Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gun club states that no live ammo can be placed in a gun before it is your turn to shoot (trap). Many experienced shooters have a problem with this as they are all shoot ready. As a puller, I have no problem with this if it is an experienced shooter or a squad of the same. what are your feelings as far as a squad member having a live shell in his gun before it is his turn to shoot.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
The club apparently has little to no experience with registered ATA shooting (and if they do shoot ATA, then they're really idiotic). Whenever I see clubs like this, they're usually non-registered places catering to members with experience shooting USPSA, Sporting, etc. but with zero knowledge of registered trap shooting.

It's ignorant, and there is no use for it.

As long as everybody is on the HOT FIRING LINE with their GUN POINTED DOWNRANGE (ie, are not changing stations), it's no safety concern of anybody's whether their gun is loaded or closed before it's their time to shoot. In skeet and Sporting, it matters; in Trap, it doesn't. When THE FIRING LINE IS HOT, people on the firing line should be allowed to load and close. The ATA rules have always addressed the specific situation for when shooters are changing stations. As long as those rules are observed, there is zero issue.

So there. Cheers!

buzzy

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Different clubs have different rules...

Personally, I feel a live shell in gun is fine as long as breech is open. Do not close the action until it is your turn to shoot.

I know many experienced shooters close their action 2-3 shooters before it is there turn, many clubs allow it, but I am not a big fan of it.

SW

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
As a part-time RSO at a Five Star facility, I can tell you the insurance adjusters and lawyers often make the difference whether a club can operate or not.

I am on the job to insure a safe shooting environment. Obey the range rules or get off the range.

If you can get the rules changed, go for it.

BTW, I am one who loads my open O/U before it is my time to shoot, close when it is my time. If I shot at a range that had other rules, I would comply with them.

Just because they do something you do not agree with, that does not make them ignorant, but makes you sound arrogant.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Coach,

Organizations like the ATA have had this issue figured out, for decades...and the last I checked, they get insurance for their shoots just fine.

If a club feels the need to disregard that experience and re-invent the wheel - that's ignorant.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fellow shooters. I am not looking for an argument, but a point I can take to my club as a director. I understand the ATA rules and regulations, and agree with them. I understand the experienced shooter not being able to be "shoot ready". I want to propose to my club that an experienced puller with knowledge of ATA rules can implement safety rules without an outside party infringing on his field. Please keep your comments coming. I truly appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
With autos, if you don't close your gun as someone ahead of you shoots then you normally set off the voice release costing the club extra targets. Don Kerce

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check out international trap, if I remember right they even walk between posts with loaded (albeit open) guns. The only exception is the long walk from 5 to the ready position behind 1. They are required to empty the gun of fired hulls and live shells before they turn to leave 5.

·
Registered
16,616 Posts
Both pumps and autos set off the mikes if you don't close them at the right time.

If you wait till your turn you probably alter the squad rhythm. May or may not be an issue.

I close my gun when the guy before my neighbor shoots. lIf I have a glitch I have time to fix it.

HM

·
Banned
996 Posts
I hate it when someone next to me loads there auto of pump next to me when I'm getting ready to call my bird. I would like to see everyone close there action when it is their turn to fire.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I shoot with a Competition Synthetic 1100, It has never sent a bird downrange by closing the bolt. I always load and close the bolt when the shooter to my right takes his shot. There have been other threads and posts about this subject and out of curiosity I have tried various methods of loading and shooting. From my standpoint all work equally well for me, its just a matter of changing the time I drop the round in and hit the release.
Factors to consider for a club relate to SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY....
Use ATA, use PITA, use NRA, whatever rules you choose to copy or make up your own based on SAFETY and then enforce those rules with no exception so all shooters on the line know the process and follow the process and all know what to expect......... Shooter "wishes" are secondary, SAFETY is primary.... Larry

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Ed C,

I have shot on European ranges, and while they do walk, if you are caught doing so with a live round in the gun you will be disqualified. Typically shells are removed from the gun and held in the off hand as you walk.

What I dislike about shooters loading early is not so much that the firearm is loaded or not, but all the movement done in the process. It is stated, rather clearly, that you may not interfere with another shooter in anyway. If you are closing your gun, preparing your mount, etc. while I am shooting and I can see it are you not doing exactly that?

Simple solution, when you see this, stop your shot, open your action, perhaps examine the shell... thus leaving the guy there pointing his gun down range for a decent time. After four or five shots like that they will most likely get the idea.

This being said, one of the people I most enjoy shooting with loads, closes and pre-mounts his gun before his turn... BUT as I come up on my shot he FREEZES so as not to interfere - that is correct and polite shooting.

·
Registered
355 Posts
2llc, Don't you mean you always load and close the bolt when the shooter to my LEFT takes his shot. If not I wouldn't be on that line! Joe

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hlds I would not shoot if the shooter to my right had his gun mounted. Frozen or not.

I do not MOVE during the shooter to my lefts "time". I owe it to him or her to not be a distraction.

Bill

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
After a shoot I reload but never close the action till I'm ready to shoulder the gun. Just a matter of safety for me. If moving from station to station the gun is empty till I get to the next post.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Never heard of a club that wouldn't allow one to load his gun before their shot. Guess I haven't been to them all.

Your asking for validation to allow a live round to be inserted in said gun. What is theirs for not allowing till shooters turn?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Trapshooting has a very safe history. Little quirky rules like this at some clubs are a solution without a demonstrated problem. Control your muzzle and I don't care when you load the gun when on your post.

Bob

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
The original post was about club rules, not ATA rules. ATA and ISSF rules do not exempt club rules.

This might be in the insurance policy. As I said, I prefer to put a fresh round in my gun before my turn to shoot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts