Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bar, what Gary failed to mention is that the numbers are from 1200 shells at 40 yards, where it works as long as you make a 450% correction. He just copied it and got it wrong and didn't know it but if you just substitute "0.9 ft-lb" for the incorrect "0.2" you will be right according to Shotgun Ballistics for Windows.

Russell's books are famous for their bad proofreading (though I never noticed it) so it's possible that Gary was correctly transcribing an incorrect value.

Yours in Sport,

Neil, Forensic Copy-editor

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I am guessing, Doc just hit the wrong key, maybe a little Pendleton or MD 20/20 either way that is my guess and he may not have proof read it before he sent it. Scott

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the numbers are not the same, Mike. That's because in his years leading research at Winchester, Ed Lowry found that a load clocked at 1200 fps at three feet had a lot of pellets going faster. His program, Shotgun Ballistics for Windows (no longer obtainable) corrected for that and the resulting energy numbers are higher.

Neil

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I wouldn't bother, Mike. I think you should leave it. There's still a lot of good information there and a bit of an error in speed or energy is not at all important. The _relationships_ remain the same, so it still gives us what we are after.

The absolute values are, in fact, of almost no use at all. It's the way speed and mass interact that we are mostly interested in, if we look at all

Neil.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was going to hire the good Dr. to do a shooting clinic for new shooters in Colorado after the 1st of January, as you know Colorado legalized recreational marijuana and the good Dr. should fit in with his teachings. The class can roll one and get their guns fitted by an expert. With all the contiversity on his theories and performance I have dropped the idea.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, HMB. I don't formally ascend to the office of Forensic Copy Editor until the first of the year, but I just couldn't wait to spread the news.

You must have noticed that my predecessor has had no luck in fixing anything for many months; she asked to be relieved citing exhaustion and Management acceded.

Searching for a successor, they developed a small spider which went through every post counting correct usages of the semi-colon and I jetted to the top right away.

I view my brief as that of a super-monitor, having not just the power to delete posts, but to edit them for quality as well.

I'm sure that anyone who makes the mistake of expressing the point-of-impact of a gun as a percentage - 70/30, that sort of thing - will appreciate having his or her description changed to the correct "inches." Likewise, anyone conjecturing about the recoil differences between powders will be spared embarrassment by having his or her post removed, with no more than a PM warning.

And all the rest will be , I'm sure, thankful for corrections to their spelling, grammar, and even the way I plan to advise a preferable choice of words. I'll do this by just editing the post so as not to disrupt the flow of conversation.

There will be a new category, "Corrections," where interested readers can find the reason for the changes to their own submissions or scan for advice on future participation in order to be in closer concert with the new rules. It will be impossible to "opt out" of "Corrections" of course, since it's for everyone's own good.

Look for it in the New Year!

Neil

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Neil - While we're nitpicking, could you also give a clinic on proper usage of the words LOSE and LOOSE? Differentiating between these two words seems to be particularly challenging to many on this forum.

-Gary :)

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, there will be lots of clinics, Gary! In fact, passing a test at the end of three of them will be the only way many, many participants here will be able to re-activate their posting privileges for subjects they like to write about. The system will be much like that proposed for moving 27-yarders forward against their will.

A string of, for example, erroneous posts about barrel cleaning will close that subject to an offender until he can pass an exam not only on that topic, but perhaps, shotgun lubrication and stock refinishing as well.

When you see my list of improvements, Gary, you will understand why "lose" and "loose" don't even make the first few pages.

Neil

·
Registered
589 Posts
Neil;

Will your promotion to forensic copy editor lead to a new chapter in your book or will these teachings be restricted to those who peruse these hallowed postings?

Ken

Note, proper use of semi-colon above.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
WOW!

I might as well find another place to go to, I have no chance with the new rules going into effect/affect.

Or become another lurker.

Shoot well and have fun.......Rickyd

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Dear Mr. Forensic Copy-editor, or should I say, Mr. Forensic Copy-Editor, per Gregg or the Chicago Traditional Manual. How do you reconcile with this:eek:r?.

"(1) Capitalize the second word in compound words if it is a noun or proper adjective or the words have equal weight (Cross-Reference, Pre-Microsoft Software, Run-Time);"

Us grammatically impaired need to know!

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, SS, you should say - say? Don't you mean "write?" - neither. A spilt-second (no, not Split-Second) of research would tell you that my error, had it been an error, would have been the hyphen, not the capitalization. Here's the first few words from Wiki:

"Copy editing (also copy-editing, copyediting)"

My first reference, to HMB, "Neil, Forensic Copy-editor" was capitalized since it was a title.

Even Ms. Saller would agree and she's from Chicago too, after all.

Neil

Since you are so tuned-up (not Tuned-Up) on this , I hesitate to point out that

"Dear Mr. Forensic Copy-editor, or should I say, Mr. Forensic Copy-Editor, per Gregg or the Chicago Traditional Manual." is, in fact, not a sentence, though you apparently think it is. There's no verb.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Neil, I look forward to you diagramming some sentences as part of your new role here. Just like charts only for words ..... Dan

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Thinking it's a sentence? They told me when I joined the ATA that thinking was not required and if I was willing to give up thinking completely I might even make the EC. ;-)

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I wish that chart had ballistics for field loads, very large shot and buckshot.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Neil, I am gonna fight you on this and your proposed changes. Guess I should say mandates. Your gonna get tired of me! Lol Then when the day comes that you no longer can tolerate by less than accessible usage of the American language commonly known as English, the exceeding horrid punctuation usage and the scorn of unsubstantiated expressions, you have a new title. From that day forth when I no longer will be allowed access to this historic site of sophisticated technological analogy's, you will be knighted as the "Legend Killer".

I can still tell red dot from green dot at same velocity. You have yet to prove me wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts