Trapshooters Forum banner

Lightest Felt Recoil Semi Auto

19208 Views 127 Replies 102 Participants Last post by  MonTe
Well my shoulder injury has gotten to the point that I can no longer shoot my O/U, even with light 1oz low velocity loads.

My friend swears by his Remington Versa Max. I'd like a wooden stocked trap model with adjustable comb.

Any suggestions?
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
31tc
226 Posts
I also have an issue with recoil so for that I shoot a lot of 3/4 ounce reloads. As far as semi auto guns I shoot a 391 gold sport and an 1100. The 3/4 ounce loads work both of them. Also shoot an 1187 for skeet. They'll be guys chime in and tell you 3/4 ounce loads are only a good way to get beat by other shooters using heavier loads and that may be true but if it keeps a person shooting rather than quitting it sounds good to me.

· Premium Member
2,393 Posts
I have several autos that I sometimes shoot with 1 oz loads and felt recoil is almost non-existent. Recommend you try several different autos so you can obtain the best fit. There are recoil devices, i.e. pro-stock that I've heard are very effective in taming recoil that might keep you with your current o/u.

· Registered
732 Posts
I like the beretta i shoot a 390 I built in to a acs gun for helice I shoot 1oz and 1 1/8oz at 1300fps and 1oz trap loads very light on recoil the 1oz has almost no felt recoil. I use to shoot an 1100 it was nice but to much matince. I had a ber 391 trap with the ber wieght in the stock no recoil at all! I think you will find a trap version in a beretta a Remington and butler. I don't think the browning came in a trap model. The beretta a400 multi target is really nice.

· Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Blackstewart, this doesn't really answer your question but it is an alternative for your situation. Have you considered a PFS stock for your current O/U? You can search the many threads on TS.com on how a PFS has helped several members in your similar situation. You will not be getting used to a new gun so the familiarity of your gun doesn't change. They can be tuned to your specific loads and do an incredible job of not only proper fit but recoil reduction. Good luck in finding whatever it is that helps you continue in the sport. Good shooting, Rey

· Registered
6,148 Posts
I used to have shoulder issues and changed to Beretta semis over a decade ago.

Shot 391s and switched to a A400 Multitarget a few years back. Also shoot nothing but 1 oz. loads.

Shoulder problems went away quickly.

"Nuff said!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Registered
13,531 Posts
If you don't think the PFS stock is going to give you the desired help?

I too will kick in and say try the newer Beretta A400 auto, or even the older 391's. Theirs lots of used ones around if you look on the internet. If you don't want to buy a new one. Depending on how severe your problem is? You may want to look into shooting a 20 auto? Both gauge shotguns are lighter to start with, so mounting the gun will be easier on your back and your shoulders. These guns also kick less as well. What's not to like. On a side note: I've tried the kick-off feature from Beretta. I did not care for it much. The shotgun moved forward and backward to much for my taste, shooting true pairs. Of course I did not have a shoulder issue. If you think this movement might be a problem for you? You may want to jump right into the 20 ga. auto. If you don't think this move a problem? Then buying the 12 ga. auto with the kick-off feature might be a option? The only way to get a lighter recoil than from a gas operated 20 ga. auto is too go to a 28 or 410 gauge shotgun. Both of which require the need to reload all your ammo. Which will not do your shoulder any good? Good Luck to you and your need to keep shooting. break em all jeff

1 - 20 of 128 Posts