Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to find out if there is a difference in load data between Remington 1 ounch wads, TGT12S and R12L. I have searched the reloading websights and they list the TGT12S but not the R12L. Well, the R12L is what I have. I am new to reloading and want to load some 1 ounch loads for trap.

I understand that everyone has their opinions on what components to use. And I respect that. But, I just want to know if there is a differnce in reloading data between the 2 wads.

Thanks,

Allen

·
Premium Member
11,719 Posts
Call the powder manufacturer and ask them.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
The TGT12S is a fig 8 style---R12L is RXP (power piston) style, both are 1oz size. As per timb99 the "SAFEST and best thing to do is call the powder mfg. In looking through some older data there doesn't appear to be much difference in recipes. Stay with published data and powder mfg recommendation.

Also those R12L wads may be getting some age on them, check to be sure they are not brittle and hard. Ross Puls

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
You don't say what powder you have. I found an older recipe using 18 grains of RedDot, which should give you about 1200 fps with one ounce of shot. Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far.

I will try calling the powder manufacturer.

The wads are brand new, bought them at Bass Pro yesterday.

I'm starting out with Hodgdon's Internation powder.

Just putting a recipe together with what was available at the store that matched up with the data I had, that being what was on the Hodgdon's websight and my reloading book.

Probably not the best recipe out there, but just starting out. In the trial and error faze.

Thanks,

Allen

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Hodgen international is a good powder, it's a medium burning rate, takes a couple gr. more than 700X--Clays--RD--etc. so will be a little more expensive. Maybe a little lighter in perceived recoil. As long as it's in the Hodgens reloading manual it should be fine. Ross Puls

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good day all.

Called Hodgodon's today and the guy I spoke to told me that there should not be much difference in loading data between the two wads.

I asked specifically if I could load the exact same grain amount in either one, and would I have the same results. He told me yes.

I will say he didn't sound too positive about his answer, but that is what he told me.

I think I might call Remington and see what they say.

Allen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Contacted Remington and haven't heard back. I have checked all the reloading data I can find and just can't find an answer.

You would think that if they are going to sell something in a big chain store, that information on that product would be somewhere.

Very frustrating.

Allen

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
The Power Pistons were the gold standard. When Technology made lower cost manufacturing of the new ones possible they ceased production. There are some hunting size Power pistons out there yet.

You can interchange the data.

HM

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The R12L was was never used much by the reloading community or powder manufactures as I recall. Without going out to the garage, if memory serves, these were shorter than most 1 oz wads and required a bulky powder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, finally heard from Remington. They were NO HELP at all! All they told me was they would not give out any reloading data and gave me links to the places I already checked.

I'm kinda mad!

You would think that the people who make a product would know something about what they are making and selling. Silly me! I guess that makes too much sense.

Good thing there are plenty of other companies out there who make shotshell wads.

I don't like the R12L anyway. They don't seem long enough. Most of the ends of the shells I reloaded where too deep and caused a hole where the shot could come out. It was probably me though. These were the first shells I have ever reloaded. Just learning.

Allen

1 - 12 of 12 Posts