Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been out of the ATA game for a while and would like to jump back in. i need to acquire a single barrel and have been looking around. at my club there are two guns for sale and very fair prices; a ljutic x73 and a perazzi mx3 top single.

question for you knowledgeable people => which would serve me better.

btw - both fit/feel/handle equally well. i am concerned about long term resellability, reliability, durability, etc.

any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated

·
Administrator
8,648 Posts
You really should take the opportunity to try both if you can that way you can have alittle better idea of what will work for you.I feel that most shotguns that a shooter will purchase will be ok but are a work in progress till you get the desired fit and feel along with POI. There are times where you will pick up a shotgun and it will feel great and others just will not have the feel you are looking for right away.The lujtic and the Perazzi are great choices and I do not think you would go wrong with either one :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ljutic, especially used is in my opinion better. The Ljutics are great value used and will be about half the price of a new one. For resellability, it will probably sell for the same price as you get it used. I got mine used for 4,000, MSRP was probably about 8000, I could probably re sell it for 4000 or so. Even with the fixed full factory choke, I just shot 97 an hour ago. Try to shoot both if you can because both will last longer than you

·
Vendor
19,768 Posts
Top CA shooters are still shooting a MX3. It is a "cult gun" for good reason. Balance, weight, rib... You will shoot it better and faster than a L73

·
Registered
857 Posts
You can always add a barrel on the Perazzi. In some areas, like by me, it's a little harder to sell a Lunitic gun.
I have a friend who had one he couldn't miss with. He went to Lujtic and asked them to build one just like it with some upgrades. Sold his before getting the new one. You know where this is going. He could not hit anything with the new one. Sold it and took a beating on it. So if you can shoot them, do it. If you find it is good for you ,keep it.
We look at used guns and see general wear and worry it's worn out. It just means someone had a lot of fun and good luck with it. They just shoot good. You can always fix them when they need fixin.
Dan
Ps. If you are going to shoot promotional shells, make sure they eject. Hearing a lot of problems with steel cased shells. Gun Club, Top Gun and others.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
"The Ljutics are great value used and will be about half the price of a new one."
Give that used Ljutic a real hard look..shoot it enough to know it's what you want and if so...buy it, and you'll never need to shop for another gun.
Some folks enjoy changing guns every so often...if that's your idea of fun, be very careful buying a Ljutic. Even buying pre-owned can cost you in some markets.
I'm a 100 % fan of Ljutics. I've owned all the others over the years and did well with them but nothing quite compares to a Ljutic when you want to get serious.
I don't know why the marketplace has failed to support the prices on Ljutic shotguns to the same extent it has for the other high-end guns, but it's undeniably true.
My advice to anyone is that if you can afford it, at some point in your ATA career...you should own a Ljutic.
My further advice is NEVER buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
MX3 Special. Especially if you ever want to give doubles a try. They move well, the triggers on them are pretty good, they hold their value better, they offer much great flexibility with all the barrel (unlike a regular MX3, the MX3 Special barrels will interchange with any square mono bloc Perazzi such as MX8s) and trigger interchangeability, and there are probably a lot more options for getting someone to work on it if it ever needs servicing.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
To those that feel a Ljutic is too heavy, especially in front, try a Pro-3 or LTX. I went thru about ten Monoguns before, quite by accident, I aquired a Pro-3. I had to buy the Pro-3 as part of a package deal to get the K-80 I wanted. Long story short--the K-80 is long gone. The Pro-3 is a keeper. Swings like my MX-3 Special TS Combo but feels like a higher quality piece in operation with a much better trigger. Nothing against Perazzis, I have four. But they all could be bought. Not so the Pro-3. Marc

PS: Ljutics are very easy to reload quickly for doubles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Between the the Ljutic and regular MX3, I might take Ljutic. If it were an MX3 Special, I'd take the MX3 Special in a heartbeat, especially if it was a combo with the O/U barrels.

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
This call is all yours. Dependability is there with both. Your likely to put more parts in the P gun than the Ljutic.

I will say that in all probability, you'll learn to shoot the Perazzi better, faster than the Ljutic.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If you find a Ljutic that fits and shoots where you look, there is no other gun, not for me anyway. I have an extremely nice MX-3 Special Combo (32/34") and a MX-8 (32" O/U). I shoot both of these P-guns well. I have been shooting P-guns since 1972, taking me to AA and 27yd HC. I have shot K-guns and SS and most med or high end guns. But then I pick up my Pro-3 and a feeling overcomes me--DADDY'S HOME. I will say there was a definite learning curve to shooting the Ljutic as It was designed to shoot POI quite a bit higher (80/20) than I was used to. Not all Ljutics have the same POI but this one and I have learned to get along quite well. Marc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts