Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a light weight trap gun $800 or less. I have a bt99 now and it is killing my left shoulder from holding it up. I had left shoulder reconstruction surgery 5 yrs ago after an accident. Since that time it wont take any strain. I cant work overhead eic. What gun is lighter than my bt99 and still not expensive? Just a casual shooter. Any ideas is apprec.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Maybe a Remington 11-87 with a light contour barrel will do the job for you and they cost less than $800.00. JM

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Try putting 8 to 12 ounces of lead in the butt stock of the BT-99 as close to the recoil pad as possible. That should change the balance of the gun and take the pressure off your left hand. Sounds like you haave a torn rotator cuff. HMB

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
870 Rem. Trap or field guns are not too bad as long as there is no weight or recoil devices in the stock or Mag. tube. You will only want to shoot 7/8oz. or slow 1oz. loads though.
There even some 28" Trap barrels out there also.

·
Sky Buster
4,034 Posts
The BT is about the lighest trap gun you can find. That's why they
kick like they do. If you can hold up a Beretta 391 or Excel 400,
you will experience less recoil into your shoulder.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Might want to just invest in a goo aluminum construction recoil device..the increase in rearward weight and taking the punch out of the gun will hopefully give your shoulder a bit of relief that you don't tire so fast...a few great guys on here can fix you up

·
Registered
168 Posts
When my Dad had trouble shooting his bt (shoulder injury and age) I gave him a Benelli Sport I had in the safe. He shot it until he turned 86. It is the older version with interchangeable ribs and shims. You see them on gunbroker for $600-800. Just use Benelli Sport as the search.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you cant handle the addt wt. Consider a semi auto. Agree with the advice above Benelli or beretta. An 1100 or Super X to add to your list. They will shoot a lil flatter and make sure you get a shell catcher or you will be shooting alone. Lol.

·
Vendor
19,392 Posts
I have his problem and have overcome it. (for now anyway). My gun is around 9.5#. I use momentum by closing the gun and getting it moving while my gun is down and then on the way up. At that point I control the gun with my right hand, hold a parallel gun using my RH. My left arm/hand has little weight. I do have an advantage over ddhotbot tho, I set the trigger with the gun open and have full hand control and more than hot bot because I can use my full strength in my right hand.

Really.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Darn if I can think of anything much lighter than a BT-99. Maybe an 870 if recoil isn't a problem. If you add do-dads to the 870 to reduce recoil you'll likely increase weight, which is counter to your goal.

I don't think 1100s and 1187s are lighter than Bt-99s. Maybe some of the Beretta autos are, but I don't think they are lighter by much.

If lighter weight is really needed you might want to think about a 20 gauge auto. The old standard weight 1100 20 gauges are lighter but finding a screw-choked barrel could be difficult. The current production 1100/1187s 20 gauges are lighter yet, but may prove to be too light for trap. But if light is what you need they may be worth a try. Barrels may be shorter than what you are used to. But I'm not sure just what 20 gauge autos Remington currently produces, so you'll have to check on that yourself.

For 20 gauge ammo try standard 7/8 ounce target loads to start, and hope they are good enough. Heavier 20 gauges loads can me made to work but they are very dependent of finding the right choke for the load. That takes a bit of work. I don't believe there are any 20 gauge 1 ounce factory target loads produced currently.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
I think a 12 gauge trap stock can be easily adapted to fit the standard weight 20 gauge 1100s. Is this correct?

Is there any reason adjustable stocks cannot be installed on any 20 gauge auto including the lighter 20 gauge 1100/1187s produced currently?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
H&R Topper Trap, if you can find one - very light, won't bother your left arm at all.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A Beretta 391 20 ga with 30" barrel, choke tubes, stock shims for adjustment will start about 6.5 lbs. Of course, an adjustable comb can be added and weight and balance can be adjusted with any combination of barrel weight, magazine cap weight, magazine weight (brass plug) and/or weight in the butt.

I have one I tweaked up to 7.75 lbs and it swings and shoots 1 ounce loads just like a 12ga....just for grins. If I can get my daughter interested, it's what she'll start with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes my problem is a reconstructed left shoulder, I am right handed. So if i add a little weight to the stock real far back it should change the balance point and relieve the strain on my left shoulder. I will give that a try, thanks. how about the Remington spr 100 trap? or the hr topper trap?

·
Registered
76 Posts
A few ideas:
Try adding some weight to the butt stock of your BT.

Borrow a fellow shooter's BT with a shorter barrel and see how less weight "out-front" feels with your shoulder.

Consider acquiring a shorter barrel for your BT99, then adding some weight to the butt stock to balance/personalize the feel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A couple of people at one of the clubs I shoot at have an odd way of holding their shotguns. I don't know why but their method may work for you. They carry most of the weight in their right arm. The left elbow is tucked in tight to their chest and the left hand is positioned just forward of the trigger guard. That way the shoulder is not carrying the weight of the gun. It looks odd but works for them. I know when I had rotator cuff issues keeping my elbow tucked in helped with lifting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts