Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like or want a black rifle! they are ugly, heavy for size, and all look alike. Looks like something Mattie Matel would have made as a toy in the 60's.
BUT..in view of current issues and fully understanding that if a non-sympathetic person gains the White house, I will probably never get one. And I may really need one! SOOO...I gathered pieces and built one. A 300 Blackout. I wanted a 308 but parts were not readily available. Friends said go to a 223. WHY??? A subsonic 223 is about what a 22 long rifle is. Just buy a Ruger 1022. At least you get to see wood.

Anyway, I found stuff and loaded some 300's. They shoot and the gun cycles ok. I will put some sort of sight arrangement on it, sight it in, and put it in the corner in reach.
At 73, loading for something that I don't like is a real chore. I know what it was made for, a 10" barrel and suppressor to be used inside houses. (mine is longer and no suppressor) I guess so you won't wake up the people in the next room. A REAL rifle should hold more than 14gr of shotgun powder. YUUK!

But I have one!
Jim

·
Registered
13,147 Posts
Same here, never felt the need for one, but current affairs by the new worlds communist, I think I'd better get one. Demand is HIGH right now, "out of stock" is everywhere. Glad I've been a shooter all my life and know and have lots of "friends"!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't like or want a black rifle! they are ugly, heavy for size, and all look alike. Looks like something Mattie Matel would have made as a toy in the 60's.
BUT..in view of current issues and fully understanding that if a non-sympathetic person gains the White house, I will probably never get one. And I may really need one! SOOO...I gathered pieces and built one. A 300 Blackout. I wanted a 308 but parts were not readily available. Friends said go to a 223. WHY??? A subsonic 223 is about what a 22 long rifle is. Just buy a Ruger 1022. At least you get to see wood.

Anyway, I found stuff and loaded some 300's. They shoot and the gun cycles ok. I will put some sort of sight arrangement on it, sight it in, and put it in the corner in reach.
At 73, loading for something that I don't like is a real chore. I know what it was made for, a 10" barrel and suppressor to be used inside houses. (mine is longer and no suppressor) I guess so you won't wake up the people in the next room. A REAL rifle should hold more than 14gr of shotgun powder. YUUK!

But I have one!
Jim
Why would you consider subsonic .223? That doesn't make much sense.

Regular .223/5.56 fits the bill for most AR situations. Seems a little strange that you would opt for a .300 BLK without a short barrel or a suppressor. Kind of defeats the purpose of that cartridge.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tax..not really it is about what a 30-30 is. 150 yd gun. or-so
223 does fit the bill for the platform but it's still a 223. I like bullet mass 150 or more grains beats hell out of a 55 grain bullet.
I don't see MY need for a suppressor. If I use it..and pray I never do, I don't care who hears it. That might even be a benefit, you know, like a pump shotgun being racked.
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
Hey Jim, your opening post says it all - for now... lol

The BLK - if you let it- can lead to soo much more !
I can go on and on about my adventure with ‘The Blackout’ but I just don’t like to type that much. lol

The sad part of my story is that I just sold the one that took me about 4 years to finally build it up to the way I wanted it. (money is an object for me)

The best part is that I bought my daughter a new trap gun with the money !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts