Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading STS shells on my Spolar for years. I have recently got a deal on Federal Gold Medals and am trying to reload them. Unfortunately, they do not load the same way. The crimp goes deep and, in some cases, allows some shot to spill. After calling Spolar, they suggested a few things (the crimp station). But, it only does a fair job. Carter Spolar told me that someone on Trapshooter had a similar problem and had a remedy for it but he did not remember. Any help out there?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Show us a picture of a Federal shell that you have loaded on your Spolar and give us the powder, wad, and shot weight combination that you are using. I will bet some of these folks on here can offer you a solution muy pronto. I load the Feds on one of my Spolars with no issues.......

·
Premium Member
4,665 Posts
I load on a Spolar . I load Federal hulls with WW-209 primers , CB-2118-12 wads , 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot , and 17.7 gr (Canadian ) Clays powder for a 1150 fps shell and they look as good as factory shells . Same outcome with American made Estate hulls .

Reactions: chipped99

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I load on a Spolar . I load Federal hulls with WW-209 primers , CB-2118-12 wads , 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot , and 17.7 gr (Canadian ) Clays powder for a 1150 fps shell and they look as good as factory shells . Same outcome with American made Estate hulls .
Same here.
john

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
I have been loading STS shells on my Spolar for years. I have recently got a deal on Federal Gold Medals and am trying to reload them. Unfortunately, they do not load the same way. The crimp goes deep and, in some cases, allows some shot to spill. After calling Spolar, they suggested a few things (the crimp station). But, it only does a fair job. Carter Spolar told me that someone on Trapshooter had a similar problem and had a remedy for it but he did not remember. Any help out there?
I run Gold Medals using Green Dot and 12S3 wads, 1.125 oz of shot without issue. Same hull with 18gr Red Dot, 12SO and 420gr of shot without issue.

Loader setup for the above and I can run Gun Club, STS or AA without changing a thing other than wads and the amount of powder I drop.

What is your recipe as I suspect that's where the issue lies?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Since you didn't mention it.....did you switch from a tapered wall wad, to a straight wall wad, when you switched to the FED GM? If not, that is at least part of your problem.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You need to start out fresh,with the right load components and adjustments,they should look like factory shells,when done,also you will find that the Estate shells will probably,load the same without,much adjustments,I have loaded barrel full's of Estates,for years now,but only ,one and done.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run Gold Medals using Green Dot and 12S3 wads, 1.125 oz of shot without issue. Same hull with 18gr Red Dot, 12SO and 420gr of shot without issue.

Loader setup for the above and I can run Gun Club, STS or AA without changing a thing other than wads and the amount of powder I drop.

What is your recipe as I suspect that's where the issue lies?
I am using 12S3, 1.125 shot, 18gr Clays for the Gold Medals. Previous to that I was loading STS with the same configuration but with Windjammer wads. Can wads be interchanged?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am using 12S3, 1.125 shot, 18gr Clays for the Gold Medals. Previous to that I was loading STS with the same configuration but with Windjammer wads. Can wads be interchanged?
You may want to try the 12s0 wad for the gold medals. I load International powder in the gold metal hulls and get dished crimps on the Mec 9000 if I use the 12s3 wads.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The 12SO wads is for straight walled hull's and 1OZ of shot,the 12S3 is for 1&1/8 OZ shot for the same hull.I know people,don't like to readjust their setting's on their press,but that's the way it is,for most of us,[ sometimes me included ] .One thing you can try,is to, go and adjust the final crimp and if it doesn't improve your shell,go the opposite,way on the adjustment,do this in small increments
and compare,the results,marking your dies,with white out,paper correction fluid,will help you,keep a reference mark,so you have something to go by,this is what I have used for many years,now and it
won't hurt the dies,you can also remove it, with a damp rag.

·
Registered
185 Posts
One possibility, is the Clays powder the new vintage stuff that they came out with after the fire shut them down. I started loading with that stuff and had to drop down several bushing sizes to get the correct weight and by then the crimps were caved in allowing shot to spill out. I switched back to Clay Dot powder and am loading 1145 fps and 1200 fps loads and they look like factory again. Something changed with the density of the new formula of Clays compared to the pre-fire formula. Hope this makes some sense and might help you out.

Loading Federal GM hulls on Spolar 446 hydraulic since I bought it in 2003.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
The later GM hulls have the same internal capacity as the new GM Grand hulls. If you use the Fed 12So = 1.0 oz. wad instead of the Fed 12S3 - 1 1/8 oz. wad, It will raise the stack height to give you a good crimp. FWIW. Bill

·
Registered
890 Posts
The whole point of getting the right looking and performing loads,is load the right components and then do a proper adjustment,on your press.I know this is done in many forms and juggling
components here and there,but this probably,isn't going to stop,as there are reloaders with skill sets and some without skill sets?A lot of folks just want to pull the handle and don't want to know anything else,about proper reloading,all they want is a finished shell and that's it.One of our reloaders,who has a Spolar and has reloaded for years,has gotten away,with evading some problems as
he gets advise from others,but he may be at wits end now,recently one of our shooters found oil on his charge bar and cleaned and lubed it properly,he said he didn't know how it got there?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The later GM hulls have the same internal capacity as the new GM Grand hulls. If you use the Fed 12So = 1.0 oz. wad instead of the Fed 12S3 - 1 1/8 oz. wad, It will raise the stack height to give you a good crimp. FWIW. Bill
Will it matter if the load is 1 1/8oz in a 1 oz. wad?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts