Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Keep the guns barrel from interfering with your eyes ability to see and lock on clearly from all stations. How far above the traphouse roof depends on how well we can see a whole complete target. Some see a streak right out of the house and some clearly see the target as a whole without an interfering streak attached. Look up only as high as needed to see the target as a whole while looking down through the gun. Thats the reason some people advise others to look here or there depends on where the adviser sees his best, possibly or probably not even close to your ability to pick up a target quickly? Thats sorta like advising the best POI for you or how soon you should shoot?

Hap

·
Registered
11 Posts
The great Remington pro,D.Lee Braun mentions in his book that he looks under the bsrrel and I've done this for years on all posts.When I tried to explain this in the past to other shooters I always felt as if I were looking through the gun as the rib seems to become transparent.I'm guessing thats what other shooters see who also use this style?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
For two-eyed shooters, this is pretty standard stuff...in fact, it's pretty much the whole reason two eyes is better than one.

The weak eye tracks the bird below the barrel, and "hands off" to the strong eye once the bird is above the barrel. It's one of the biggest tips in successful trapshooting, and the people who don't know about it will never know how much of an advantage they're missing out on.

You can compete, not seeing the bird until it's above the barrel...but, never kid yourself that it's not a disadvantage. If you win trophies that way, pat yourself on the back for eking it out with an inferior technique. Most of the big dogs do it the other way.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In all the years of trap shooting and countless lessons, I have yet to see a two eyed shooter have his left eye looking at the trap house and the right eye over the barrel at the same time, if you want to shoot the trap house, look at it if you want to smoke a a clay target, look through and over your gun, the target will appear then and only then as a clear hittable target, There have been thousands of dollars wasted in lessons by trying to use the one eye to look down at the house the other eye somewhere else, have someone stand in front of you and have them watching the pupils of your eyes while they put one hand down and one hand up with different fingers extended on either hand, I'll wager that in all instances, both eyes will go the same direction at the same time.Go to an eye doctor, while being examined, ask him if he can see one eye going down while the other goes up, I'm quite sure what one eye does the other is doing the same at the same instance nuf said! incinerate em!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I look under the barrel and through the gun.

I look just above the edge of the house with my left eye, master eye over receiver.

Bigben, many shooters shoot this way. Your eyes do not need to move in different directions to see everything in your field of view.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took a class from Leo and he wanted us to look at the edge of the trap house. If you are a two eyed shooter had hold above the trap house you will only see the edge with your nondominate eye, your master eye cannot see the edge because it is blocked by the barrel. I think this works well with shooters how have a very dominate eye, for me I think that it caused misses because my nondominate eye took over. John Moore

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.