Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive loaded 410s on my Spolar for 4 years without many problems. Suddenly it took me 2 hours to load 100 shells because the the various problems I've been having.

Shot bridging ......I bought the drop tube that has a window cut of the bottom which is recommended by Spolar. I think the bridging is even worse with it. I want to use 8 1/2 shot but about 30 % of the drops clog in the tube. So I changed to 9 shot and it is only slightly better.

Primers are not feeding into the primer cup from the male and female primer feed slide assembly like they should. I cleaned it but no difference. I adjusted the nut on the spring/threaded rod assembly but again no better. I'd say I have about 1/8 inch of the threaded rod exposed above the nut.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
126 Posts
call spolar they will talk you through the adjustments. the machine should have come from the factory with your load already adjusted! my machine, seriously, loads perfectly without exception to gauge. with regard to your shot bridging, check and be sure the shot is clean and well graphited , any oxidation will assist in bridging.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I sometimes load 8's for my 410 sporting loads. Since the drop tube is so narrow, and I hate spilling shot, I've developed the habit of tapping it with a screwdriver before the tube clears the hull. I know it sounds "mickey mouse", but 410's are a different animal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dicksie says that I probably have "bad shot"......hence my post to see anyone else has similar problem they have worked through.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Could you possibly be using reclaimed shot? I have seen it with way too much graphite on it, causing it to bridge. I honestly don't load the small gauges so don't have any feel for that. I know loading 12 GA on my Spolar and using primarily Westcoast, and a few bags of Northwest, have never had an issue. But that tube is no doubt much larger of course.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I adjusted the height of the drop tube to where it just barely touches the wad base on the upstroke which seems to fix the problem . Also recommended by Carter Spolar.

KySkeet....I moved my nut to about 2 threads exposed which has helped the consistency of the primer feed.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Use only premium brands of magnum shot. I like Lawrence Brand myself and use 8 1/2's all the time for the 410. When/if I ever get any bridging I clean the inside of the dropper tube the best I can. That worked for me the only time I ever had a problem with bridging. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

Try one nice tap on the side of the machine at the proper time (stop handle) to un-jam it on every stroke until you get some better shot. On my Mec this time is just after I start to lift the handle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts