Trapshooters Forum banner

Limit IDs on TS.com

4223 Views 87 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Hipshot 3
David & Fellow TS.com Posters,

This is getting to be a very serious problem-puts all of our credibility on the line. This needs this seprate thread on TS.com-so I'm starting this new thread

should this site require only registered people with only one personnel ID and one business ID to post messages on this site?

although we have 1st amendment rights that are protected by the second amendment, we have to reduce some freedoms so that this democracy doesnt slander posters or make them looks like fools

thats my solution

What sayest you?

Regards from Iowa.

Gene
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

· Registered
25,339 Posts
"All threads containing personal attacks will be deleted."<br>
<br>
Ha. That's a steamin' mound. There are plenty of personal attacks that stay up. I daresay nearly all of them.<br>
<br>
The simple enforcement of this one line would do wonders around here.

· Registered
400 Posts
Okay gang, I found a great guide to internet etiquette by Tom Andry which I'll post here and in its own thread:

How do I best express my views on the Internet?

There are specific rules regarding the Internet. OPRA knows almost none of them but he is pretty sure that if you have an opinion on something you should definitely find a forum that has little or nothing to do with the subject at hand and start posting away. There are quite a few techniques involved in a really well done argument. I’ll list a few here:

Providing Evidence – Googling is an important skill that shows your superior ability at wringing the Internet dry in an attempt to find as many sources of confirmation for your opinion as possible. The more obscure the better. Bonus points if you have to use a translation program to read it.

Brevity – Come on, you know it works. When people spend oodles of time debunking every misconception you have, coming back with a one word response is the ultimate. Especially if you draw it out like “twwwwwwwwwooooooooooooo……” Classic.

Clarity – Why use one word when you can use two? Why use one paragraph when you can use ten? If your uber-response is so long no one will read it, you win!

Making it Personal – One can never underestimate the power of belittling another. It may be useful to stir up debate by calling people cows or sheep or other barnyard animals. This stimulates the discussion by getting people personally involved and is generally considered good form. It is especially effective if you target something that is completely superfluous to the topic at hand. Grammar and spelling are obvious targets. Hanging prepositions are less obvious but show your superior intellect (not that the cretons will understand it). Ripping on someone’s avatar is always a good ploy, especially if they were fool enough to use a picture of their wife or child.

Taking the High Ground – Saying things like, “When you grow up…” or “Aren’t you still in diapers…” is always a good way to keep the discussion on track. People love to be reminded of that condescending Father/Uncle/Teacher. I know I do.

Graphics – Try to find/invent/makeup some sort of graph, chart, or pictorial representation of your argument. Make sure you label it clearly “What I believe” and “All that other crap that is wrong and only idiots would believe.” This definitely provides credence to your debating skills.

Logic Puzzles – Start as many sentences as possible saying what you will not do, then say “but” and do it anyways. For example, “I don’t want to say that you are a moron but you are a moron.” It confuses people because first they think you won’t say it, then you do, but you said you wouldn’t so you must not have… By the time they figure it out, you’ve already won the argument.

Inviting a Friend – If you’ve got a couple of brainwashed stooges that worship the self-righteous ground you walk on, have them sign up and support you. Better yet, invent one! If no one will talk to you because they just can’t get over how wrong they are, invent a couple of alternative identities and post away. Sure, it takes extra time but in the end, isn’t a virtual buddy better than no buddy?

Referencing – Scholastic journals and peer reviewed articles love to cite other people’s work. You should do the same. But, since you are the authoritative voice on pretty much everything, whom do you cite? Easy – yourself. Post something brilliant (that shouldn’t be too hard). Then when people refute it, refer back to it (preferably with links). Obviously, this is a good spot for a personal insult or a “but” statement as they must be dense if they can’t see the truth behind your half-baked theorems, convoluted logic, and pseudo-science.

Getting Management Involved – Nothing asserts your righteous Alpha-maleness than telling the management to go stuff themselves. Even better, berate them online, get banned, then demand to be unbanned with a formal apology. You can tell how often that works by the number of posts in the “Formal Apology” thread in the “I Don’t Give a Crap” forum.

Word to the wise – Rational arguments based in fact or (gasp!) common sense have NO PLACE on the Internet. Take those discussions elsewhere my friend. We’re not buying what you’re selling and we don’t take to your kind around here. If you want that, go make some real friends. Loser.

· Premium Member
10,641 Posts
I modify my post on the other thread

Curvey should run for office--- ATA----

LOL

She has the skills-- at least when writing -- to deal with the varied personalities she would must face

regards from Iowa

Gene

· Registered
107 Posts
"All threads containing personal attacks will be deleted."

Why is it that those who complain about personal attacks are the very ones who are the guiltiest of using them?

Why is it that those who complain about curse words are the ones who use them the most? Sure, they use symbols (*) for one or more letter, but thinly discussed curse words are still curse words.

Yes indeed, hypocracy is alive and well on ts.com.

· Registered
14 Posts
Reading this forum is a lot like mining diamonds. You dig through a lot of dirt for a few gems.

Eliminating multiple IDs is just about impossible, but making it more difficult to get an ID makes a lot of sense. Requiring a valid email address to confirm the account and only allowing one ID per email account are very common requirements for online forums. I also agree that separating the forum into a few categories makes a lot of sense. It will make it much easier to find what you are looking for.

There are plenty of forum software vendors available that will do all of this for very little money. I would be willing to make a donation to help improve the site.

Rob

· Registered
3,995 Posts
Does anyone know that it is possible to identify mucltiple user accounts by looking at the IP address log files? Log onto your computer, log into a forum, there is an entry made there. It contains a time stamp and IP address, at the very least. Log into another acount and BINGO, the same IP address shows up.It isn't brain surgery. You just need to do the work to ferret them all out. On a free site, what can you expect. There are searchable statistics provided by some servers, that can do this in seconds. Do you really think you are anonymous? There are ways to get around some of it, but it's too much trouble for what it's worth. Let the people that have the multiple personality disorders do their thing. It's sometimes entertaining and it keeps them from getting out and causing trouble in the real world. It would be fun to blow their cover and their reputations if the data were made public. Possible, but not needed.

As for re-configuring the site, it depends a lot on the resources that are available. It may well be that there are some limitations at the moment. Time is another factor that may limit any reconstruction efforts. Just WHO would do it and for FREE, no less! I don't think this site generates a lot of revenue, in excess of what it costs to run, if even that much.

· Registered
6,516 Posts
I stated this once before on another thread, but checking I.D.s agains IP addresses only tells youthat the same computer is being used for multiple accounts. It doesn't tell you who is using that computer.

For families who have one computer, if an IP address were limited to one sign on name, only one person would be able to have a screen name on ts.com. What if a ts.com member were to visit another for vacation? What about kids who don't have a computer at home and are relegated to the library?

I hope that my ts.com friends would be able to use my computer if they came to my house to see me, or if they wanted to borrow my laptop at the range. I certainly wouldn't want them to use my screen name in order to be able to post!

· Registered
3,995 Posts
Hi Recurvey:

I would certainly not advocate issuing ID's by IP or limiting access by IP. Monitoring IPs would just allow suspicious activity to be logged and noticed if need be. If there were multiple, successive posts in a thread from one IP under several different ID's, it would look a little odd. It would only become useful if there were a case of severe abuse of forum rules and/or etiquette. The point is that you are not generally anonymous and sometimes the use/abuse of multiple ID's can be shown by patterns of usage. There can certainly be instances where the IP adress is shared by a network behind a router and two or more users could be logged on simultaneously.

There should also be no major restrictions on obtaining an ID/Account either. It would be like limiting access to public shooting ranges. Only the elite could attend. We need all the participants we can get, in the sport and in the support. Almost EVERY poster has provided some useful input at one time or another, even if it is only humor, or sacrificing themselves by providing someone for other posters to pick on.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
admiral Art:

I can easily put my IP out in the middle of the Atlantic, or somewhere in the middle east. Why would I go through the trouble? It's simply the trend and not the absolute IP address used. If you logged in through your neighbor's wireless, you could also be guilty of a crime in some localities. If you CAN log into your neighbor's wireless, they are just too dumb to have one anyway. Mine is locked down tight. There are at least 3 or 4 open at any time near me also. I just don't bother them about it, and I really don't like my neighbors anyway. It's simply that some people don't know what information is logged on networks. Work or your ISP's and every server/network that your data travels through, it doesn't matter. I've seen people fired over IM chats that were logged and intercepted that contained prohibited/sensitive communications. Does anyone actually think they are truly anonymous and nobody can see what they are doing? If you like the risks of using open network hotspots, be my guest. I value my data and systems integrity more than a free connection to the net. I use a modified laptop on open networks and have no trouble. Others have not been so fortunate.

People with the time and need to hide themselves behind cloaked IP adresses and use multiple personalities/User ID's to post in forums have way too many issues to list here. They might be better off with professional help. Like I said in a previous post. They are sometimes entertaining and provide a twist to the forum. I'm not condoning it either, But if someone chooses to be a miscreant, why stop them. Eventually they are discovered and it may reflect poorly on their reputations if their conduct was poor.

· Registered
25,339 Posts
Some of you are very naive about how the Internet operates.<br>
<br>
Some ISPs (Internet Service Provider) can have literally hundreds and hundreds of users sharing the same exact IP address. This is very common with Internet via cable TV, for example. But large blocks of AOL are that way too.<br>
<br>
And some ISPs can have a different IP address for each local exchange office. For example, I can call up several local numbers for my ISP in surrounding towns, and surf the web with a totally unique IP from each one.<br>
<br>
Or, I can go a step further and simply proxy an IP. There are vast numbers of proxy IP addresses. Vast. And I can change proxy IP addresses at will, within a minute or two.<br>
<br>
Email accounts can be created at will, and can be spoofed.<br>
<br>
There is only one viable, workable solution, and that's to have a staff of volunteer moderators who will delete the destructive posts on sight. The trick is to chose level-headed people who have a belief in freedom of speech and will strive to uphold that as much as possible, while enforcing the rules. They need the authority to delete posts, and to suspend accounts of those who create accounts for the sole purpose of disrupting the site or attacking others.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
admiral art:

SysOp is a good place to be! I always wondered why they had a strange smile on their face. It's the "Know All" look! I would rather clean the netlogs AFTER copying them. You never know when you needed a little leverage.

My Laptop is loaded with Linux and has no personal info on it either. I sometimes use a Live Linux disk and pull the drive, using a USB dongle for storage, if I need it.

My neighbors deserve what they get. I'm just not going to be the one to give it to them, although I've certainly thought about it. I think they have laws against that.

It would take one seriously disturbed individual to go through extensive measures to hide. I'm sure there are a few on this forum, but they are still fun to watch.

And YES! I'm ALWAYS RIGHT! I'm also not married anymore either, so I'm allowed! :-}

Brian:

If you would like to be a Moderator, I have no objection. Just understand you can't quit right after you ZAP your other identity! BOTH personalities get the job!:-} Truthfully, It's a thankless position and will certainly make you a much crabbier person. You will also grow to hate spammers with a passion like no other.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
it amazes me...here we are...a good step into the 21st century and people are still ignorant about the ease of identity theft and fraud.

Sadly...some wont learn until it is THEIR bank account that gets emptied, or their IP that gets spoofed for a DoA attack on a military site.

Some of you really need to catch up on the dangers of internet instead of taking the gambles you are willing to take.

Remember...it isnt always gonna be "the other person" who get it...one of these days it just may be you. And you'll kick yourself when it happens because you'll remember this thread and say..."damn..I guess those guys werent kidding"

· Registered
234 Posts
The simple fix would be to eliminate the option to log off and re-login under a different screen name. That particular option encourages multiple id's. Cookies (the computer kind) could help too.

Personally, I will not give out my full name or more than a general location. It's a personal thing. I also have only the one sign on name. While I have a "real" e-mail address, I never use it. Yahoo is just easier.

I love this site. Where else can someone talk shooting, guns, cars, humor, politics, washing machine repair and, much much more? It's wonderfully unorganized and lively. I don't even mind the trolls. Sometimes the posts are downright hillarious. Every day I learn something new about something.

There needs to be a code of ethics though. Name calling, personal attacks, bumping for sale ads three times a day, ect. It does get a little old. I can't think of a magic fix for this but there has to be a way.

I learned from a site that my daughter visits that moderators can let the power go to their heads. Moderator on a site like this would be a full time job. I guess that in order to keep this site so lively is to just live with the few bad eggs and just go on the way we have been. It's sad that there are those among us that have to act like six year olds.

Regards,
Shawn

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.