Trapshooters Forum banner

longshot powder

3840 17
Just getting started out with reloading due to the lovely ammo shortage, any ways just curious if anyone has any reloading data for that powder in a 1 1/8 7.5 load. reloading into some federal top gun shells with the cci 209's and Winchester waa12sl wads, any help on this would be awesome and id love to be able to shoot about 1350fps
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,173 Posts
It's not a powder I'd use for 12 gauge 1 1/8 oz loads or 1 oz, for that matter. Unless you want extreme velocity, which, if you read what has been written, will tend not to pattern well. Additionally, if used for 1 and 1/8 oz loads, a lot of powder is required per the recipes shown in Hodgdon's recipes. It is not at all economical for the aforementioned. For 12 gauge, it is especially well-suited for 1 1/4 oz hunting loads

· Premium Member
236 Posts
It's been a while, but I loaded some pheasant loads with it using the Hodgdon specs. They were wicked good, even at sixty yards plus on passing birds. I apologize for no data, but it's at another location. If anyone is interested, let me know. I'll be there tomorrow and able to check my notes.

· Registered
602 Posts
The slowest load Hodgdon lists for those components is 1420 fps. That is 31.4 grains and 8800 psi. So you could back off on the powder and chrono until you get down to 1350 but you will probably end up with a dirty barrel because of the low pressures. Also the WAA12SL is a 1 oz wad and may give you stack height issues. The published loads use a WAA12.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Check the Hodgdon site. LS is set up for stupid fast 12 ga loads, but is hard to beat in the 20 and 28.

Sir, you are absolutely correct. 20/28 is great but longshot is better for 20 and 28ga. I don't think you can load it down enough to have it work for 1,200 fps, but don't know for sure.

PD

· Registered
537 Posts
For game shooting, You can load it down and it will work. I have done similar with Proreach. I load about 26 grains in a AA hull 1118 wad 1 1/8 #6 with cheddite primer. It is still plenty fast, feels consistent, not too dirty in my A400...no need to crank it up to 30+ grains. The way the current market is we make use of what we can get in order to still shoot.

· Registered
13,497 Posts
As already mentioned on here. Longshot powder will not reload your one oz. loads. You can use it for 12 ga. only for hunting type loads. 1 1/8 oz. loads at 1,400 fps. kind of loads.

It really shines in the 20 ga. and the 28 ga. shells though. Especially the new AA-HS hulls.

If I were you. I would try to trade your Longshot powder, with someone for some their 12 ga. powder at one of your shooting clubs. break em all jeff

· Registered
2,393 Posts
I'm with the guys that like it in the 28 gauge. I like the 20/28 better but this is a close second.
The wad you want to use is meant for a tapered wall hull and you have straight walled hulls.

My last thought is why the 1350 fps? That will beat you up.

· Registered
13,497 Posts
I’m thinking of trying LS in 20 ga AA HS, uses less volume than equivalent 20/28.
Yes, by all means load some up. You'll love the way Longshot fits in the 20 ga. AAHS hulls. Fits perfect with normal feeling recoil for the speed. I expect you'll like better in the 28 ga. AAHS hulls as well. Again, a great fit. Of course, I would try to get some Win. 572 powder as my first choice for both gauges. I could not find any. I did find some Longshot at Powder Valley and had some shipped to my home. Not a totally bad price for the times. Winchester powder is almost impossible to find, but I"ve heard a few shooters have found some. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.