasn't missed a beat...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I use my dad's 30yr old weber Charcoal grill and a new smoky joe for camping. I love pellet grills I had a pit boss I got 5 years out of it. I got a treager this year and absolutely love it! Buy from a dealer not a box store.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I like to cook over charcoal and hickory chips. I have used a Weber Performer for three years now and am very satisfied. The performer is like a standard Weber big kettle with respect to charcoal use. Mine has a special grill area with openings for two baskets of charcoal on each side and a drip pan in the middle. You grill your food over indirect heat and put chunks of hickory over the coals. I adjust the air flow to produce 350-degree heat and cook the food in a hickory smoke environment.
The Weber Performer includes a propane starter unit that uses the small propane bottles. I attach my Performer to a 20-pound propane tank. It makes very good steaks and chicken.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have old Weber maybe 15 years old. Replace Flavor bars maybe a couple times. Last time I had machine shop cut em out of heavier gauge stainless and bend them on brake. They last a LONG time.

New Weber's seem cheaper. Broil King looks like a well built grill.

Check out a Blackstone. We use that for a lot. Burgers and steaks are awesome. Do stir fry on it. Bacon is great. Can do whole breakfast on it. Get one with a lid, ours is the smaller "Portable" 27" wide. It has a flat cover that I use for the lid when cooking some stuff. No flare up. Burner tubes never get grease dripped on them and look like new after 2-3 years. Use it way more than gas Weber now.

·
Premium Member
18,864 Posts
Doc didn't mention any warranty on the polished up grill.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Weber’s are great. I’m not sure though that the ones you buy at Home Depot are as good as you’d get from something like True Value. I know most power tools and landscape tools like chainsaws all have their cheapened “big box” store versions of the same model. Myself, I only use charcoal and it’s always a Weber.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get a Traeger. I bought one 12 years ago and love it. You just set the temperature and let it smoke. No messing with charcoal and it doesn’t go out.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Outdoor cooking or BBQ?
Best gas grill - Solaire Infrared. Mine now stores supplies for my two Big Green Eggs. Kamado Joe also is great option but I like the life time warrantee on the egg.
Doubt I'll ever go back to gas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Memphis Grills Elite. Pellet grill with insulated stainless box and PID controller which maintains temperature within 2 degrees of setting. Smoke, grill and sear - temperature range from 180 to 700 degrees. Yes 700 degrees. I’ve had mine two years and never looked back. Made in USA

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have found after 10 years of bachelor hood and 35 years of married life that it doesn't matter what kind of grill you have. Gas, charcoal, pellet or if you use real wood. Just because other people like a certain type doesn't matter, you may not like it. Everyone has their opinion, on what works for them!

The only thing, and I do mean the only thing that matters is
the sacrifice made to the fire gods prior to putting any meat on any grill!
I personally have tested this theory over the last almost 50 years. I have had pretty much every type of grill except a pellet grill. It does not matter. Again, only the sacrifice given matters! If a sacrifice is not offered then something will happen. You will either overcook or undercook the meat, something will get burned or catch on fire, something will get dropped or forgotten, you will run out of gas if using a gas grill, the fire will go out, etc. See where I am going? Every time you forget the sacrifice, the problems that will arise will intensify! The sacrifice and the offering of a sacrifice is very, very important! Consider this a warning!

I personally sacrifice 1/2 of my adult beverage every time I light a grill before any thing is placed on the grill!
Every time my BBQ is the best I've ever had!

To me, BBQ is personal.

·
Super Moderator
3,184 Posts
Napoleon natural gas with infra-red side burner replaced my 15 year old Weber Summit. The infrared side burner is a game changer, sear steaks-burgers-chicken-mahi mahi at 1800 degrees for 90 seconds per side. Then finish on gas or the Blaze smoker. Really upped my grilling.
Upgraded my 10 year old Big Steel Keg smoker with the 1" thick cast aluminum Blaze. Control it with Fireboard controls with fan and can smoke all day & night within 5 degrees of set temp.
Like wingmaster said, it's all a personal preference and everyone is different. I do a lot of research and decided on the Memphis Elite WillM mentioned to replace my smoker, found out my bride like's the charcoal smoker flavors much better than the pellet smokers so I went with the Blaze.
Got the best price on Amazon for the Blaze and BBQguys.com for the Napoleon.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts