Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list of winning trap shooters and the shotguns they used in both the nationals and state shoots over the years from the 1890-s to present?
Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
From 1895 until 1902, Sporting Life reported guns, powder and hulls used by competitors in major shoots; including the GAHs. Summaries are here, along with links to the complete reports
Top Guns at the Traps

1896 GAH
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1896/VOL_27_NO_02/SL2702020.pdf
http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1896/VOL_27_NO_02/SL2702021.pdf
Guns: Smith - 23, Greener - 21, Parker - 16, Francotte - 10, Lefever - 7, 4 Scotts, 4 Winchesters, Remingtons, Purdeys, Colt - 2 each, Lang, Hollenbeck, Westley Richards, Grant, and Lancaster - 1 each.
(It took a lot of fine print reading and counting to get the numbers together so if you are planning an article please say something nice about my work :) )

Thereafter, the guns used by various champions could usually be gleaned from advertisements.
I have little after about 1915.

And BTW: The L.C. Smith Trophy was awarded to State Championship winners starting with the Ohio Trapshooters' League in 1888.
Trapshooting
In 1890 is was accompanied by a $500 prize
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1890/VOL_15_NO_05/SL1505014.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just interested in which shotguns were used by the winners. Is there any information concerning trap loads used? Since plastic wads were not yet invented, was there anything protecting the shot from the bore or did they just use hard shot?
Thanks for all of your information that you sent.
Jim

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
1900 Shotshells & Ballistics

1904 Winchester Loads

1904 U.M.C.

c. 1914 U.M.C. advertisements listed Remington Arrow 12g with 1 1/8 oz. shot and 26 gr. Infallible and 32 gr. Walsrode Dense Smokeless powder. Nitro Club had 3 Dram DuPont Bulk Smokeless with 1 1/8 oz. shot.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hard shot didn't come into the mainstream until about 1980. I don't remember Winchester, Remington, or Federal saying that they offers hard shot. I didn't have access to hard shot till then. I started shooting about 1967. Everyone shot a Model 12 except some guys with a lot of money. They shot Ithaca single barrels and belguim Brownings. It was that way until Ljutic and Perazzi's started showing up. When Browning in 1969 came out with the BT-99 to compete in looks with the Ithaca SB. febleww were sold. Perazzi became popular quickly around here. Kreghoff wasn't popular here in Northern Ohio. There were only 2 here at the time. My Dad had a San Remo that he didn't shoot, and another guy had a Super crown that blew up. That kinda put a damper on Kreghoffs back then. There were a number of Remington model 32's. I dunno if that helps.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Shotgun Sports use to post an interview with all the ATA first team members/Grand winners every year. Guns, preferred shells, etc. Then the owner/editor, I believe his last name was Kodi or similiar, sold out and it ended.
Learned a lot from that rag.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Used to be when you won they asked you brand of gun and shells. They still did that at least a couple of years ago at the grand, tells you when the last time I won anything at the Grand. I don't know what they did if anything with the info. Haven't seen any such info in print in years.

Don

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Always found it interesting that people will follow what type of gun somebody wins with. Not that I criticize it one way or another. Whatever floats your boat and I guess that interest some people! I remember when Dan Bonillas was the hot shot of the day. Until then, hardly anybody shot a Perazzi ( heck a lot of people had never heard of one) and Winchester paper ** Super Targets were rarely seen. All of a sudden the ground was littered with those red Super Target hulls and it seemed everybody and their brother was ordering one of those spaghetti guns! Trouble was , they couldn't shoot them like Bonillas! I am more interested in learning a winners technique than what their gun or preferred shell is. Pete McCall was one of the greatest doubles shooters I ever saw and he used an old beat up Super X 1 that he washed out with a garden hose! Rudy Etchen is nothing short of a "legend" in the trap shooting world . I shot with him in the late 70s and early 80s and was in awe of what he could do with a shotgun! He was a better trap shooter than 99.99% of those of us here on TS.COM will ever be and he used an Remington 870! But, like I said .whatever floats your boat. :088:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hard shot didn't come into the mainstream until about 1980. I don't remember Winchester, Remington, or Federal saying that they offers hard shot. I didn't have access to hard shot till then. I started shooting about 1967. Everyone shot a Model 12 except some guys with a lot of money. They shot Ithaca single barrels and belguim Brownings. It was that way until Ljutic and Perazzi's started showing up. When Browning in 1969 came out with the BT-99 to compete in looks with the Ithaca SB. febleww were sold. Perazzi became popular quickly around here. Kreghoff wasn't popular here in Northern Ohio. There were only 2 here at the time. My Dad had a San Remo that he didn't shoot, and another guy had a Super crown that blew up. That kinda put a damper on Kreghoffs back then. There were a number of Remington model 32's. I dunno if that helps.
I see this is older thread, but I just going over them. Question- never shot an older Ithica like a 4E, see they were shot by a lot in 60's and 70's . Are the ones made after 63-64 better than ones built in 70's. Would they still be good shooters today. Why I ask-myy mentor shot a 4E with no front bead. He joked one looks at bird not front bead. Shot it well, Always liked the looks of them . I have a CG combo now, just love it. Thanks ahead for comments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find it interesting that Pete McCall shot a Super X1 and Rudy Etchen shot a Remington 870.

Thank you, that really floats my boat.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
For years Trap and Firld would never identify the gun used by anyone. It appears they were trying not to upset their advertisers. That's why there's so little information about the winner's guns.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I always wondered why trap shooting didn’t have an equipment lists. Most rifle competitions they have each person fill out what they are using for equipment, and post it with the scores.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is slightly more to it than gauge. And I would care to know. It might help a beginner decide what choke, shot size, load and gun to buy. Ya think?

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Sure. Good idea. Most beginners should consider combo sets so they can shoot singles, handicap, & doubles. Following the current competitors at the champion level, the beginner might opt for Kreighoff, Perazzi, Blaser sets or maybe a nice Silver Seitz. Probably be wise to budget $12,000 to maybe a nice round $20,000 just to be safe. Don't forget another $5,000 for custom stock & fitting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
To some money’s no object. To me it is. I’m just saying I’d like to see an equipment list if you don’t, close your eyes.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
GAH Wins

R.A. Welch won the 1893 inauguration of the Grand American Handicap with a Parker

T.W. Morfey won in 1894; gun unknown. (He used a Parker at the 1896 GAH with 53 gr. “E.C.” = 3 3/4 Dr. Eq.)

J.G. Messner won in 1895 with a Parker

O.R. Dickey won in 1896 with a Parker

T.A. Marshall won in 1897 and 1899 (the only 2 time winner) with a Cashmore

E.D. Fulford won in 1898 with a Remington Hammerless Model of 1894

H.D. Bates won the 1900 GAH at Live Birds with a Parker

Rolla Heikes won the (1st) 1900 GAH at Targets with a Remington Hammerless

E.C. Griffith used a Parker to win both the 1901 GAH at Live Birds and at Targets

H. C. Hirschy won the (last) 1902 GAH at Live Birds with a Smith

Charles Floyd won the 1902 GAH at Targets with a Parker

Martin Diefenderfer won the 1903 GAH with a Lefever

R.D. Guptil won in 1904 with Winchester Repeating Shotgun

R.R. Barber won both the 1905 Preliminary and Grand American Handicaps with a Lefever. High Professional in the G.A.H. was W.C. Hearne with a Marlin pump.

F.E. Rogers won the 1906 GAH with a Smith. The Professional Championship was won by Walter Huff with a Parker; R.O. Heikes was 2nd with a Remington Autoloading Shotgun.

Jeff J. Blanks won in 1907 with a Remington Autoloading Shotgun. Professional Championship by W.R. Crosby with a Parker.

Fred Harlow won in 1908 with a Remington Autoloading Shotgun. George Roll won the Amateur Championship with a Stannard & Moran SBT. In the Professional Championship Fred Gilbert (Parker) and R.R. Barber (Lefever) tied; Gilbert won the shoot-off.

GAH in 1909 won by Fred Shattuck (Parker), of Columbus, Ohio by a score 116x120 in a shoot-off over John R. Livingston (Winchester pump), of Springville, Ala., (19 yds.), William Wettleaf, (Parker) of Nichols, Ia., (19 yds.) and George E. Burns (Winchester pump), of Cleveland, O., (16 yds.) High Professional Average for 16-Yard Single Targets won by Mrs. Ad. Topperwein (Winchester pump). Fred Gilbert won the Professional Championship with a Parker.

Riley Thompson won the 1910 GAH with a Parker – 1st 100x100. Harvey McMurchey (Smith) was runner-up with 99. C.G. Spencer (Winchester pump) won the Professional Championship.

Harvey Dixon won the 1911 GAH with a Smith. The (1st) National Professional Championship at 200 singles won by Les German with a Parker.

W. E. Phillips won the 1912 Grand American Handicapafter the shoot-off with H.D. Duckham; with 96 from 19 Yards then 18x20 in the shoot-off using a Remington pump. Professional GAH won by C.A. “Sparrow” Young (Winchester). W.R. Crosby (Parker) won the National Professional Championship.

Mark S. Hootman won the 1913 GAH with a Winchester Repeater. Amateur Championship of the US won by Bart Lewis with a Smith. Professional Championshipby Charles A. Young 197x200 at 22 yards (Winchester Repeater)

Woolfolk Henderson the 1914 GAH with a 98x100 from 22 yards, the Amateur Championship of U.S. with a 99x100 from 16 yds, and the Amateur Doubles Championship of the U.S. with 90x100 from 16 yds.
(That may have been the last win with a SxS.)

L.B. Clarke won the 1915 GAH and Charles Newsome the National Amateur Championship; both with Daly SBTs (1st SBT win).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts