Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used reclaimed shot for the first time today and found that the shot weighted less than when using new shot. I am loading on a Mec 9000H. I loaded 40 shells and checked 10 of them and they all weighted the same. Put some new shot 8;s) in the loader and weighted the drop. It was what I have been loading. Anyone loading reclaimed shot have this happen when loading? Thanks

·
Banned
2,758 Posts
What size new shot are you using? You will get different weights with different size shot. Ch. bar is volume not weight. How much light is the reclaimed shot.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,257 Posts
All reclaimed shot is somewhat deformed. The more deformed shot you have the less weight that you have in the same space that measures your shot. Therefore it will weigh less. The best reclaimed shot that I have seen will be 1 and 1/16 oz if you normally load 1 and 1/8 oz loads. Normal would be 1 oz for the same load. More deformed shot might possible be less than 1 oz. Just shoot it.Terry

·
Registered
817 Posts
I doubt that one should expect mixed (reclaimed) shot to weigh the same as shot of one uniform size when dropped form the same size shot bar.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
You state that you weighed\usually use new #8, the rc may contain more 7&1\2s that would also make rc weigh less going through the same bushing. Ross Puls

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would just adjust the shot charge bar on my SL900 to drop 492grns. and be done with it. Pretty easy. Joe

·
Supporting Vendor
1,257 Posts
If you adjust your shot charge bar you will be increasing the volume of shot therefore taking up more space in your wad. Not as easy as it may seem. Just shoot it. Terry

·
Registered
653 Posts
I found I have use one size bigger shot bushing to get the right weight, et. al.
1 1/8 ounce bushing to get 1 ounce charge.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you would take an ounce of new shot, place it on a level, flat surface and roll it, then do the same with an ounce of reclaimed, you probably would not want to use reclaimed. It will fly much like it rolls.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you would take an ounce of new shot, place it on a level, flat surface and roll it, then do the same with an ounce of reclaimed, you probably would not want to use reclaimed. It will fly much like it rolls.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,257 Posts
You keep thinking that JT 27 cause I can't polish reclaimed lead shot fast enough for the customers that I already have. Terry.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I would like to see proof of JT's statement. I want to see it fly like it rolls. You can't just make shit up and expect nobody to call you on it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Neil mentions relclaimed shot and economy shells,Section 3 Page 7.

I have linked the document if anyone is interested.

Good Shooting.

Shawn

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Jmunsell now you got me thinking..not always a good thing.

At what point does shot become most deformed?

Does it happen going down the barrel,in the air, or when it hits the ground?

Grntitan love the comment..cracked me up...Bill

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Neil indicates modified choke performance with reclaimed, and I would guess he is basing that on shooting reclaimed through a full choke. Would it be fair to guess that if a person used an extra full or tighter choke one could expect full choke performance? Larry

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
my first 100 steaight was using a 7/8 oz wad and reclaimed shot.

I can't get enough of that stuff!

Al

1 - 20 of 24 Posts