Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a 1 1/8oz 1300fps load for STS or AA hulls. I want to use it for ZZBIRDs and sporting Clay's. I found a few in Lyman book and alliant and hogdon sites but looking to see what yous are shooting. Thanks zack h

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
What kind of powder do you have? If you are going to buy powder I would go with Unique and you can check the data for several 1300 fps loads on their website. There are other powders that will work but I am old school and that's what I use for Games

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I'm looking for a 1 1/8oz 1300fps load for STS or AA hulls. I want to use it for ZZBIRDs and sporting Clay's. I found a few in Lyman book and alliant and hogdon sites but looking to see what yous are shooting. Thanks zack h
Hope you know a good orthopedic doctor, because if you shoot that load for long, you're gonna need one!

I wouldn't shoot a load like that if they were free.

IMO, that load is totally unnecessary for ANY clay target sport.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
553 Posts
There are a few loads at that velocity using Hodgdon Universal and many options with Longshot (bet that will boom). If you have access to Federal Gold Medal Hulls, the best one I have used (sparingly) is a Alliant Green Dot load at 1310 fps using Fed. 209A primers and Windjammer wads.....the pressures on this load were amazingly low and the recoil was less than expected. Check it out in the Alliant manual.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have gold medal hulls and windjammer wads and a little bit of green dot I will look it up. I will be shooting these out of a beretta 390 and only a flat or 2 a year

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have gold medal hulls and windjammer wads and a little bit of green dot I will look it up. I will be shooting these out of a beretta 390 and only a flat or 2 a year
Green Dot is good powder to get you to 1250. I use that for Trap HCP/Sportsman’s and Sporting Clays. I’m doing it in Winchester CF hulls but pretty sure the loading data is there for Federals.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Screenshot_20200331-115826_Chrome.jpg
I believe this is exactly what you are looking for.
MG

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm with claypoppy. Do you really think you can tell the difference between 1250 and 1300fps ? I would even venture most shooters couldn't tell the difference between 1200 and 1300, unless you're asking about noise or recoil. My shoulder hurts just thinking about it. Good luck, maybe you won't develop a flinch.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Helice rules are similar to FITASC. One ounce shot. Load this to 1350. Use good 7 1/2 shot. Federal Paper FITASC load is one ounce at 1330. Green Dot, Red Dot, and similar powders are suitable for this load.

You need a quick second shot, think about recoil recovery time with the load you are talking about.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies the zzbirds I shoot are 1 1/8oz max I probably wont be able to tell the difference I just want to try it it will give me something to work on this Saturday i will get to pattern it. I'm not worried about flinching I already shoot a release trigger it should not be unbearable in my 390

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
Thanks for the replies the zzbirds I shoot are 1 1/8oz max I probably wont be able to tell the difference I just want to try it it will give me something to work on this Saturday i will get to pattern it. I'm not worried about flinching I already shoot a release trigger it should not be unbearable in my 390
Just remember that when you start flinching because of recoil with a release, your just about done with no alternatives left.

Yes it happens.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Just remember that when you start flinching because of recoil with a release, your just about done with no alternatives left.

Yes it happens.
I'm a firm believer that less recoil equals better scores. Anything you can do to reduce recoil is a good thing. Lighter shot charges and slower velocities are the things to tune for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts