Trapshooters Forum banner

Littleton Shot Maker

6150 Views 15 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  chipking
I know a guy who has one and he loves it. I have seen his shot and it looks fine. I was told if you get one to get one that is 220 volt. It works better then a 110 volt.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
If you are worried about the time it takes. You probably wont do it. I just got one this summer. Never seen it done. Or even knew anyone that did it before. Only tips I got were from TS.com folks. I probably made 600 pounds or so this summer. It would take a few hours to set up, make shot and clean up for about 40 lbs at a time.

The coolant would get too warm and I would have to quit. Which was fine because I was ready to quit any ways.

It is pretty cool to shoot a straight with your own shot, in your own reloads. But it isnt a timesaver. Just another part of shooting, reloading.

There are a few tricks to learn. But when you screw up you just remelt, and reuse your mistakes.

· Registered
288 Posts
TC, I havent done anything special at all to stop oxidation. Havent had the problem. Maybe the coolant I used has something to with that. Purex laundry detergent. Maybe how well I rinsed it off had something to do with that??? Used graphite with the first batch I made. That made more of a mess than I ever hope to see again. Not doing that again.

halfmile, I have found that if you do make the ingots and clean up the lead you make better quality, more consistantly round shot. I only use my home made shot for practice, so I dont feel this step is necessary. My shot works great at 16 yards and handicap to 23 yards or so. If I were using it for competition I would clean it up, make the ingots. For what i use it for, it's a redundant, un-needed step.

I get a big kick out using my own shot. It's fun to make and use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.