Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could use a lighter Longshot Powder load than Hodgdon has listed in their tables.

I am building a Skeet load.

This is what I have tried from their table:
Winchester 2 3/4" compression formed AA plastic shell.
Gauge: 12
Lead Shot 1 1/8 #7.5
Hodgdon Longshot Win. 209 WAA12 32.1 grs 9,200 PSI 1,420

Could I load a 30 grs load?
What would be the lowest you would recommend?

Thank you for your time. Paul

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Thank you all! I guess I need to move on. Probably end up selling it and getting some Winchester Super Handicap as a replacement. Thanks again for your support.
I would not recommend Super Handicap, unless that's all that is available. You would be much better off with something along the lines of, Clays, Clay Dot, Red Dot, Titewad, 700x or Super Target.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Thank you all! I guess I need to move on. Probably end up selling it and getting some Winchester Super Handicap as a replacement. Thanks again for your support.
Super Handicap is too slow burning. Buy Super Target. Or E3. Or Red Dot. Or ....

· Registered
13,503 Posts
I am building a Skeet load.
There is a very nice load listed on Hodgdon's website for 16.5 grains of Longshot powder in a load!!! The Only Problem Is, you have to load it with 7/8 oz. of shot in a 20 ga. hull!!!

For skeet, I would go with a one oz. load of (hard) shot, pushed with Clay's powder at 1,180 fps!!! Nothing better IMO!!!

· Registered
2,393 Posts
Longshot works great for skeet in the 28 gauge loads but certainly not for light 12 gauge loads. Lots of really good powders out there that have already been mentioned. Also, save yourself some additional money by going down to 1 oz. of lead. Most practice rounds I shoot are with 7/8 oz. of lead. At 25 yards or less you don't need all that lead.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been pretty happy with Titewad, I picked some up because it was available. I’m using the recipe printed on the can...
1 1/8 oz. in Remington hulls & wads. Shoots great and surprisingly clean!
Cool. Will check out that recipe. Thank you.
There is a very nice load listed on Hodgdon's website for 16.5 grains of Longshot powder in a load!!! The Only Problem Is, you have to load it with 7/8 oz. of shot in a 20 ga. hull!!!

For skeet, I would go with a one oz. load of (hard) shot, pushed with Clay's powder at 1,180 fps!!! Nothing better IMO!!!
Thank you!

· Registered
4,491 Posts
Gauge: 12
Lead Shot 1 1/8 #7.5
Hodgdon Longshot Win. 209 WAA12 32.1 grs 9,200 PSI 1,420

Could I load a 30 grs load?
What would be the lowest you would recommend?

Thank you for your time. Paul
It's almost like you're trying to lose money by reloading.

At my dealer, Longshot costs $13.00 more than Red Dot for 8 lbs, and you need almost twice as much Longshot than Red Dot to achieve the same result!! Red Dot would require about 17.8 - 18.0 grains to give you a great skeet load.

Also, consider dropping down to 1 oz for more economy.....your misses won't be due to a lack of 1/8 oz of shot!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.