Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spiral rings in the end of the barrel that are put there by Ljutic.....

A. Do they cause the wad to spin or twist?

B. Or do they simply slow the wad and allow seperation of the shot and wad?

C. Both?

One thing is for sure, you can tell when a barrels choke is factory correct by checking for the spirals.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
B is your answer. The funny thing is the choke tube guns will produce the same pattern percentage as the gun with the rings. ;)

Ajax

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Had a Ljutic with 2 barrel set once. One barrel fixed....032 and the other with factory chokes. Unfortunately never patterned either one. Both barrels smoked targets right out of the box. As usual, at this point, suffering from a little sellers remorse.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You have to keep the barrel clean to keep those rings from filling with plastic etc. No question you get harder hits as a result of the rings. They work as described above. Many years ago I was in Yakima getting a gun fitted and I was fortunate enough to spend an afternoon shooting with Al Ljutic and the question of the rings came up. They have an effect on the wads.

The most interesting thing is the rings came about as the result of a machining mistake. The machinists out there will understand what happened. Al was boring a choke on the lathe, was in a hurry and forgot to back off the boring bar and quickly backed out the bar and as always happens those grooves were cut. He said what the H... took the gun out and shot it and got impressive breaks. The rest is history. True story I was there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.