Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all. One of the shortest, but most memorable white tail hunts. I am very fortunate to have a place to hunt that is so prolific for free. My boy and my Stepdad probably passed on this guy when he was young. The meat had a little game to it, but it made tons of jerky and summer sausage that tasted just fine. Time to fill the freezer again...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Taxidermist told me to expect to wait several months to get my mount back (partially because I waited a few weeks after the season), but that I would not be disappointed. He was right. The good taxidermists around here do it full time and charge a fair price for nice work. Fast and cheap gets you a whitetail mount that looks like a donkey with antlers thrown on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't officially score it because although you can't tell, one antler required some repair by the taxidermist. The total spread is due to eyeballing what looks good. Long story short, my boy shot off one antler near the base. Big deer, though. My stepdad has spent countless hours bow and rifle hunting on his land where this was shot, and he says he has never seen such a trophy buck.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Wait so did the shot that broke the antler off give the deer a heart attack? Either way beautiful deer and mount! Hats off to your son!! True trophy of a lifetime!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, here's the whole story condensed the best way I know how.

Mom is a bit of environmentalist and prefers that we take a doe first and not "trophy" hunt. She agrees that since we have eliminated natural predators and we need to help keep the population under control (without car crashes when possible), that hunting deer is OK, especially when harvesting doe. That, and she married me knowing that I hunt.

Opening morning son and I see an 8-point and a couple of does, but can't get a shot because they are behind the stand, in the sun, through the brush. We watch them for about 15 minutes and this buck walks up almost beneath our stand. I say to my son "holy [email protected]#$ that is a big deer, shoot it". He pulls up his rifle and shoots the deer at a range of maybe 20 yards. Drops where he stood. We go back to the house to get the tractor to haul him up for slaughter. Get back to the site of the shooting, and this deer is now standing up, nose against a tree, totally oblivious. Brain dead, I presume. We did not bring a gun back from the house, so my son hauls butt back to get his rifle. Deer doesn't move, and the boy makes a humane kill through the heart. Turns out, due to proximity and distance, the original kill shot was through the spine, but he missed just a bit low (due to close proximity) and a little bit right. The first shot knocked off one antler and at least caused a massive concussion. I still tease my son that he is the only person I know to turn a 13-point buck into a 7-point. That, and I made him pay for the extra taxidermy fee to repair the antler (he is now 16 and not flush with cash).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The odds of a better buck are not good, in a lifetime of hunting, I would think.
That's one fine Whitetail.
So, the not so official, as shown, score is?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The odds of a better buck are not good, in a lifetime of hunting, I would think.
That's one fine Whitetail.
So, the not so official, as shown, score is?
Haven't done many scores, but I would guess 160-ish? One atypical brow tine knocks down the score a bit, but a nice tall, wide rack. Certainly the reason why we walk out to the woods on countless cold, dark mornings.

·
Banned
Perazzi TM1/Perazzi MX8
544 Posts
As long as we're measuring....replica mount of my pb lake trout to date. 35"x 20" C&R flatlining 8lb test with an F11 chartreuse/silver rapala in 7' of water.

B5B1BE90-7BB6-4BCE-986F-F239113A18F8.jpeg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When doing an unofficial score around here - "this ain't figure skating - we don't do deductions."
All I really know for sure is that this was the biggest buck I have ever seen while carrying the the means, during the season when I could shoot it. I love living vicariously through my son. Hunting helps foster a magical bond between kids and their parents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts