Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old age and back problems are giving me trouble shooting my existing trap guns. I tried the Fabarms' Velocity and loved the gun but it was too heavy. What are my other options? My existing guns start at 9lbs 6oz.

I tried a precision fit stock and could not get used to it against my face. I know lighter gun means more recoil and that is a problem. I'm recoil sensitive and have Rad systems on my guns.

I started to lift weights to build up my back muscles to help with the problem in the mean time. I would appreciate any input you might have. Thanks for your help in advance.

Joe M

·
Registered
33,719 Posts
It might be a quest to find some, but perhaps an older model of yesteryear?

The Remington 1100?

The Winchester Model 50? Lightweight, points like a M12, really soft shooter, but hard to find a trap model.

Winchester SX 2 or 3? Not trap guns, usually Sporting Clays with incorrect pitch for trap.

Not for me, but a Benelli or Beretta?

All light weight but good recoil dampers. Nobody understands how difficult back pain is unless they have it. Before I overcame mine, I could not pickup a five pound sack of potatoes without severe pain and two days to recover. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
33,719 Posts
Recoil Less is heavy!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Remington 1100 with a lighter contour barrel and a Jack West Pro-Combo stock. Probably nothing out there that kicks less. I would say go for an 1100 Competition-Synthetic except you said you were worried about weight and the ProBore barrels weigh more than a light contour fixed choke barrel.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,939 Posts
Just got out my trigger scale and went out to the gun safes. I have three Ljutic's that all in the 8 lbs. range

My Pro 3 with a lighter weight walnut that Ljutic was offering last year is 8 lbs. 3 oz.

My LTX with a Bills Recoil System is just a frog hair under 8 lbs.

My Centennial Pro with adj. comb hardware is 8 Lbs 2 oz. This shotgun has a built in factory recoil system.

My wife is having a Lady Ljutic (LTX with shorter pistol grip) built now and we are working to get that right at 8 Lbs.

The wife and I shoot nothing but 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 shells and recoil is not a problem.

You may want to call Mike at the Ljutic plant and see what they can do for you (509) 930-0910.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Joe,

I had to put away my Perazzi MX 15 a few years ago as my left shoulder started to fail. Ultimately went to a K80 with a 32 " unsingle barrel and Precision Fit stock.. It made a great deal of difference. Had a complete shoulder replacement in reverse and am just about ready to start shooting again. Might be able to go back to the MX15.

Hank Cross

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Recoil Less is heavy!

He is not complaining about recoil, but the weight of the gun, not about face slap, but back pain.
BROWNING Recoilless TRAP 12 gauge Single shot, 27” Invector Plus choked barrel (have one in 30" also), 3 choke tubes, 2 3/4" chamber, 2 white bead sights, adjustable point-of-impact rib. Black alloy receiver. Adjustable comb height buttstock, adjustable length of pull from 13 13/16” to 14 9/16" (more if more spacers used), adjustable height buttpad. Gloss poly finish. This gun reduces recoil to that of a 28 ga, with 1 ounce loads – really amazing. Factory box and accessories. 9 lb 1 oz. .

That's 5ozs. less than the lightest gun he presently has.

Yes he most definetly is commenting about recoil sensitivity.I highlighted where he states such. Also, I did not say the recoiless would stop face slap and he did not state that being an issue.

Old age and back problems are giving me trouble shooting my existing trap guns. I tried the Fabarms' Velocity and loved the gun but it was too heavy. What are my other options? My existing guns start at 9lbs 6oz.

I tried a precision fit stock and could not get used to it against my face. I know lighter gun means more recoil and that is a problem. I'm recoil sensitive and have Rad systems on my guns.

I started to lift weights to build up my back muscles to help with the problem in the mean time. I would appreciate any input you might have. Thanks for your help in advance.

Joe M

·
Premium Member
6,320 Posts
Not owning a Fabram Velocity, I went over and checked the specs. At their stated weight, the Recoiless will be to heavy as well. But so will 1100's,BT99 plus and so forth.

You may be better off stepping down to something such as an LT1100 in 20ga and putting a trap stock on it.

·
Registered
33,719 Posts
Pheasantmaster, sorry, I missed recoil sensitive comment and amended my thread. The 27 inch Recoil Less is lighter than the 30" but the 27 is harder to find. I had still have my 30 and it does get tiresome to lift after a while. Another problem is light 1 oz or light 7/8 oz loads will not cycle the action on the Recoil Less, so then you end up re cocking the thing over and over. In spite of that, I still love the thing.

Main reason I was suggesting semi auto loaders was jmheritage's mentioning the Velocity. Just about any semi auto is coming in around 7 lbs. And again, light loads can be a problem cycling the gun. The only soft shooter I have found that will cycle 7/8 oz loads with about 1145 fps velocity is the Winchester SX2, but it needs a trap stock and a higher rib.

I tried a Sporting Clays version of the Velocity and it hurt. Even with an auto loader, gun fit is necessary.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Some thoughts:
Google Build a better back by Dr. Ron Davis and buy a copy of his video, this alone will put on the right track to a stronger and less painful back and will improve your overall quality of life but only if you commit to a daily routine. Lifting weights may be hurting not helping your back. If you want t o lift something lift your gun but only after you've done back stretching and back strengthing exercises outlined in Dr. Davis video or some other qualified back improvement program. In the case of Dr.Davis video, you will get to point where you can edit the daily routine down to about 15 minutes and have the results you're looking for. If you're overweight get it off.

Guns: Because a gun mount in trap is static you can have the weight bias in the stock which will transfer weight away from the barrel and forarm making for a lighter load ahead of your hands reducing strain on your back. You may have to change the way you mount your gun keeping it close to your body when bringing up and into you shoulder, this alone may a reduce large amount of back back strain. I would revisit a PFS with Ultimate comb feature which has a more traditional comb and allows you to have a custom comb made if you so desire.

Bottom Line: A lighter gun and lighter loads will solve part of your problem but unless you dedicate yourself to improving the cause a weak and painful back, lighter guns and loads won't take you very far for very long. It's up to you to decide if the effort of a dedicated improvment program is worth the investment.

I'm in my seventies with a horrible back, I feel your pain.......... It's up to you.

Surfer

·
Administrator
8,667 Posts
I have had a chance to check out one of the Guns/Unlimited Browning 725s with adj. comb and gracoil reduction unit and they perform nicely.Say 1oz 8s or 1 1/8 lite target it will make a nice unsingle that is very adjustable and good handling charictaristics.Worth looking at. Shoot well George

·
Registered
778 Posts
I also have the Fabarm XLR 5 and love it, but it is pretty big and heavy. Two buddies just got the Beretta A400Xcel and LOVE THEM!!! My one friend ran 75 straight with it right out of the box! They are really light and virtually no recoil. It has me thinking! lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts