Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
What caused all those cracks in the Urethane? Moisture?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What caused all those cracks in the Urethane? Moisture?
Probably a combination of using a hard brittle Urethane put on too thick over a surface of a different softer flexible finish that wasn’t prepped correctly. Also went thru a few freeze thaw cycles that didn’t help.
Doug

·
Registered
547 Posts
I’m following this... can you show step by step progress? What will you be spraying with and how do you not cover the grips?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a small crack that was repaired and filled to match a mold line in the wood. The checkering will be shot with a light coat of finish then masked off before the final coats of clear are applied.

Doug

27726658-067C-45D6-8AC2-B085A3F532A5.png

·
Registered
547 Posts
What finish will you be spraying. I’ve sprayed everything from Minwax to DuPont Acrylic to Lacquer to PPG on cars but I still haven’t tried a gun stock! And I’m dying to!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I can’t wait to see it..... will you wet sand and buff it like a car too?
Only if I have to. I spray 2 coats at a time with sanding in between with Abranet and a palm sander. Usually I put 10-12 coats on in a controlled spray booth. If the stock is raw wood I’ll brush and sand 5-6 coats first before spraying.
Doug

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
How about a close picture of some of those beautiful stocks in the background!!!

Reactions: JSkolar1
1 - 20 of 20 Posts