Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be going out next week for woodcock and will be using my Ithica 100 12 gauge with 26" barrels and was wondering if a 1oz. or 7/8oz. of #8's would be a good load? The gun is choked IC and MOD. This is the first time I will be going for just woodcock and getting excited to go with my two friends and their English setters.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
for the little birds, Grouse, woodcock etc. i just use my trap shells. They work fine for them and theres always plenty around.JMHO Bill

·
Registered
340 Posts
WOod cock seem to prefer to flush almost verticle, and then any angle afterward. They rarely fly very far after flushing. (they can fly far however because they are migratory). Their whistling upon flushing is odd but cool.

Wood cock are small and agile; I have found that even #9's are OK.

If you are skilled enough to get any, look closely at them, they have very colorful underlayers of feathers.

have fun

js in PA

·
Registered
182 Posts
All you'll need is 7/8 oz of 8's - you'll be shooting close with pointing dogs -I did all rite last week with the 410 here in upstate NY - you dont need alot to drop WC - have fun stay with the dogs

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
I hunted them last year with an Ithaca 100 sxs in 20ga that I borrowed. I brought 2 guns......EVERY grouse and woodcock I got was with the Ithaca 20 sxs ~ 1 shot each bird! I used my skeet loads and they worked great and were all clean kills. I since bought my own Ithaca 100 20 ga from a fella here on TS'com. It was F/M and I had it opened up to IC/IC. LOVE that gun! I brought home 1 great grouse fan and 1 great woodcock tail and made a shadow box. I have a picture of me, bf and the dog I hunted over in the shadow box along with the fans I dried and leathered the bottoms. Great hunt!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Dont overthink this. a light 8 trap load is all you need for grouse/woodcock. When the woodcock are gone, switch to light 7.5s for the balance of the grouse season. Jess in northern Michigan

·
Registered
772 Posts
Have shot many Woodcock in N. Wisconsin&Up of Michigan, and my favorite has always been 28 gauge or 20ga Model 12 w/ 8's w/ skeet choke with the edge to the 28 ga. Just a great gun/load/choke combo.Beleive me , you don't need anything more.

·
Registered
622 Posts
For woodcock, eights are great.(Partridge too). To me, this is the opposite of duck hunting. Instead of large shot, magnum loads and repeaters, it's lighter loads and single shots. These birds aren't hard to kill, just hard to hit.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Shooting at woodcock is mostly just poke the gun in the general direction and shoot/ It rare you will a shot where you can set your feet, make a smooth move and follow thru.

·
Registered
537 Posts
When I lived in Michigan I used this 20 ga. for grouse and woodcock. It's fixed choke I/C Mod but has tight barrels..it usually patterns tighter than marked dependent on the shell.

I liked soft 6s for everything. When I shoot woodcock with fine shot they tend to get blown up. The 6s have less pattern density and tend to go through the birds so I have less shot in the meat. The bigger shot also helps shooting through the trees at grouse.

Text Font White Product Line

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
i used 9's the few times I was able to hunt them. They seemed to work just fine. Jeff

·
Registered
858 Posts
We used to get into a few woodcock in NE Missouri back in the 70's and 80's when quail hunting. Early in quail season before the ground froze.

I used an 1100 20gauge with 7/8 0z. #8's and it killed them pretty dead.

Man , I miss the bird hunting we had in those days. All those places we hunted, the dogs never moved a deer, just covey after covey and the occasional wood cock. Now those same patches of brush and fencerows hold more deer than birds.Nothing's more fun than hunting behind a couple of good bird dogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.