Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
I was recently watching a Wisconsin state HOF shooter shoot and I noticed that after every shot he took he looked down his barrel and blew out the smoke. My first thought was why was he blowing out the smoke?

I can remember using New Winchester papers shells years ago and reloading them one time. I recall shooters saying they were good for one reload before the base wad could possibly come out and lodge in your barrel.

After thinking about it, I am starting to think that looking down ones barrel after every shot may possibly be a good idea?

Just curious, do any of you make it a practice to look down your gun barrel after every shot?

Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
He must be shooting a Krieghoff!:1eruru: After reading some recent threads about barrels and guns blowing up, I can say I am looking down my barrel more often also!

·
Banned
Perazzi TM1/Perazzi MX8
544 Posts
Hahaha! I picked up that habit years ago and still do it to this day subconciously. I don't know why I started it but I did and still do. My other habit is making sure the mallard on the federal shell head stamp is upright and level in my barrel. Go figure??? Habits.....LOL

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Hahaha! I picked up that habit years ago and still do it to this day subconciously. I don't know why I started it but I did and still do. My other habit is making sure the mallard on the federal shell head stamp is upright and level in my barrel. Go figure??? Habits.....LOL
I do to,,

Do you align the wads when reloading??

I don't

I also blow the smoke out of the barrel.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
When I shoot Fed. papers I won't place another shell in the gun untill I can see through the barrel..

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that as a whole trapshooters are a superstitious bunch. Regardless, what ever makes a person more comfortable shooting.
Steve

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I do it just to make sure the barrel is still straight.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hope this is ok to add here
I was shooting my K80 sunday at the local club
10 shots in the base of the shell was stuck below the ejector on my K-80 trap special
So as not to bother my fellow shooters i told them to continue on
I went back to my truck and took a rod to push out the shell
Or what was left
Base and inner base was all that as left
The rest of the hull was gone
Now the target broke
It was a new dark gray Winchester hull
So maybe it is a good idea to look down the gun every time
Been reloaded 3 times

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have shot Federal Papers in Remington 870's since the 1960's. As I sometimes reloaded a paper hull way to many times in my youth, I quite often got a hull separation when I went one reload too many. Because of this, I got in the habit of ejecting the hull into my hand and making sure that I got a whole shell out after every round.

Sometimes, the brass would eject into my hand and the paper tube would remain inn the barrel. I would simply insert my little finger into the chamber and remove the tube. Never had a problem doing this. Maybe 20 years ago, I added the practice of pushing a new wad through the barrel from muzzle to breach using a length of dowel rod whenever I got a hull separation.

I always remove the barrel for a visual inspection if I have not shot the gun for a while. I wan to be sure that mud daubers or some other beast has not taken up housekeeping in my barrel. I have never left a piece of rag or patch in my barrel but I hear others sometimes experience this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
After witnessing the K80 blow up I added the barrel check to my post shot routine. It can be difficult to see because of smoke most likely why some blow smoke from barrel.

·
Registered
408 Posts
In addition to all of the above, a puff of air through the barrel helps to cool it, Sometimes it stops heat waves from forming.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I check down the barrel because occasionally I see pieces of wad still down the barrel and I just blow the smoke out to clear the view down the barrel. Plus I think it's cool looking kinda like blowing the smoke during winter, still get a kick out of it

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
School teacher:
Vic Reinders used some of the oldest ratty shells I have ever seen any one shoot for practice and skeet. In regards to Federal papers, I learned from old timers to take a metal coat hanger and make a loop for my forefinger and a hook at the end so I could pull out Federal paper hulls when the extractor would take the head off the shell, so I could extract it if my finger was unable to pull it out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts