Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there reloaded 12 gauge rounds for 00 buckshot? Do you need to have a special wad to load them or is there no wad required?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not worth fooling with to handload. I bought a couple hundred Fiochi #4 buck for a great price several years ago. I'll never run out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tell ya what you can do. Take a small drill and drill a hole through the OOB. Lace them on to a 50 lb. monofilament line and tie a knot tight to each end. Coil into shell. They will shoot a very tight pattern to WAY out there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Factory loads are much better.I use to burn bunches of 00 and #1 buck dog hunting for deer in NC tried a few hand loads found out quick that factory was much better.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I've loaded thousands of rounds of 00 buck. You use a regular wad. Usually it's one with a very short cushion space to get the correct stack height. The hard part is getting the shot lined up and compressed into place. They go in three at a time and alternate bake and forth to stack up. I made a machine like a powder measure to drop three at a time and used a reloading block that held 50 shells. Pushed the three pellets into place and repeated the process until I had 12 in the shell for a 2 3/4 load or 15 for a 3" magnum. There is plenty of recipes for 00 buck. The Lyman book has some and you can find recipes elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
+1 on not worth reloading unless the performance you want is not available commercially. How many boxes of buckshot do you expect to go through in a year?

·
Registered
434 Posts
My fabulous BIL wanted to cut into/open some 410 loads so he could throw in any kind of scrap he found for his Taurus Judge. When I told him it was a stupid idea and maybe even dangerous, he though I was nuts. I tried to explain that I have been reloading shotgun/rifle/pistol for 45 years. He thought he knew more than me. He thinks because I reload 410, I can just throw anything in there. lol

Same BIL I loaned an 870 to that returned it looking like it had been thrown in saltwater for a couple of years. He is wanting to borrow another shotgun...eek.

I don't even know how to respond to that request.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My fabulous BIL wanted to cut into/open some 410 loads so he could throw in any kind of scrap he found for his Taurus Judge. When I told him it was a stupid idea and maybe even dangerous, he though I was nuts. I tried to explain that I have been reloading shotgun/rifle/pistol for 45 years. He thought he knew more than me. He thinks because I reload 410, I can just throw anything in there. lol

Same BIL I loaned an 870 to that returned it looking like it had been thrown in saltwater for a couple of years. He is wanting to borrow another shotgun...eek.

NO is a complete sentence.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tell ya what you can do. Take a small drill and drill a hole through the OOB. Lace them on to a 50 lb. monofilament line and tie a knot tight to each end. Coil into shell. They will shoot a very tight pattern to WAY out there.
Have you ever done that or just read about it?

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
271 Posts

Could have kept it simple. Taurus Judge = stupid idea.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Jack Ryan. I have done it........It works.
I pour my own from the lee molds and those come out of the mold in groups of three. You have to cut them apart. I've loaded those in to reloads with out cutting them. They make three really tight groups of three. LOL.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Years ago there was a commercial loader named Haliek sp? who would load 000 buck by dumping shot out of duck loads and loading round balls. He used roll crimps. His loads were sought after by all the locals. jack m

·
Registered
775 Posts
I found a buck shot load using Alliant Bluedot powder with the Winchester AA12R wad in winchester CF AA cases which I had on hand. Winchester has discontinued this wad but Claybuster offers the AA12R as a clone. I cant remember he powder charge but did use #4 buck shot with a loaded weight of 1 1/4 ounces of lead.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I've loaded that blue dot load. It's somewhere in the low 30s. I have an old Lyman manual that probably has it listed.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ah, buckshot. In my limited experience, it isn't worth the effort. Years ago I was shooting my own 8ga muzzle loader and was using 30, 31 cal RBs. Couldn't hit geese 30 yards away decoying into decoys in a cut corn field. Found out you're suppose to use the correct size buck for the gauge gun you're shooting. one buck, 2 buck, or whatever. The buck should lay flat, and some filler is put in so the balls don't move around when going down the barrel. Other wise the balls will want to creep into the space in front of it and come out not so round, but distorted. This will cause them to fly every where destroying the pattern. This was from White Laboratories and their high speed photos. I just went to #2 shot and forgot about it. Fast forward 40 years and I now own a 1882 Remington 10ga hammergun. It has a 40 cal barrel rifle liner for one barrel. So after a bit I come up with a load for the 40, and want to go deer hunting with it and buckshot in the other barrel. I buy some filler from BPI and try my darnest to find a load that will group past 25 yards. The buckshot lays flat in nice little layers, and the filler is filling the spaces, but no luck. I think if I shot at someone they'd have the best luck of not getting hit if they didn't move. I know some guys reload it for coyotes out to 50 yards - wish I knew how they do it. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Years ago there was a commercial loader named Haliek sp? who would load 000 buck by dumping shot out of duck loads and loading round balls. He used roll crimps. His loads were sought after by all the locals. jack m
Guns Magazine July 1957, page 33:

Buckshot Is For Bucks

In the 1950s buckshot did not exactly have a stellar reputation, but in states like New Jersey buckshot was the only legal method of taking deer. Indeed, there were even myths regarding the best choke for buckshot, as the author clearly shows. But the crux of the article revolves around a New Jersey gunsmith who found a better way.

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/G0757.pdf

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 3 bags of these 1 1/4 wads. Got them in a package deal. I doubt I will ever use them.

PM me & I will mail you some to try out. Dennis

upload_2020-7-22_8-4-36.png

1 - 20 of 25 Posts