Trapshooters Forum banner

Light trigger pull, Good/Bad?

3865 Views 47 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Tom33
My Browning Pigeon grade that I’m learning to shoot has a very light trigger pull. The previous owner decided it needed trigger work and the result is pretty light. At first I didn’t care for it as I had one round let go before I was ready. Not a danger, as I was moving to the target and applied a little pressure I didn’t feel with a glove on. Missed of course. So, Now I barely touch it until I’m ready to seriously pull it.
Now prior to owning this gun, I was beginning to develop a flinch or yip I think it’s called, usually a couple per round. I would jerk the trigger hard and usually miss. Now with this gun, I have not had a flinch. I’m wondering with this light trigger, before the flinch can get started, the gun goes off. I suppose time will tell, but it’s interesting that the flinches seemed to have stopped.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
36,909 Posts
I have several trap guns with light triggers, most came that way from the manufacturer. I like a light trigger. I do not touch the trigger until I am ready to break the target.

Reactions: slide action

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
45 years ago, an All American of the time told me, "The key to a long career in shooting is this: Heavy triggers and light loads."
45 years later, it seems to be working.
A light trigger leads to flinching in a different way. Over time you will end up trying to pull the trigger “just enough” to fire the shot. But you won’t quite get it pulled. Then comes the internal head games. And worse flinching.

Triggers must be considered like a red headed step child. Slap hell out of them or you’ll end up needing a release.

· Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A light trigger leads to flinching in a different way. Over time you will end up trying to pull the trigger “just enough” to fire the shot. But you won’t quite get it pulled. Then comes the internal head games. And worse flinching.

Triggers must be considered like a red headed step child. Slap hell out of them or you’ll end up needing a release.
Good advice. I’ll pay attention to that. I hate a release trigger.

· Premium Member
312 Posts
I know people that think a six pound trigger pull is light and others that think a three pound pull is heavy. Without an actual pull weight from a gauge there is no way to opine on your question.
100%. Without a number, this discussion is meaningless. My main trap gun trigger is 3.5lbs, my main backup is 4lbs. They seem right. I don't know if that is light or heavy in this discussion

· Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
100%. Without a number, this discussion is meaningless. My main trap gun trigger is 3.5lbs, my main backup is 4lbs. They seem right. I don't know if that is light or heavy in this discussion
I think you two are missing my point. I have no idea what my trigger weight is, nor do I have any desire to measure it. To ME, my perception is that it is lighter than normal. As I stated, a gunsmith made it lighter than factory, By how much I have no clue. All my dozen or so Brownings that I have owned over the years have a PERCEIVED by ME, much heavier trigger pull. I’m comfortable with all of them. The post states that this trigger is lighter than I am used to. A number doesn’t matter to ME. Whether it is 1 pound or 5 pounds. I go by my feel when shooting a gun. I’ve owned over a hundred Guns of all configurations with many different felt triggers. Some excellent, some God awful. I never weighed any trigger pull nor asked what the pull weight was. If I didn’t like it, I didnt buy it. If one wants to go by stated trigger weight, great. If one wants to weigh their triggers great. I’m only saying that to me this trigger is touchy to the point that I have to pay attention when I’m shooting. My other guns do not require this type of attention. In fact, I’m considering have a smith increase the felt pull weight to make it feel better. I just haven’t made up my mind yet. Not disagreeing, but my view is felt weight is what matters and not a number.

· Registered
475 Posts
I think you two are missing my point. I have no idea what my trigger weight is, nor do I have any desire to measure it. To ME, my perception is that it is lighter than normal. As I stated, a gunsmith made it lighter than factory, By how much I have no clue. All my dozen or so Brownings that I have owned over the years have a PERCEIVED by ME, much heavier trigger pull. I’m comfortable with all of them. The post states that this trigger is lighter than I am used to. A number doesn’t matter to ME. Whether it is 1 pound or 5 pounds. I go by my feel when shooting a gun. I’ve owned over a hundred Guns of all configurations with many different felt triggers. Some excellent, some God awful. I never weighed any trigger pull nor asked what the pull weight was. If I didn’t like it, I didnt buy it. If one wants to go by stated trigger weight, great. If one wants to weigh their triggers great. I’m only saying that to me this trigger is touchy to the point that I have to pay attention when I’m shooting. My other guns do not require this type of attention. In fact, I’m considering have a smith increase the felt pull weight to make it feel better. I just haven’t made up my mind yet. Not disagreeing, but my view is felt weight is what matters and not a number.
That could be a thing. I mean this sport is very mental and if that is in your head I would have the weight increased to feel like your other guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,051 Posts
I don't know, made sense to me. Lots of people don't know the pound pressure number on their two guns, but they can tell the difference in pull weight if they aren't the same. One will be heavier than the other, if they're not equal.
The pound number doesn't create the difference, it only describes the difference that is already there.

· Registered
74 Posts
I personally find a 4lb trigger to be perfect on target shotguns.

I have 2 Browning 725s that are right there. BT99 is slightly heavier but still easy to shoot.

I like lighter triggers on my 1911s but not under 3.5lbs.

Bench rest rifles is another story. I like lighter triggers in this application.

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
My Browning Pigeon grade that I’m learning to shoot has a very light trigger pull. The previous owner decided it needed trigger work and the result is pretty light. At first I didn’t care for it as I had one round let go before I was ready. Not a danger, as I was moving to the target and applied a little pressure I didn’t feel with a glove on. Missed of course. So, Now I barely touch it until I’m ready to seriously pull it.
Now prior to owning this gun, I was beginning to develop a flinch or yip I think it’s called, usually a couple per round. I would jerk the trigger hard and usually miss. Now with this gun, I have not had a flinch. I’m wondering with this light trigger, before the flinch can get started, the gun goes off. I suppose time will tell, but it’s interesting that the flinches seemed to have stopped.
If your flenching with the old gun and torching it off early with the new gun then neither will work for you.
Find a good trigger man and see what he can do to help.

· Super Moderator
Perazzi MX10RS 32/34 Combo w/Allor tuned barrels, K80 Parcours 32"
3,739 Posts
Chief, you need to know your trigger pull weight. If it changes, and they do, it will affect your shooting and you probably won't realize that's the problem.
If you don't know what you have, how can you ever duplicate it?
Kinda trapshooting basics.

· Super Moderator
Perazzi MX10RS 32/34 Combo w/Allor tuned barrels, K80 Parcours 32"
3,739 Posts
I find trigger pull utterly a non issue shooting clay sports. Maybe I have never had a good trigger who knows but clays aren’t like shooting precision bench rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please share your ATA averages so we can weigh that advice.

· Registered
2,712 Posts
Your gunsmith is going to ask you what poundage you want your trigger set to. To tell him/her "a little heavier" means nothing. Most people who have shot enough can probably tell you within a pound of what a rifle trigger pull is. I would say maybe within 1 1/2 lbs for a shotgun. It's not rocket science and you shouldn't disregard the measuring concept.

That's like telling a police offer who pulled you over for doing 65 in a 45 that you felt like you were doing 40 🤣

· Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I guess you guys are right. Collectively I’m positive there’s more trapshooting experience there than I have. Perhaps I need to weigh my Browning triggers to see what they are. It would be interesting.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.