Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
I would recomend a comercially availavle finish like permaline or Chempack Pro custom oil. Both available from brownells. Japan drier works but you have to experiment to much.

Just my opinion but I do finish guns for a living.

Joe

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Don't waste your time with linseed oil. It offers little protection. I think gun fitter meant Permalyn. It's my favorite. A tough, hard finish and easy to repair.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
The interesting thing about "boiled linseed oil" is that it's not boiled at all (at least 99% of the stuff currently being sold, anyway). For a better true oil finish on furniture, jewelry boxes, etc., Watco Danish Oil does a great job. It's a hybrid mixture avaolable in various tints. If you let it dry a few days, it can also be topped with lacquer like Deft and rubbed to a beautiful lustre. This can also be done on gun stocks, but the finish is not as durable and moisture resistant as some other finishes. I like Danish Oil + Lacquer primarily because it looks like an old-school fine furniture finish instead of the "plastic coated" look of polyurethane and some of the other "modern" finishes. It's also easier to repair if it gets nicked/scratched. -Gary

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention -- regardless of whether you're building-up Permalyn or multiple layers of lacquer, etc., be sure to use 0000 steel wool or fine Scoth-Brite between coats. Rub in same direction as grain when possible. -Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.