Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I got a Browning Citori 725 Trap Combo. It came with 2 Full chokes, 1 Light Full, 1 Improved Modified, and 1 Modified. Last year I switched to a Full choke from an Improved Modified, and I haven’t looked back. I’ve never owned a Light Full choke. Does anyone here use one? What advantages, if any, would it have over a Full choke?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have a 725 combo also, my Briley LF (.030 according to Briley) pretty much lives in the unsingle. I shoot singles and handicap is 25. Just change loads.
Can't say there's an advantage but shooting the best scores ever since I started shooting trap several years ago. Most likely the gun fit but I'm not changing.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Shoot a few rounds with the IM and a few with your Full. Study the breaks. Then ask yourself - do you really need something in-between the 2 ? If you do, put it in your gun and shoot it. Do you like it ? No one can tell how the choke is gonna perform in your gun - but you. So go figure it out for yourself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's some info I posted on shotgun world a while back that has some of my pattern numbers to give you and idea of the performance you might get from some trap chokes and loads.

Shotgunworld.com • Gun Club vs STS vs Nitro

Go to the last page to see all of my load and choke pattern numbers from additional Winchester loads, too.

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Last month I got a Browning Citori 725 Trap Combo. It came with 2 Full chokes, 1 Light Full, 1 Improved Modified, and 1 Modified. Last year I switched to a Full choke from an Improved Modified, and I haven’t looked back. I’ve never owned a Light Full choke. Does anyone here use one? What advantages, if any, would it have over a Full choke?
Lt. Full is my best shooting choke (Wilkinson). In Dr. Andrew Jones book he compared Lt. Full, Full, and Ex. Full and determined there was no SIGNIFICANT difference in the performance.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here's some info I posted on shotgun world a while back that has some of my pattern numbers to give you and idea of the performance you might get from some trap chokes and loads.

Go to the last page to see all of my load and choke pattern numbers from additional Winchester loads, too.

I'm sure there was considerable time spent doing your testing! ....Thank You for sharing this info at this forum at this time. ...Although the info is specific to your equipment, it gives a good representation of various data. .....This is the most comprehensive comparison testing I have read.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is just my .02 and to be honest it isn't worth that much. I started shooting trap with a benelli field gun shooting a mod choke. Once I decided I liked shooting I went and got a BT-99. My scores did improve with the BT-99, but I was reading into chokes to much. I started with a Mod choke only, because that is what was in field gun. After doing more research and I deiced to try a tighter choke. Then I started chasing the choke as I say. Different brands, different sizes, different always chasing it as I now call it. After a year of doing that I got a got deal on a perazzi combo set; the TC was full and OU was Mod/Full. I was going to send it in to get thin wall chokes installed . I didn't do it right away, because I could afford to do it right away. Well after shooting for a few months my hits went up and scores improved. I didn't have chokes to mess with and change out so there was no thinking involved with one part of shooting. I doubt that if I missing the bird with a full choke that I would have hit it with a more open choke. Pattern your gun and if you don't like it try a different brand, but trap singles is a full choke sport.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
BT-99 I respectively disagree that trap singles is a full choke sport.
You can consistently break real good scores with just about any choke, barrel length, shot size, brand of shell, etc from the 16 yard line.
If the gun fits you and shoots where you look you are good to go from there.
The rest is up to you and your ability.
I will agree you have to have confidence in your choices and have to find the right combination that works for YOU, good luck.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I'm sure there was considerable time spent doing your testing! ....Thank You for sharing this info at this forum at this time. ...Although the info is specific to your equipment, it gives a good representation of various data. .....This is the most comprehensive comparison testing I have read.
You need to get ahold of some the late Neil Winston’s work. He dedicated the latter part of his life to trap related testing. He did many many pattern tests with all the backing data. Good stuff.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Look the Bottom Line is: It does not make a difference what someone else did with a different shotgun with a different choke in it.

Its what your gun and your choke you are using.

To figure this out. You need to shoot on say 10 different days with one choke and figure your average. Now do the same with the other choke and figure your average. Now you will have your answer!!! Its your Journey, now go out and enjoy it. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
You can consistently break real good scores with just about any choke, barrel length, shot size, brand of shell, etc from the 16 yard line.
I will agree you have to have confidence in your choices and have to find the right combination that works for YOU, good luck.
To a degree most chokes can be effective at 16yds if you use front line bullets in warm weather and can place the center mass on the target.

But the problem is that for most folks that would use a more open choke is they acquire the target further out. When reducing constriction your not only increasing width of pellet spread, your also lengthening the pellet mass. This is where we enter into a scenario for targets to fly through the pattern unscathed.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Good work Joe!
How many patterns did you do per load/choke combination?

I'd be interested to see your data on such a bold claim.

I guess if real good score to you means an 80+ then that's probably solid advice. But, if you mean that it'll break every target your point at correctly then its bad advice.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
The devil invented the light full to create doubt and spread false hope.
If you shoot poorly you can blame it on the tubes.
Henry

·
Registered
799 Posts
It seems to me it’s a matter of personal choice. If I am doing my bit the Rhino Mod Choke in my DT 10 will smoke a 16 yard target and the .024 bottom barrel in my old MX 8 smoked 16 yard targets before the Beretta came along and still does for my son in law.
It depends what gives you confidence. I have lent a gun with a skeet choke in it to a good young shooter and watched him smoke 16 yard targets. He was unaware the gun had a skeet choke in it, he just shot the targets and was in the middle of everyone he shot at.
Devonian.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
hbar314,
I really wish I knew who you are so I can see if you are a trap shooter.
You have no name listed on this site so I can’t check.
Do you shoot registered trap?

And I guess I should have said some shooters could use any barrel, choke, shell, etc and break really good scores. I did have a disclaimer that it is up to your ability.
Singles are not hard to hit just easy to miss.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts