Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been to a bigger shoot, but I hear stories about guns getting stolen ect. I was thinking that one of those coated cable lock would work to lock it the gun rack. A guy could steal part of the gun, but you would think someone would ask questions if they seem them messing with it while locked up. You could always bring it back and lock it in your car, but then it only takes a few minutes to jimmy the lock or break out a window. You guys with higher end guns; how do you secure your guns when not using at a place with a lot of people?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I can't remember the last time I heard of a gun stolen at a shoot. I'm sure someone will be along to say different about that. I've found most trapshooters are pretty salt of the earth honest types. That being said I think if you have a high dollar gun you're worried about look into insurance. It's cheap piece of mind.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,249 Posts
I can't remember the last time I heard of a gun stolen at a shoot. I'm sure someone will be along to say different about that. I've found most trapshooters are pretty salt of the earth honest types. That being said I think if you have a high dollar gun you're worried about look into insurance. It's cheap piece of mind.
In all seriousness, I know quite a few people who’ve gotten their guns stolen. Just don’t be stupid...unfortunately, there are some real pieces of shit out there looking for easy prey.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I lock mine in the car at the range. When about to shoot I will put it in the rack and sit next to the rack.
At the motel, I bring it into my room. If eating before going to the motel, I'll try to park where I can see the car when eating. I'll also move all shooting related stuff, ie vest, pouches to the trunk.

Jason

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Just shoot an ugly gun like I do. I can leave it lying around and nobody looks at it or touches it. It's only 48 years old and the stock is full of dents and dings and some of the bluing has worn off. Did I mention the duct tape on the comb?

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
What Waverider said. At my local club, numerous guns have been stolen at big shoots. They try to keep it quiet, be careful with your stuff. No decals or stickers on car, keep gun stuff out of view, be smart. If gun is insured, make sure vehicle is locked when gun is inside. If gun is not insured, get insurance.

I know of an SCTP team that left all their guns in the Coach's car overnight, over $100K loss, no insurance.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Mine is always in my sight, and next to my bed at the hotel. Never had one stolen. Had the truck stolen in San Antonio, with my favorite thermos inside, but my gun was with me. I still miss that USA made thermos.

I was involved where a minty 870 TC was missing from the clubhouse rack and a ragged 870 field gun was left behind. That was resolved later, but there was a lot of nervous stress before recovery.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
At the G C it stays in the Car as long as possible and then in the gun rack & I'm close by .After shooting back in the car . No stickers ( NRA , GC ,etc ) on the car , in the hotel the case locked to the bedframe or something like that with a cable lock .If I go somewhere I keep a light and the the Tv on and have the : Do not disturb sign on the doorhandle

·
Registered
961 Posts
In all seriousness, I know quite a few people who’ve gotten their guns stolen.
At my local club, numerous guns have been stolen at big shoots.
Were these at ATA, NSCA or NSSA shoots? Like jk80, I do not remember hearing of anybody's gun being stolen. But I only shoot ATA. Maybe the crooks are more focused on the others.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Never leave your gun unattended. Lock it in your car when not in use. Beware of people marking your car at the shoot, then breaking in at a restaurant or motel.

·
Registered
32,288 Posts
I hear more about mix ups than stolen guns at a shoot. Charlie and Joe have identical Browning 725’s and Charlie picks up Joes gun by mistake and takes it home. Sometimes both go home with each other’s gun.

Reactions: jk80

·
Registered
190 Posts
I never place my gun in a gun rack, it is with me or in my locked vehicle. Too many dings, scratches result in a gun rack. Also, I witnessed 3 shotguns (all O/U's) blown out the gun racks via the wind. 2 resulted in broken forends.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts