Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our trap leagues we shoot two rounds of trap. The first round is from the 16 yard line and then one round of handicap. The total score of the first round dictates where we shoot the second, handicap, round.

The past couple of weeks we've been shooting from the 25 and 26 yard line. I've never shot much handicap and while I'm a good 16 yard shooter I really struggle with long yardage handicap. Tonight I shot a 14. Last week it was a 15!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don’t rush is the biggest thing to take away. Many people think that you have to get on it faster because it’s farther away, and that really isn’t the case. A full choke with 7.5 shot or even 8s has plenty of busting power all the way to the dirt but you MUST see the target clearly. So take your time and calmly break it. If I were you I’d go shoot a couple hundred targets at 27 for the next few times you practice, you’ll be amazed how easy the 16 seems and you’ll have a better understanding at the 25-27.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Lower hold point. If you can set your gun to shoot a little higher, you might do that too.

Oh, and best to use Premium shells (harder shot patterns tighter), and definitely 1-1/8 ounce, preferably 7-1/2's and 1200 fps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some of the folks have touched on a few keys that I have found over the years. Little bit tighter choke, little heavier shells, lower hold point while actually holding my eyes in same place as singles. Higher POI has helped me but I don't change my comb/gun at all between events. The shell speed and increasee distance usually take care of the higher POI for you. From there, trust your eyes and execute your shot just like in singles. Long yardage has been humbling good trapshooters forever, enjoy the challenge! Best of luck and happy shooting.

Pat

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I'd rather shoot from the 20 back. I suck up close. Those birds are cruising or seem like they are. Your natural move to the bird farther back is less. Maybe why I like it so much!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Your hold point should be the same from the fence as it is at the 16's.If you hold on the house at 16 do not hold higher at the fence.
A hard right from the fence is a lesser angle than from the 16.
At long yardage you have to make the right move the first time.and yes FULL choke..

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I use an improved mod choke for singles and full choke for handicap.
Are you sure of how the full choke patterns. The IM you stated gets the job done. While I am not going to get into the IM vs Full debate for the 54th time this year, it might be the case that the Full patterns different. Also you can throw rocks at 16yard targets and get smoke. Move back and you will need so good hard shot AKA a box of AA's or STS's.

That said. I am a long yardage shooter. I use good shells, a full choke, and a high shooting gun...and I have shot plenty of teen scores.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Are you sure of how the full choke patterns. The IM you stated gets the job done. While I am not going to get into the IM vs Full debate for the 54th time this year, it might be the case that the Full patterns different. Also you can throw rocks at 16yard targets and get smoke. Move back and you will need so good hard shot AKA a box of AA's or STS's.

That said. I am a long yardage shooter. I use good shells, a full choke, and a high shooting gun...and I have shot plenty of teen scores.
It’s very easy to miss a couple here and there and end up with an 18!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last night I was shooting Remington Gun Clubs, 1 1/8 ounce,#8, 1200 fps.
They were on sale for $5.49 last week. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts