loading oxymoron | Trap Shooters Forum

loading oxymoron

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bigfoot, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Active Member

I reload 99% of what I shoot so I'm not in any way against re-loading.
    Just a thing for me to contemplate without an answer. Funny thinking about it.
    If I shoot the best a 10k plus trap gun,and I reload with a 2k plus re-loader.
    I want to use the best.
    Why reload reclaimed shot.
    This is just a fun thread to look at our self .

2. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Active Member

For the same reason you don't run $10/gallon race gas in a daily driver. Sure you might have a Corvette, but it'll run off $3/gallon 93 octane, why run the really expensive stuff if you don't have to. Just a thought...

Smokey

Ahab thanked this.
  3. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

So you can afford 10K shotguns and 2K loaders. :3a:

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Cwcroft58, 10Goal and smokintom thanked this.
  4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Everybody shoots reclaimed shot. Reclaimed shot is used by reloaders after it is cleaned and polished, true. Reclaimed shot is also sold to shot makers who remelt and repour it. Someday we will try to convert gold into lead. We don’t have any smelters operating in this country anymore.

Ahab thanked this.
  5. BryanF

BryanF Well-Known Member

6. rednight

rednight Well-Known Member

I do not have a 10k gun( nor will I) or a 2k reloader( Maybe someday), and I have been know on occasion to purchase reclaimed shot. I probably wpuld use little pebbles if I could.

JACK thanked this.
  7. jimk60

jimk60 TS Member

I use reclaimed shot. But it has not been fired. It is reclaimed form reject lots of shotgun shells. Is it as good as new, NO. Is it better than fired reclaimed, yes. I don't think I would ever use fired reclaimed.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't Rick up Barkers succor post. He is a Purist. Ask him. He'll tell you. TIC

Rick Barker thanked this.
  9. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

TIC=troops in contact. Call a fire mission.

Rick Barker thanked this.
  10. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

If I shoot a 3K trap gun and use a $400 loader, I guess it is ok to shoot reclaimed shot?

ganger thanked this.
  11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the clay targets complain about your using reclaimed shot then stop using it. HMB

12. John Henry

John Henry Well-Known Member

Ive seen some barrels scratched, so I wont use it on an expensive gun. I bought some in the past, and wont again.

Rebel Sympathy, Leo and SecondChance thanked this.
  13. Scorpion8

Scorpion8 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Because the two are different. The shotgun and the reloader will be in your possession next week, the shot you shoot will not be. It will be out in a field somewhere. It is for all purposes, throw away. Why throw-away top-of-the-line stuff? But of all the processes still under your control, heck yea, use the $10K shotgun and the $2k reloader. But if you're going to load hulls with gold plated shot so that you're only using top-of-the-line shot, then I have a bridge to sell you....

Ahab thanked this.
  14. John Henry

John Henry Well-Known Member

I think the OP was going for "IRONY" and not "OXYMORON."

15. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

One round HE quick ought to do it.

flashmax thanked this.
  16. trap_Reg

trap_Reg Well-Known Member

Awww, lets go all the way back to musket balls on this.
    Remember that spheres have just about THE WORST ballistic flight characteristics, enter development of the conical bullet, rifling and PRECISION.
    Ahh, but DEFORMED spheres are even worse in terms of predictability of their flight path.

As to whether or not it MATTERS in shotguns (scatter guns) probably not, we kinda DEPEND on shot getting distributed.
    Talk about tight chokes notwithstanding, we wouldn't WANT all our shot to fall into a 3 inch circle at 40 yards<joke>
    I do NOT want to do the math on this, but at a guess SOME deformed sphere shot will fly out of the desired path and some will even fly back in.
    There are a lot of 'em - (leftist comment; diversity helps here).

RFinc thanked this.
  17. nducky

nducky Active Member

As I said before, run a magnet over the shot to get any steel shot out or will scratch your barrel.

18. redfin1956

redfin1956 Well-Known Member

I love reclaimed shot!!!!!!!!! the last batch I bought looked like new

ganger thanked this.
  19. car777

car777 Active Member

Just wondering. If the shot is encased by the wad cup how can it scratch the barrel?

Tripod and ganger thanked this.
  20. KS-5 Spec.

KS-5 Spec. Well-Known Member

If nice, new, pretty round lead takes on the shape of reclaimed lead before it gets to the bird, where are you benefiting by using it. With the scratches in the barrel, what is with the infatuation of looking down the inside of a barrel. I have never once picked up or looked at a $10,000 gun and thought, damn, I wonder what the inside of the barrel looks like.

I think you would all be surprised at how scratched up the inside of your barrels are that shoot nothing but new lead, or factory shells. Sure they won't be the 1/4" looking gaps when you see the magnified photos of the worst case scenario where the reclaimed used is straight from the ground to the shell, or used a handful of gravel to prove a point, but that same magnification would surprise you.

If the scratches don't affect performance when switching back to new lead, then why is it a worry. If you want to sell the gun, and someone says they will only give you $500 less for the gun, tell them you will have them buffed out when they give you that $500 extra, and you want to charge them an extra $100 for widening the bore. Most of the worst scratches are right at the end of the chamber/beginning of the bore, and the forcing cone, which by the way is where most lead deformation is happening. The rest would be the choke constriction.

Look on the bright side, just look at all of that money you are saving, but yet have another excuse for missing. I have to laugh at the guys that try it, and shoot a 20. They claim right away the stuff is chit. I then always ask them what the reason was for the other many 20's they shot with new lead. I have never heard anything close to something that resembled it was their fault.

ganger thanked this.