Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried some of my first handloads I loaded for my 28 ga. Franchi. I used 15.0 grains of Longshot with a BPI SG28II wad and 3/4 oz of no. 9 shot. I shot 4 starlings, and when I looked down the barrel, it sure looked dirty to me, or rather, it almost lookked like I got an incomplete burn from the powder. Can someone tell me if Longshot is a dirty powder, or is my load not what it should be? Thanks in advance.

Regards, Gary Schoborg

G

·
Gary,

Longshot isn't Clays. It always leaves a few flakes in the barrel. Very effeciet powder though. If you wnat something a little cleaner try Universal Clays.

ec90t

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
It is not the cleanest powder buy I would not say it is terribly dirty either. I shoot quite a bit of it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gary,
Longshot is a little dirty but is much easier on your hulls than Universal, (less burnt up or charred) & you know how hard it is to get 28ga hulls, so you want as many reloads as you can get. I shoot it in my K-80 & one pass w/ a bore snake makes it look like its never been shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input people. I have reloaded rifle ammo for about 25 years, but it's been at least 10 years since I've reloaded shotshells, so basically I'm starting over again, so anything I can learn is a good thing. Thanks again.

Regards, Gary Schoborg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just tried the 20/28 from alliant. Shot some 20's and some 28's using the reloaders guide on alliants web-site. Crisp shooting, some residue however.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Used longshot on some once fired nitro hulls. The hulls still looked once fired after shooting, but the barrel was a mess. Cleaned right up with a snake.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have been using 20/28 for a couple of years in 28ga. I used to use longshot, it shoots good , 7625 shoots good but a little grainy, HS6 is really dirty. 20/28 is about the cleanest I have found for 28ga. I load 13.4 gr AAHS hull Fed28S1 wad.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've never shot a slow burning powder that wasnt a bit dirty, but then again maybe I havent tried them all. Try 4756 if you can find it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I just can't seem to grasp this fetish people have with powder "cleanliness." I have never found a powder, and I've tried a LOT of them, that does not leave some residue or coating in the barrel. Nor have I ever found a powder residue that remains after normal cleaning. That said, I believe LongShot is one of the very best for the 20 & 28ga guns as it is more forgiving pressure-wise, and is far easier on hulls. BTW...20/28 works very well in my BPS 20 with 15.5gr pushing 7/8oz.

AndyH

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Andy44

Probably the biggest issue is if they shoot a gas-operated semi-auto. Powders that leave less residue, or finer residue are probably preferable to powders that leave lots of flakes.

With break action guns, its a non-issue.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
No slow burning powder I've EVER shot was very clean.. From Alcan 8 to Longshot and Herco .. It's just the nature of the beast.. But I will say.. The closer you can get the pressure to over 9000 psi.. the cleaner it will burn..

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It is more of an issue with a gas operated auto. I love my Remingtons but they don't like dirty powder. Not too much of an issue with longshot since it is only used in my 20 with heavy loads which cycle the gun clean or dirty. I prefer universal or unique with the 20 both much cleaner. They advertise 20/28 as a clean powder but I have never seen it available where I buy my powder. Might be a very good choice for a clean powder in a 28.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.