Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm loading NEW Cheddite Hulls (come with primers) from Graf $ Sons, get Super Crown Crimp Starter #0740007 8pt & #072SG16 wads from Ballistic Products, these load 1oz. shot great in not only Cheddite but Fiocchi and Remington Game Load hulls also--with Longshot powder at 1300FPS. Various Recipes from Hodgdon Loading Data Website. I also use Cheddite primers. RIO's won't load well at all-I gave up on them and don't even try.

Winchester Compression Form cases in 16 gauge are BEST if you can find them, but have been OUT-OF-PRODUCTION for about 30 Years. They were actually AA's. I'm lucky-I've got about 4000 I'm still loading.

Hope This Helps

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info StoutStuff.
Much appreciated. I will keep my eye out for some the Winchesters.
There are some out there somewhere.

Thanks again,

Gary

·
Registered
264 Posts
Buy the Cheddite 1 ounce hulls at Graf and Sons, if they still carry them, they are really the best now available. Multiple reloadings, generally 5-7, before they fail. You can also use Remington 1 1/8 ounce hulls but you have t0 put a 28 gauge OP wad underneath to get the right crimp. I also have used 2-3 of the 28 gauge OP wads to load 7/8 and 3/4 ounce loads, respectively, for dove hunting. Federal/Estate empties reload nicely but only last for 3-4 reloadings. I've never had any problems reloading any cases on my Grabber with these components. Remington makes a 1-ounce wad but they won't sell any of them. I know as I have bought bags of the 1 1/8th ounce wads and found white wads mixed in with them which worked perfectly with 1 ounce of shot. If you are really interested in the Winchester Blue Wads, the original, not the clones, I have nearly a case of them I am selling. The whole case only, in the original Winchester shipping carton, about 19 plus bags, but they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Some time ago Recob's was getting special shipments of Remington one ounce wads. At the time I think their minimum order from Remington was 100,000 wads. I picked up a case of 5000 and use them in all of the various hulls I have or scrounge. So far, so good.

Johnpe

·
Registered
93 Posts
One of my great finds was a lot of 1000 once fired paper 16 gauge hulls. Been cutting them down, loading them and then roll crimping with a special home made overshot card. Have to do some re-waxing too, but they end up looking fine as frogs' hair.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doggai
I love to load the old paper shells! The only thing better than loading them is shooting them....oh the smell. It's wonderful. I am hoping to find some of the old paper hulls. Someone out there has some just laying there I am positive. Thanks for the post.

Gary

·
Registered
801 Posts
Were are you located? I have about 200 give or take Remington paper old shells. Iam in Pa near Allentown,if you want them there yours,FREE, can't get cheaper than that.Shipping I dont know how to go about it,were to go.and Iam not going to pay for shipping. Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts