Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sports columnist hunter fishermen friend bullshitter . Knew Steve all my life. Passing on at 68 is so young. He supported gun rights and the second amendment. In the 70s when I ran the patrol boat at lake Isabella we talked for hours whether he was hunting or fishing. He will be missed. I knew him from his home town Butonwillow. I delivered farm equipment for International Harvesters and would see and eat lunch with him at the Jolly cone by the Canal many times.
Rest in peace Steve

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
In the early 1970s I lived in Taft California and had heard about the hunting and fishing Merlo brothers from Buttonwillow. I got to talk to both of them while I was waiting in line to hunt ducks at the Kern National Wildlife Refuge around 1975.

I was very lucky and got to meet Larry Merlo, Steve's brother when I went to work for Getty Oil back in 1983. I went hunting and fishing with Larry and got to meet Steve Merlo when I went hunting with Larry.

I have never known a person that hunted and fished more than Steve Merlo.

If Steve called and said he had a dove hunting spot, that meant it was time to go dove hunting. Steve put in lots of time scouting for hunting and fishing spots, so if Steve said it looked good, it was good or great most of the time.

I will miss reading Steve Merlo's outdoor articles in the Bakersfield Californian newspaper every week. But I will miss the dove hunts with Steve even more.

Rest in peace Steve Merlo, you will be missed.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Did not know the man but sounds like a really nice gentleman who was able to peruse his hobbies with passion.
Passing at 68 is very young but going in your sleep is not a bad way to go when your time is up.
RIP Mr. Merlo

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I didn't know Mr. Merlo personally, but his writing made you feel like a friend. His column's were great. Condolences to his family

1 - 8 of 8 Posts