Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are contemplating a Llewellin Setter, anybody have personal experience with breeders in the Minnesota area?

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
If you are serious, join the Llewellin Setter Forum on Facebook. Really tough to verify a actual Llewellin bloodline, but there are some good breeders that have been breeding dogs with Llewellin traits. Good luck. If you can't tell, I'm partial to setters myself!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was luck enough to get to share my Llewellyn's "Jake" life. He was a friend, companion and loyal. Also did a pretty good job of finding bird's when we had them around here. They are a walking man's friend. Hunt close and look like a painting when they go on point. I would get another in a heart beat if there were bird's to hunt. Oh only fault with them is digging the bur's out of their beautiful coat's.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My wife and I are contemplating a Llewellin Setter, anybody have personal experience with breeders in the Minnesota area?
I wish I could help you, but I just wanted to relate that my dad had a Llewellyn as I grew up. He was a solid an upland pointing dog as I've ever seen ...a big rugged cuss who had no quit in him either. A lot of pheasants were shot over that dog.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I pulled two names from pointing dog journal that advertise Llewellins. Bobs straight creek Llewellins andLittle river kennels. I know nothing about either. I have three Ryman setters from october setters that I can recommend. Good Luck

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was luck enough to get to share my Llewellyn's "Jake" life. He was a friend, companion and loyal. Also did a pretty good job of finding bird's when we had them around here. They are a walking man's friend. Hunt close and look like a painting when they go on point. I would get another in a heart beat if there were bird's to hunt. Oh only fault with them is digging the bur's out of their beautiful coat's.
2skeet, There haven't been any wild birds around here for years either, but.
There are AKC Field trials and Hunt test you can do with your dogs, and they don't know or care that the birds aren't wild. It helps if you can ride a horse, but there are a lot of trials that are walking only as are hunt tests.
Go to the AKC website and search your state as we get closer to the fall season.
Of course to polish your dog you'll need to shoot some birds over him. That's what the preserves are for. ;-)
Nothing like watching a birddog do what he lives for. I don't care what breed he is!

·
Registered
274 Posts
While Berg Brother Setters is in Clearwater, Mn. they are Nationally recognized. Ben and Scott have one of the best programs out there. Assuming you're talking hunting and trial dogs.

https://bergbrothers.settersunlimited.com/

Berg Bros. Setters, located in Clearwater MN (320) 260-6585

Greg and Caryla Fryer of High Fly'n Kennels have moved to ND they used to be in Mn. And still go to Texas for winter training. They put out some fantastic Lew's also. Looks like they moved their website to facebook when they went to ND.

Can't go wrong with either of those 2. Be careful what you ask for, they will give you the raw goods but a lot of work is involved from that "point" on LOL. You can also get started dogs from either but it will cost you. A lot.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I wouldn't limit yourself to Llewellins. A good setter out of FDSB stock will do as well or better if trained correctly. I've owned both and I've seen good and bad in both lines. It is much easier to find what you are looking for in other lines of setters.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Llewellyn are great dogs. I lost mine err--my wife's on Saturday night. Annie picked to bond with Jean, my wife. Annie went to the rainbow bridge on Saturday night. She was 9 1/2. It's a very lonely house this AM.

·
Registered
687 Posts
As a boy growing up in central Wisconsin, my dad had a Llewellyn, "Mose", who was as described above; rugged, would hold point forever, and had a lot of pheasants shot over him. In those days, long gone, there were quite a few birds when farming practices were much different. He was a big, gentle cuss and was a great family dog as well as being terrific in the field.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts