Trapshooters Forum banner

Limit IDs on TS.com

4208 Views 87 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Hipshot 3
David & Fellow TS.com Posters,

This is getting to be a very serious problem-puts all of our credibility on the line. This needs this seprate thread on TS.com-so I'm starting this new thread

should this site require only registered people with only one personnel ID and one business ID to post messages on this site?

although we have 1st amendment rights that are protected by the second amendment, we have to reduce some freedoms so that this democracy doesnt slander posters or make them looks like fools

thats my solution

What sayest you?

Regards from Iowa.

Gene
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

· Registered
791 Posts
After, attempting to but not being able to read all the above posts, I have come to the conclusion it should not be a requirement to post a persons real name. For I am sure many of those that post here do not really know who they really are anyway.

I will post my real name. And to insure that information is correct, I took the time to go look at myself in a mirror, then took out the drivers license in the wallet I had in my pocket, and sure enough I can truthfully state I am who I think I am. I think. - Jim Elliott

· Registered
31 Posts
Correct Tron, you were not the first troll on this forum but impacted it in a way previous ones had not.

Was that an apology we heard in your last post? Thanks for the honesty; that shows some character. If an apology, I'll accept and we'll go on from here. Welcome to our wonderful trapshooting fraternity and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I, and many others I know, have.

BTW, being successful as a trapshooting competitor and being successful in ones vocation, raising and educating children and generally being family oriented are not necessarily mutually exclusive. They can happen concurrently, really. Try not to make too many assumptions about things. Draw your own lines and allow others to draw theirs. Family first, ALWAYS.

You should really, at times,try to be MORE serious.

Best regards,

KF

· Registered
17,359 Posts
You don't have to look at your drivers license, we just had a thread about that....................

Also I think we should just make EVERYONE moderators. There will be plenty of bandwidth then, since just about everything except threads asking if one ounce loads are OK will be deleted.

the guy with the Kolar was right.......a bunch of old guys yelling at each other.

HM

· Registered
658 Posts
In response to intial thread:

Should we require two forms of ID in order to post??? Yes!!! of course!!! And they should all be white,,,and all believe in your God,,and George Bush too!!!

Reduce freedoms???? We should "hunt-you" Gene,,over open ground!!!

Now then!!!! The rest of the posts:

We have gone through this many times before!!!! We don't need seperate rooms!!!! You don't walk into the clubhouse and demand that everyone that is talking about something besides shooting go into another room!!!! If you did,,the room would be,,the "emergency room" to get your nose straightened back out on your face!!!

You don't ruin a good thing like Trapshooters.com!!!! Look at those "other" sites that seperated into differant rooms,,BOOOOOORRRRRING!!!!!!!!!!! DEAD!!! of no practical value!!!!!!!!!!

I challenge anyone of you to count the number of threads available!!!! Some people said in their above posts,,,"Its hard to find trapshooting threads" (cry,,whine,,sniffle),,another says.."the majority of the posts are not shooting related",,(cry,,whine,,sniffle,,shit your pants and need changing) Count'um yourselves!!!! The majority of threads ARE shooting related,,and thats a fact!!!!! To say anything else is deceitfull to the rest of us,,,and shows most to be outright hypocrites,,because this is not a shooting related thread,,,and its them that continues on,,,and then try to change everything for the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't like it!!!! Then dammit,,don't open it,,,and then respond to say your're "offended" by its content!!! Get a life...........

AKA Grammie...........

· Registered
400 Posts
Okay, here's number 8:

8. Consider an improved search function for those having trouble finding trapshooting related topics.

P.S., Tron, I doubt you of all people were offended that I poked a little fun at your troll recovery success story.

And Jerber, that was pretty funny.

· Registered
6,516 Posts
Southpark You asked LCC, "What is wrong with you?" I used to hate that when my mom asked me that. There are times when legitimate threads get raunchy. The title could be a trap related question that changes as people make comments. Sometimes the comments made in jest take on a life of their own. We can't expect LCC to be like you (skip the thread), me (read it and laugh out loud), or anyone else (whatever they would do after coming across it). There is nothing wrong with him, he's just different than you.

---------------------

kriegfan, your post: "those who constantly attempt to outdo each other by sending cartoons and other unrelated fluff, those who are trying desperately to gain some kind of shallow popularity are a sad group indeed." That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but in my opinion you could be wrong about a lot of people.

For example, I am one of the ones who posts off topic threads (as well as threads that are trap-related). I am not trying to outdo anyone, I am merely interacting with my trap shooting buddies. Some live far away, and I don't get to see them that often. It's not a popularity contest. Some of the members are personal friends from before I became a ts.com member.

I have also met and shot with others on here as I get to know them and as I grow in the sport. It's comeradarie with like-minded people (trap shooters), it's not popularity.

There are some that post OT subjects that have donated their time to help others with gun problems, eyesight problems, computer problems, etc. That means that they GOT OFF the computer and actually transported their bodies to the range or to a member's home.

Like you, I have seen some people that post OT threads also shoot, and I have seen some shoot extremely well. If you are saying that people that talk about things other than trap cannot shoot and are not serious about the sport, you have an open invitation to come and shoot with me anytime you are able. I will buy your shells and pay for your rounds. It would be worth it to have the opportunity to prove to you that someone could both shoot and joke in a single lifetime.

I do agree with everyone that says we should divide the site into Trap, OT, and Sale/Wanted categories. I am not sure whether or not that would make David's job more difficult.

A membership fee is not a bad idea, either, but I would hope that a family membership would be available for those people that had multiple shooters in their household (husband, wife, kids, grandma...). I would suggest that student trapshooters be given a break in the price or be allowed to have a free membership (if they could prove that they were students).

Again, these are my opinions. I know you all have your own. I respect that.

· Registered
400 Posts
RecurvyArcher, the best part about your post is that I don't need to know your name to know you made a thoughtful, respectful post.

I did want to point out, however, that your mom may have been right all along, but I'll let it slide as I used to shoot a recurve bow too when I was younger.

· Registered
6,516 Posts
ok, there was a really bad storm here and by the time mine got posted, there were several additions that I could not read.

Grammie makes more sense than anybody this time around.

Again: kriegfan:

"BTW, being successful as a trapshooting competitor and being successful in ones vocation, raising and educating children and generally being family oriented are not necessarily mutually exclusive. They can happen concurrently, really. Try not to make too many assumptions about things. Draw your own lines and allow others to draw theirs."

My point is that joking around and being successful as a trapshooting competitor is not mutually exclusive.

· Registered
729 Posts
PEOPLE, WHY DON'T WE HAVE SOMEONE STAND OVER OUR SHOULDER WATCHING US TYPE HERE ON TS.com. WHY DON'T WE GET SOME NEO NAZI TS.com POLICE. FIRST OFFENCE WE CUT OFF FINGERS SECOND OFFENCE WE PUT YOU AGAINST THE WALL. HAVING A NUMBER OF ID'S JUST ADDS COLOR TO THE SITE. THINGS WOULD BE VERY VERY DULL. NO LIFE IF WE HAVE ONE ID. THERE WILL BE NO COLOR OR LIFE. BS IS PART OF ANY SITE LIKE IT OR NOT. YOU ALL WANT THIS SITE TO BECOME A COPY OF A SKEET SITE? YOU WANT THIS SITE TO HAVE THE LIFE AND COLOR OF A SKEET SITE? LEAVE THINGS LIKE IT IS OR ARE WE A BUNCH OF SKEETERS.

· Registered
31 Posts
RecurvyArcher: That's an interesting screen name. We not only have trapshooting in common, but it sounds like we both also enjoy archery, especially traditional archery. I bow hunt deer and bear with a Paul Shafer Silvertip. Even use cedar shafts and Zwickey black diamond delta broadheads. What kind of equipment do you prefer and do you enjoy hunting, target shooting or both? Ever try stump shooting through the woods?

Believe me, my group and I have a lot of fun when we shoot and we always respect our fellow shooters, both on and off the trap field. Your assumption that I think joking around (having fun) and trapshooting are mutually exclusive couldn't be farther from the truth. Your other assumptions are also off center.

To my way of thinking, having fun and joking around is great as long as it's not done at someone else's expense and not while on a trap field with loaded guns. If you disagree with this, then you may need to rethink. Not that it matters, but only for purposes of illustration, my group of friends and myself are serious competitors and take our game seriously....yet we still have lots of fun between traps and before and after the event. We always respect others in what we say and what we do.

The issue I was trying to discuss (albeit feebly) earlier this evening was with those, on or off TS.com, who choose to treat others in a disrespectful way; those who take serious, thoughtful questions from newer shooters and screw them around and ruin the discussion thread. Also those who contribute nothing except flaming someone or something. Why would someone do this? If you don't have the same problem as I do with this kind of activity, then that's fine with me. We can agree to disagree. Possibly you haven't been on TS.com long enough to have seen the things that some of us have mentioned. My point here is, what kind of responses would you prefer to receive if you were to take the time to ask a question that's of importance to you?

My comments that you quote were in response to Tron's original reply to me; they were directed to him. He and I are now singing out of the same hymnal and I hope he'll agree.

The other comment re: popularity must have hit a nerve with you. Did you think I was referring to you? Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I don't recall even reading any previous posts of yours.

As I indicated before, everyone is entitled to her/his own opinion. It sounds like we agree on that. Perception is reality. One of the best things about trapshooting is that it has something to offer everyone. Take from it what you will and give back something as well. Take it seriously or not, try to enhance your skills or not, load your own shells or not, shoot a Krieghoff or not, joke around while shooting or not and if it ceases to be fun for you then don't walk away from it, run away!

Best regards,

KF

· Registered
25,339 Posts
"Valid email addresses". How, exactly, are you defining what "valid" is? I registered here with a mailcity (now lycos) "throwaway" account because I don't have a personal email account. My internet account is my wife's and she uses the email soley for her business. There is no way in hell I will put that account onto the Internet so it can be spammed or made part of any database. Hell, I can't even access it myself, as I don't know the password.<br>
<br>
And as for "legit" email accounts, do you know how rediculously easy it is to get AOL email accounts by starting up bogus AOL internet accounts? Happens all the time with any ISP who sends out free trial software.<br>
<br>
Hell, as far as needing email accounts at all, one gun control discussion board decided that the best way to get rid of pro-gunners was to violate their privacy. So they wanted us to post with our email accounts, or our posts would not be considered "legitimate" opinion. They later made it a rule. Since this was at the height of the Million Mom March, I creatively made up an account that began with [email protected] Boy did they scream bloody murder over that one. But I simply followed their rule.<br>
<br>
"Real names". Sorry, but that is an invasion of privacy for some people. Perhaps some of you don't mind having your names made public, but some of us do not care to. If we wanted our full names on the Internet, we would have used our full names. I wonder how many "Smiths" and "Jones" such a rule might might make? One BBS that forced everyone to use real names ticked me off, so I posted there for a long time as Richard Cranium. Took them two years to figure that one out.<br>
<br>
"Only one user ID". Hoo boy, how are you going to police that other than by a moderator deleting the violators? It's all too easy to get around the system.<br>
<br>
"Require ATA/PITA/NSSA/Whatever numbers." Great way to freeze out beginners and ovices who have not elected to join an organization. I'm serious enough to be a trap club member, yet I do not belong to an organization. I guess I have no business on ts.com because I lack a number. This also violates privacy because your "real name" can be looked up. (Just like the guys who post with their HAM Radio callsigns, only their info lookup is even MORE specific.)<br>
<br>
The real solution is to get a moderator who is not afraid to whack the horseshit, yet respects freedom of speech as much as possible. It can be done. I know, because I'm a mod at a board with enough traffic that it makes this site look like peanuts. If the moderator does not want to make themselves known, then don't. Just quietly whack the jerks and leave it at that.

· Registered
400 Posts
I agree with 327. Except when what he says contradicts what I say. Then, obviously, he's wrong.

I agree with Brian in Oregon: I hate people who discriminate against "ovices" too! Some of my best friends are ovices.

· Registered
6,516 Posts
Southpark, if you ever get out my way, or if I ever get out your way, we can shoot trap AND we can get you back into shooting that recurve. There are more than a few on here that do both. I thought I was the only one o admit it, but now we have kriegfan, too. There are others ts.com-ers that also are into traditional archery.

We can tell an OT joke or two while we are at it. But not while we are shooting. I only joke around on ts.com. I don't have any fun at any other time. Just kidding...

-------------

kriegfan, it's not a good idea to play and shoot. I play separately here on ts.com. We are not shooting while we are playing here. Your post was about people putting up cartoons on this site and trying to "gain some kind of shallow popularity." You did not qualify that statement by saying that you were only referring to hijackers. The assumption that I may (or may not) have made was no doubt made by several who read your post.

I've been on this site for about 2 months, I think. I discovered it during a search on trapshooting, and then started posting. Some of my friends recognized my name (I've posted it several times, along with my email address), and we started kidding around on here. I have seen the flaming and the hijacking of which you speak. Although I am not an advocate, I can and have dealt with it. I have had my own legitimate trapshooting questions hijacked, and have been called names involving swear words on this site. I wouldn't quit ts.com because of it. I just read what I like, and try to use my voice of reason when I feel it is necessary, and ignore the rest and move on.

You wrote: "having fun and joking around is great as long as it's not done at someone else's expense and not while on a trap field with loaded guns. If you disagree with this, then you may need to rethink"

I have seen a lot of damn good lawyers use this style of placing words (and thoughts) that were never spoken (or thought) into the discussion. Neither your nor I said anything about the trap field, and as I just pointed out in my current post, you did not qualify and say that you were only talking about people who posted jokes at others' expense. By even stating that I may need to rethink, you are placing in the minds of subsequent readers that I just might agree (which is not the case). Where did you learn to argue like that? Subtle, yet effective if one has their mind on autopilot...

Since you twice brought up the question (in one single post) of whether or not I have a problem with flaming, hijacking, hurting other's feelings/reputation, etc., I will squelch any reader's doubts by again stating that I do not advocate this type of behavior. I don't participate in doing those things. On the other hand, I don't cry when somebody does it to me. I simply ignore it and move on. Life, for me, is too full of so many other wonderful things to be bothered too much by somebody else's moronic behavior.

You can't stop a drinker from drinking unless he wants to, and you can't stop a moron from being a moron, especially if the moron gets a lot of attention from just being a moron.

You are correct, the fact that you are an AAA, 27 yarder is not relevant, neither is your illustration, as we are not talking about the trap field, but the ts.com website.

The first thing that I quoted from your post was NOT in response to something from Tron, unless Tron deleted a prior post.

I don't joke while I shoot. I shoot a Remington 1100 trap gun. I don't hunt, as I am too much of a crybaby to kill anything. I shoot only targets. I had a 45 lb. Bear recurve that I sold to afford college books. I used Fast Flight strings and carbon arrows. I am looking at different bows now to see what I would like to purchase next. Really, the goal is competition for me, in both archery and trapshooting. I am starting to enjoy trap more than anything else that I do (I also compete my horses in dressage), and my goal is to work toward the highest level of competition possible. With time, effort, and good coaching (thank you, John!), I feel that I can get there. God willing and the creek don't rise.

----------------------------

If I ever offend anyone, you all know where to find me. I am willing to discuss any perceived transgressions. I have been known to be a woman and change my opinion as well, so there is no hard-headnesses from my end.

I really do care about the sport, and about each of my fellow trapshooters.

· Registered
25,339 Posts
Speaking of thread hijacking, it's "God willing and the Cree don't rise".<br>
<br>
Cree as in the Cree Indians. Just a bit of historical reference. Somewhere along the way, a long, long time ago, someone who didn't know about the Cree Indians must have assumed the word was "creek".

· Registered
6,516 Posts
I don't know...an old guy that used to be my boss introduced me to that phrase last year. Never heard it before that. He would have corrected me if I would have said it your way.

Get some sleep, Brian. LOL!!! Just kidding. Interesting history.

· Registered
2 Posts
If you want people to respect your submission please add your real name to your post.

Remember: Its easy to forget that you are responding to a person who can't see your face, hear your tone of voice, or judge your mood. You only have written words to communicate your point. Ask yourself if you would say this to that person's face before pressing Submit Message.

Make a good impression by taking the time to use correct spelling and grammar. Responses are stronger when they are clear, concise, and on topic. Avoid shouting: Responses written with all capital letters symbolize shouting. Use capital letters sparingly. A message in all caps is considered rude.

All threads containing personal attacks will be deleted. Remember the use of this site is a privilege not a right.

Rob Long

41 - 60 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.