Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,
2014 Im looking for a 1oz, 3 dram, must be above 1250 fps. I was hoping Winchester made one, but their load called lite handicapp is 3 1/4 dram 1oz 1290. I currently shoot a RIO 1oz 3 dram 1280. Want to see what else is out there.

Looking for feedback.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
The closest load I have like that is 1 oz reclaimed, CB1100 wad, 18.5 gr Claydot, W209 primer in a AA HS hull.

I normally load and shoot the same load but wuth 17.2 gr of Claydot; pushes around 1200FPS.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Rick,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ATA limit on one ounce loads was 1325, which seems to be what the OP in looking for.

John

Rick, I see your edit. Nice job.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I've forgotten which Federal shell it is but they make a one ounce load at 1235 I had good luck with!! A real clay smoker too!

HAP

·
Registered
147 Posts
Federal manufactures a Gold Medal shell for the sporting clay shooters; Load # SC 177 that is a 3 dr, 1 oz load, with a velocity of 1240fps.

Rob

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
HAP remembers a Federal shell loaded with 1 oz. of shot and marked 3 Dram Equivalent. I remember shooting some Federal Papers marked 3-1-8 back in the 1960's.

I remember these shells well because a friend of mine (Bob) used to shoot them from the 16 yard line on windy days using a Remington 31 pump. He normally shot the standard 3 1 1/8 - 8 loading but preferred the 3-1-8 loading on windy days because they were faster.

One day, he almost won an automobile at a shoot near Indianapolis, IN. The shoot had a $50 entry fee which was substantial in those days. There were a lot of shooters but very few good scores because of a howling wind.

It was a 50 shot event and Bob shot 49x50. Bob's timing was super quick and he was an excellent quail hunter. He said that the target he missed was knocked sideways but did not break. After the shoot was over and a local shooter won the car with the lone 50x50, he walked the target fall area and found an orange painted aluminum clay target. He got some mean looks from some of the local boys at the shoot and left without saying anything. He told me that he guessed that that a fix was in and that he could get hurt bad if he said anything.

My understanding is that Dram Equivalent is based on a combination of gauge, shot weight and velocity. Published data indicate that a 1 oz. 2 3/4 DE has 1180 fps velocity and that a 1 oz. 3 1/4 DE has a velocity of 1290 fps.

I have seen it in print somewhere that a 1 oz. 12 gauge load with 3 DE has a velocity of 1235 fps. I don't think that this is a common loading but at one time it may have been.

Ed Ward

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
with published shot weight and velocity why would you even bother with black powder equivalents???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts