Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Duck.... Nothing beats a "Tico Tool", or "Bore Snake", lightly oiled and run through the barrel.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
5,247 Posts
My older Browning shotguns are notorious for flash rust. I use the TICO tool and then use a lightly oiled wooly snap-cap for storage...

j.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Find someone who has an old Tico Tool they're planning on junking. Cut off about a 3" section. Drill a small hole in the wooden shaft. Take an empty, deprimed hull and cut off the plastic part. Locate a drywall screw and attach the piece of old Tico Tool to the brass head. Oil it up well. Put it into the chamber immediately after cleaning with a Tico Tool. If you have a Browning (like me), it's a race against time. I swear, my chambers used to turn brown walking back to the truck. Now wonder they call them BROWNings. ;-) Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
You mean pull the buttstock off, clean barrels with "WadsOut", clean receiver with Gumout, blow dry with the air compressor, re-oil, blow dry again, reassemble? Twice a year tops.

After every shoot, registered or league, or practice, Tornado on an aluminum cleaning rod, Tico Tool, Tico Tool swab, insert home made wooly cap, wipe down with old oily hand towel and try to lay it back in the Browning box with out touching anything made of steel - like to hang onto the rib, or buttstock.

Have had a couple times when the rain beat me to the truck so I half-*ssed it and cleaned it when I got home.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
This is what works for me: once you've cleaned your barrel then put some gun oil on the patch and insert the cleaning rod just in front of the forcing cone and rotate it. I'm one of these people who clean my gun after I use it. It's always worked in my Brownings over decades. BT100dc

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have three Silver Seitz guns and all are notorious for flash rust in the chamber area. Outside temp, humidity and the hot shell all play their part in the flash rust. Since I noticed it in my first one, I started using a bore snake and wooly snap cap with Rem oil on it and put it in as soon as I am done shooting. No problems since! I use Renaissance wax on the entire outside, wood and metal. It's not cheap but a 2 oz. jar will last a very long time. Well worth the money to keep fine firearms in great shape. Good luck and keep em clean. Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts