Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time friend of mine called and asked If I would post a question about LongShot Powder and Games Shooters that use it. This club is having a problem with a couple of shooters that have been loading LongShot for their long range and money shoots and neighbors have been complaining about the noise, and, from what I hear it has been pretty rough on their guns. Anyone else heard or any clubs having problems?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
If your club has neighbor problems, this powder will not help.

I loaded a few box a few years back. Thought I was shooting black powder. Ended up giving away the powder, way to loud besides thinking it was going to tear my gun apart!

To see for yourself in regard to sound, go stand by the property line and just listen.

I'll take the grief for saying this, but I'd have no problem banning the powder for the good of the club.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I don't remember where I read the article. I believe in was in the NSSA's news letter but it stated the noise complaints of gun clubs in the US went up 18% when Long Shot was introduced.

We have asked game shooters not to load it heavy at out club due to noise. Loaded at reasonable levels still get a faster velocity and the noise drop is significant.

Ajax

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Its not called "loud shot" for nothing!!

I guess if it needs to be "banned" lets go all out.

Money/Game shoots, will only shot with 1 oz of 7.5 shot with Federal wad and Remington hulls.

oh ya, NO ported barrel, now let be fair about it all.

Any takers???

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Longshot loaded in 12 gauge hulls produces high velocity, recoil producing, loud rounds. It is not the best powder for use in most any shooting sports.
However, it is a preferred powder for use in 20 gauge and 28 gauge hulls where good velocity and low pressure are required. Noise is not a factor with these rounds.

tex

·
Premium Member
11,725 Posts
I use it for pheasant loads. 1-1/4 ounce going 1350 fps.

Works well on the colorful feathered critters.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Before we get off track.

Some clubs nearest neighbor is living in a farm house a mile from the shooting stations, at other clubs you can see houses when your shooting.

I don't think there is a shooter who doesn't recognize the sound when someone is using Longshot in the 12 gauge.

I imagine many clubs would fail state mandated sound limits for shooting ranges if test were conducted using Longshot.

Longshot has it's place in 12 gauge, but when it's use impacts the club negatively, either we police it or let the surrounding community police it, and we may not like the results when the community steps in.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Roger Eubanks is dead on..... Load it down and it's still faster than anything else and the noise level is tolerable... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Reactions: Setterman

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have been using Longshot powder for many years,with 1-1/8--1-1/2 oz loads. It is no louder than 800X or any other high speed powder. 1-1/4 at 1330 #6 is the load of choice for games. Recoil is no worse than other powders of that load. I have shot thousands of these loads through an older BT 99 with no ill effects.

Clyde

·
Banned
996 Posts
No matter how loud the report or how fast your shot is traveling you still have to point it in the right place to break the bird. I love knocking those guys off the line with the loads I use that sound like duds but yet break the bird just as well.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Our club fought a law suit for 6 years over the existence of the club. Noise was one of the problems. We have to keep the noise at the property line at certain levels. Long Shot(loaded heavy) does not do that. We have asked some shooters to cut back. Most have, the ones that did not were asked not to come back.

We chose not to jeopardies the shooting and existence of a total club, over the one or two shooters that wanted to help the anti-gunners and close us down.

Ajax

There are lots of clubs with close neighbors that do police their own shell requirements, and require "legal trap loads only".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Responding to "Longshot Powder Problems". My name is Ron Reiber and I am the product manager at Hodgdon Powder Company. I casually watch posts that discuss powders that we manufacture, and try to rectify any misconceptions that occur regarding their use. Longshot was developed to be used primarily as a field powder for use in 28,20,16,12 and 10 gauge, and it is excellent in all those applications. Properly used for the long range target/back fence games, it works equally well.
However, this is America, and Americans always believe "more" is better. Not so in shotgun. When used towards the bottom end of the listings for 1 1/8 oz and 1 1/4 oz, pressures are moderate, peak time is long, and set-back of shot is minimal, which delivers excellent patterns. Truthfully, 1150 fps to 1250 fps gives ideal patterns with minimal fliers,and is my personal favorite loading range. Managing a ballistics laboratory for 36 years teaches you the nuances of shotshell loads, and what works best. Yes, 1 1/8oz loads of very slow burning powder are loud at the upper end because you are burning a great deal of slow burning powder, and that simply translates into LOUD. Why get the crap beat out of you if slower velocities pattern better?? Limiting what people use on those games is like having the left tell you that you must give up your guns. Use commons sense and ask those individuals to use lesser loads in their ammunition. They need to learn more about reloading, and what actually works to their benefit, and you as competitors need to insist they do just that!!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Longshot Powder. Our nearest competitor realized the value in this fine product and made a copy called ProReach, just like they copied Clays with Clay Dot.
Don't be a leftist and start banning perfectly good products, do your part and control how they are used on your ranges!
Thanks for taking the time to read this note!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Ron, unfortunately this is America and some will always believe the concept of more, bigger, faster is always better. I wish you would keep the velocity levels a secret and how they relate to pattern quality however.lol Thank you for your info.

PS I am upset with the company for eliminating 4756 thus its production...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts