Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used Ljutic Mono gun. It has aftermarket wood on it. Unsure of the maker.

The forend is extremely tight and very hard to get to latch and unlatch. I have removed the hardware from the forend and completely cleaned and then lightly oiled the moving parts. I put a light coat of grease on the latch where it contacts the barrel lug also. I then reassembled it and it is still extremely tight when trying to latch and unlatch. The wood isn't hitting anywhere, it is just the latch mechanism. Is there any "adjustment" in these pieces? Is it something I will need a gunsmith to look at and possibly polish or relieve some metal somewhere?

This is my first Ljutic, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I have never had a gun that is so hard to install and remove the forend.

I can supply pictures if someone wants to see anything in particular.

TIA

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Gussers congrats on the mono gun :) Got one myself recently and I really like it. As far as the forend Im not sure but I would think that someone will have an answer shortly.Maybey Ron who goes by Lujtic73

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I also have a monogun I bought last fall. Found the forend very hard to get off, but some of that was due to it being a bit awkward in comparison to my other guns. Had to push that button in hard and hold it down. It's either breaking in or I'm getting the hang of it but it does take two hands (at least for me). I stand the gun up, push the button in with my right thumb, my left hand grasps the bbl above the wood (thumb down toward the receiver) and I lever the forend off by pushing outward on the front edge with my thumb. To get it back on I have to line it up correctly and push/pull pretty hard toward the receiver while putting upward pressure on it. Snaps right in. If all else fails, call Ljutic.

Must also say...I really like this gun!

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think it should break in. How old is it? Mine isn't too difficult to remove but mine was 21 years old when I got it. I also spray oil into the clasp that locks onto the barrel lug. If there is something to adjust you'd have to take it apart.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how old it is, or how many rounds it has throught it.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
The forend on a Monogun and it's means of attachment are a bit different than my X73. The barrel channel on the custom forend might be inletted a bit too tight. When I restocked my Ljutic back in the 90's I kept working the barrel channel with my inletting barrel channel scrapers and "prussian blue" to get a perfect fit. I think I would show yours to a reputable gunsmith with Ljutic experience or a stockmaker and see if he thinks it needs some gentle wood removal to achieve a better fit.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Before I sold it, the first time I tried to clean my Ljutic, I struggled with getting the forearm off as well. I called the seller and verified there wasn't some sort of trick to it and he said no trick - just awkward compared to other guns. It's difficult to explain the routine but I depressed the button with my thumb while holding the gun pointed up, and grabbed the top edges with my other fingertips and pulled back and down. May want to apply a tiny dab of grease on the barrel lug; generally, I apply a bit of grease on the inside of the gun anywhere I see wear.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
There is no adjustment to the fore end, unless you take some wood out of the barrel channel.

If you do, as it wears in the fore end will become loose. Then you'll be trying to shim it up with tape!

Suffer with it for awhile and all will be good.

Stand the gun on its pad, hold the barrel at the top of the fore end with your right hand, and use your thumb to push the fore end away from the barrel as you push the button with your left thumb.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Jimmy Ljutic.

They just were at our Pacific Grand, so you could reach Jimmy or Mike (the gunsmith) on Monday

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What Ajax recommended is a good start........also there is a way to adjust the latch mechanism. Call Ljutic.....they may be able to walk you thru it. They adjusted mine at the 2004 Grand in Vandalia and it took all of 3 minutes. Of course it was their skilled gunsmith do the adjusting.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I should have said "for the every day guy". If you're good with a file and know what you're doing. Yes it can be done.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have said "for the every day guy". If you're good with a file and know what you're doing. Yes it can be done.

I'll call Ljutic tomorrow. I am extremely mechanically inclined. Been fabricating/maching and wrenching for 29 years. If they can walk me through it, I will do it. If not I will take it to a smith to have it done.

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts